• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UAI Troubles (1 Viewer)

jeb legs

HSC
gday i am doing year 12 at broken hill high school and last week i was called into the principal office along with half a dozen other students and we were told that we are not eligible for a UAI. Apparently one of my subjects was not a UAI course. That subject was Sports Coaching,and i had dropped biology so that ment i onl had 8 UAI units, why am am so annoyed is because they wait until i am a year through the course before they tell us that. i understand that the BOS cant cahnge rules for 6 students but is there anything we can do since the school stuffed up big time

The Teachers dont seem to care but it now means that unless i take back up Bio which means catching up on 6 months worth of work, i am not going to get a UAI.

Should i take this further and what can i do??

jaaaaay

HSC
omgsh… o_O they told you after you dropped it? that’s so slack… i srsly feel sorry for you… how can they do that??!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Hmm no offence but you would of known all this or at least should of known all this when you choose your subjects if you wanted a uai then you choose them accordingly and you know what you can and can't drop. You should of also been told this when you dropped bio or at least known about this yourself.

Not really anything you can do. You might be able to do a HSC course in 1 year including preliminary at Tafe but they start at the beginning of the year so you have missed the boat on that one.

jeb legs

HSC
yer i can see where u are comin from pritnep but the thing is they told us that it was a UAI subject, then realised that the stuffed up and change there minds.

I am not in the wrong cos if i was i wouldnt be asking for help. The teachers stuffed up and now we suffer the consequences

jaaaaay

HSC
pritnep said:
Hmm no offence but you would of known all this or at least should of known all this when you choose your subjects if you wanted a uai then you choose them accordingly and you know what you can and can't drop. You should of also been told this when you dropped bio or at least known about this yourself.

Not really anything you can do. You might be able to do a HSC course in 1 year including preliminary at Tafe but they start at the beginning of the year so you have missed the boat on that one.
yea true... he really should have thought hard about it before he decided to drop/choose subjects... and found as much information as possible before making a decision...

but still, i can't help feel sorry for this guy! the year/career advisors, principals, etc are meant to make sure their students know enough information and are well informed of their decisions...
when i wanted to drop chem... you should have seen all the paper work, signitures, etc etc i needed to go through before my principal let me drop it... i was really well informed and knew exactly what i was getting myself into...

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Just to play devils advocate again. The subject in question they would of given you information when you first selected it what category subject it was and whether it was eligible for uai and you could of also looked for further documentation online before you dropped biology. It's more the fact you don't have any backup subjects i.e. bio that hurts more.

xoCandyGurlxo

HSC
This happened to one of my friends. Shes doing a TAFE course and when she started doing it at the begin of Prelim they told her it would be fine for her UAI but when she dropped CFS they told her that she wouldnt b able to get a UAI course coz the tafe course doesnt count. She wasnt too upset about it coz she decided against uni but still they mislead her which wasnt totally fair.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
If you have 8 units of category A subjects and 2 units of category B can't you still get a UAI?

-pari-

HSC
N/A
If you have 8 units of category A subjects and 2 units of category B can't you still get a UAI?
thats the point. he technically only HAS 8 units now.

first, my sympathies. if that happened to me, to say the least, my school would have hell to put up with from me. thats just shocking, i can't believe that.

i personally suggest you take this up further. take it up with your school. if they dont react i suggest take it up further, see what CAN be done officially

i also suggest that you start thinking about picking biology back up. it WILL be huge amounts of work, but at LEAST you will be eligible for a UAI ...ANY uai, which you currently are not. something is better than nothing.
even if you've missed assessments, there are official board methods to get around that - my school offered it to me in my situation (which is irrelevant here) but it is possible to work around missed assessments.

if you absolutely kill your other subjects, then doing kinda decently crap in bio might not hurt ur UAI too much.

best of luck!!!

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Take up bio.
Do the work.
Catch up.

And screw those stupid teachers!

Far out man, why would they tell you AFTER you dropped your subject? I smell idiots in your school.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
That's really horrible, although to be fair, you should know what subjects you are doing and whether you owuld be eligible for a UAI. Even so, your year advisor/principal should have had words to your year about it.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
That really sucks. I dont think you have any choice but to pick up bio again now if you want to end up with a UAI, unless of course you wanted to end up taking a whole extra year in school to get it.

I really do not think that there is anything else you can do, the BOS studies doesn't twist the rules and nor does UAC, so with the subjects you have now you're not going to get a UAI, regardless of the reasons behind it. 8 units = no UAI. Your teachers should be there to help you catch up though as it is partially their doing. Bio shouldn't be all that hard to catch up on, so long as you stick to the syllabus and learn the dot points. I picked up a subject during the HSC in the middle of term 2 so its not impossible to catch up now :)

It's a good lesson to learn, people make mistakes so it's always your own responsibility to research these things yourself and make sure you are aware of whether you've got category A or B subjects, or ones that dont go towards the UAI. The information is all over the BOS site for you to find. Always double check cos teachers aren't always right!! :p

It is something you'll have to get used to cause in uni there is no one there to hold your hand when you're making subject choices, you need to read the rules of your degree yourself and sometimes they'll pick up on mistakes and inform you - but not always.

Hope it all works out :)

Last edited:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
-pari- said:
thats the point. he technically only HAS 8 units now.
But if he had dropped, the school would have only let him drop from 12 to 10, so if he dropped Bio he should still have a total of ten units, even if two of those are category B. And that means you're still eligible... right? Or is Sports Coaching not a UAI subject in any way, shape, or form?

I don't know.

Either way, I hope this all gets sorted. That's pretty dodgy. Best thing to is to pick Bio back up, I suppose.

All the best!

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
It's a 1 unit Non-Board Developed Course which is not a UAI course. Only UAI Courses can be counted towards your UAI.
Ah, righto.

This is what you get when you're separated by a few thousand kilometres and at a school that doesn't offer even all possible A courses, :p

In that case, I suppose the only thing you can do is get back into Biology. It'll be tough, but worth it. Good luck! And I'd give your teachers a piece of your mind.

HSC
Get your parents to write a letter to the school DEMANDING you pick up biology again? That's seriously dodgy from your school. Surely they have some sort of responsibility to ensure that the students who want a UAI get themselves a UAI, well I see it as such because I mean they do employ careers advisors after all (you would assume so anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)