• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

uni preferrence? (1 Viewer)

PKH

HSC
Hi I'm planning on doing engineering and Commerce at UNSW but I'm not sure about the volume of work/ work load compared to just doing actuarial studies. On avg how many times a week do you have to go to uni for a double degree course? + Howz the job prospects for actuarial studies? or is it just better off for me to just to engineering and then do MBA in it??? Plz reply ASAP as I'm so confused of which course to do at uni... Thanks in advance...

Addition: Is it better off for me to do double degree engineering rather than engineering and commerce?

More Q's: Is that possible to do double degree engineering like civil and mechanical at UNSW?

Last edited:

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Okay, I'll help you out with the engineering stuff cause I'm from Adelaide and hence, don't know much about actuarial cause we don't have a degree here but basic engineering information is universal across major Aussie unis.

An engineering single degree is usually 20-25 hours per week minimum, depending on how many labs you have on that week. Most labs are about 3 hours but I am about to experience the "joy" of 7 hours labs this year. However, labs are generally not every week and the *general* trend is that your contact hours will decrease as you progress in your degree BUT more time will be dedicated to research projects and coursework i.e the time is transferred elsewhere.

Double degrees have similar hours, maybe a few more because some of the subjects in an engineering single degree plan are replaced with subjects from the other degree. You will generally be at uni 4 to 5 days per week because engineering faculties generally present fixed timetables i.e only one lecture/mass tutorial time etc and they like to space it out.

Personally, I would do engineering followed by MBA. An MBA will hold more ground than a B.Commerce and I believe experience in the engineering industry will help you make a more informed choice about what sort of path to take within a MBA. You don't want to do a B.Commerce and think a certain path will complement engineering and waste time and money to find it is a useless piece of paper cause you picked the wrong major based on someone else's poor advice. YOU need to see what will complement YOUR engineering career because many engineering careers turn out very different to what is first anticipated. You will also find that engineering also teaches basic financial knowledge. I started in a Law/Commerce degree and transferred to Engineering after a semester and found that components of my Intro to Engineering and Planning and Design courses covered the Time Value of Money component of Accounting for Decision Makers and the entire Principles of Macroeconomics courses I had completed for my B.Commerce.

I don't think engineering double helps too much unless it is something like Petroleum Engineering which has Chemical (petrochemical, fluid mech), Mechanical (Drilling Engineering) and Civil (Oil Rig Structure) components because you can tailor your career path based on those doubles. Something like Civil/Mechanical isn't very useful and I don't think it can be done unless you want to spend many years at uni. This is because although there is some overlap in the first 2 years (statics, dynamics, computing and maths are the main ones), you have to learn different things. Civil focuses on soils, water, structural materials, environment, Mechanical will cover dynamical control, thermofluids, engineering design etc....I know this is very vague but I hope you get what I mean. Double degrees only work if the degrees have interchangable subjects or many common subjects.

Hope this is of some help.

BTW: The doubles and courses I have listed are for Adelaide Uni so you will have to do more research yourself but I'm just trying to give you a general idea :eek:

PKH

HSC
Thanks for your reply, how are the job prospects for civil engineering with architecture? By doing this course can I also major in Structural engineering?

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Civil Engineering encompasses Structural, Environmental, Geotechnical and Water Engineering and most uni's require for you to major in two of those fields. So in your first two years, you will be introduced to all these areas and then in third and fourth year you narrow down your interests.

If you are interested in Structural, then I believe Geotechnical is a good major because it focuses on the engineering properties of soils and rocks (i.e what your structure is sitting on). Plus soils and rocks have varying properties over small distances so the skills you develop to analyse these properties will improve your structual engineering problem solving/modelling (in the real world) because the run of the mill structural engineer is well versed in dealing with steel and concrete which have very uniform properties throughout. Plus Geotech isn't too bad difficulty wise. I did second year Geotech without all the assumed knowledge, attended about 40% of lectures, did minimal work during the semester, just crammed for 3 days before the exam (worth 70%) and got 72% and I'm nothing special academically...although 72% isn't exactly a great mark..passable but not great. All I'm saying is that it is an easy pass.

Regarding job prospects with architecture...hard to say, not really something I've researched personally. Generally, Civil Engineers will find more jobs in construction but if you are passionate about architecture then go for it but
do read Pierotte's post in the General Uni discussion forum entitled "So...You Think You Want To Do Architecture" because although it may be considered a little negative, she is being very honest about architecture.

I think Civil is the way to go but what you put with it is another story. I personally think a MBA or Engineering Masters or whatever Masters you want to stick with it is far more useful than a double undergraduate because I think it's better to get a solid understanding in one field which you can then expand from once you know where your career is going i.e get into the industry. If you are doing a double to expand employment prospects, I don't think it makes much difference, especially with Civil which is in high demand. If you want to do a double, then pick something that interests you and is more for fun than anything. An employer often will think of you more favourably if you are well rounded rather than if you did the textbook career selection.......like all of those who pick Law/Commerce because they think they will make a quick buck.

PKH

HSC
nimrod_dookie said:
Civil Engineering encompasses Structural, Environmental, Geotechnical and Water Engineering and most uni's require for you to major in two of those fields. So in your first two years, you will be introduced to all these areas and then in third and fourth year you narrow down your interests.

If you are interested in Structural, then I believe Geotechnical is a good major because it focuses on the engineering properties of soils and rocks (i.e what your structure is sitting on). Plus soils and rocks have varying properties over small distances so the skills you develop to analyse these properties will improve your structual engineering problem solving/modelling (in the real world) because the run of the mill structural engineer is well versed in dealing with steel and concrete which have very uniform properties throughout. Plus Geotech isn't too bad difficulty wise. I did second year Geotech without all the assumed knowledge, attended about 40% of lectures, did minimal work during the semester, just crammed for 3 days before the exam (worth 70%) and got 72% and I'm nothing special academically...although 72% isn't exactly a great mark..passable but not great. All I'm saying is that it is an easy pass.

Regarding job prospects with architecture...hard to say, not really something I've researched personally. Generally, Civil Engineers will find more jobs in construction but if you are passionate about architecture then go for it but
do read Pierotte's post in the General Uni discussion forum entitled "So...You Think You Want To Do Architecture" because although it may be considered a little negative, she is being very honest about architecture.

I think Civil is the way to go but what you put with it is another story. I personally think a MBA or Engineering Masters or whatever Masters you want to stick with it is far more useful than a double undergraduate because I think it's better to get a solid understanding in one field which you can then expand from once you know where your career is going i.e get into the industry. If you are doing a double to expand employment prospects, I don't think it makes much difference, especially with Civil which is in high demand. If you want to do a double, then pick something that interests you and is more for fun than anything. An employer often will think of you more favourably if you are well rounded rather than if you did the textbook career selection.......like all of those who pick Law/Commerce because they think they will make a quick buck.
Thanks for your advice and I've decided to do civil engineering... :)

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Glad to help. I think Civil is a really good choice. If I wasn't doing Mining Eng, I'd do Civil :pirate:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)