• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tutoring (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

How well do you have to know your stuff to be a tutor?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
What are you trying to tutor?

I had my ESL student ask me what prepositions were and I had this massive blank for a while.

I don't think I ever had classes where it was like "kids, the following are prepositions" etc.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Depends on the subject and level.

HSC kids come up with the most annoying questions. If you're gonna tutor year 12s, you have to know EVERYTHING.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL just remember- we were all year12 students at one point in our lives...

... except maybe those who didn't do HSC.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
if ur going2 tutor, say, advanced english its best that u have actually done it in school. my tutor did advanced english when she was in yr 12 and she tutored me in stan. english and she was pretty crap @ it cos she didnt know what it involved even though it was 'simpler' than adv.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
lizziegirl said:
if ur going2 tutor, say, advanced english its best that u have actually done it in school. my tutor did advanced english when she was in yr 12 and she tutored me in stan. english and she was pretty crap @ it cos she didnt know what it involved even though it was 'simpler' than adv.
yeah but wouldnt that only be because she didnt do the texts you studied?
it would probably be wise to check your tutor has studied the texts you have. (well at least if not only for english)

i tutor a yr 7 girl in maths and english, and i only got 75 for maths :shy:

it really depends on what level you want to tutor, and also may depend on how struggling the student is. like for example, if you are tutoring a yr 12 student and then realise they dont know how to write essays, you will need to start looking at some fundamental english before you move anywhere near the text based things

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
Born Dancer said:
yeah but wouldnt that only be because she didnt do the texts you studied?
it would probably be wise to check your tutor has studied the texts you have. (well at least if not only for english)

i tutor a yr 7 girl in maths and english, and i only got 75 for maths :shy:

it really depends on what level you want to tutor, and also may depend on how struggling the student is. like for example, if you are tutoring a yr 12 student and then realise they dont know how to write essays, you will need to start looking at some fundamental english before you move anywhere near the text based things
touche :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)