• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

University of Melbourne (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

i'm seriously thinking of going here.....i heard it has a great reputation. does anyone know what it's like ? thanks.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It's got that "south of the border" feel. Gringos everywhere having a siesta.

It's also in Victoria, so it might have some semblence of style and class.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its a old-style uni.. like sydney.. sandstone

lots of resources and very traditional in teachin... they spend ALOT on research for honours and postgrads.. hence the very good reputation..

but they are only good with respect to certain courses... depends on course.. lik otherwise unis in NSW are better in certain fields..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Don't trust anyone who gives you a blanket statement along the lines of "UMelb is better than Monash in everything" because that's just not how it works. You have to look at the individual faculties, departments, and often even courses.

That said, which courses are you actually interested in?

ashjw84

i'm thinking of doing arts/commerce...something like that. and instead of living on campus i thought i might rent an apartment near the campus. at the moment i'm thinking about in the city. melbournian, what suburbs around unimelb do you think are good to live in ?

jermaink

HSC
Some Melbourne Uni Generalisations

I'm currently doing a Bachellor of Arts at Melbourne Uni (Political Science/History and Philosophy of Science) which I'm enjoying.

Some generalisations:

Buildings are old, except for the new Law and Computing buildings which are ultra modern.

The Commerce building seems nither old or very new.

The Arts building, called 'Old Arts' is as it sounds, fairly old.

Course generalisations:

Law = Among, if not the best (teaching i would say would be equal best with ANU/USYD/UNSW - I did 1 law subject, however it's the quality of the new building which is most impressive)

Commerce - hard to say. I think i saw some figures about how the major accounting firms hire people from australian uni's. Melbourne and UNSW had the highest proportion in Vic and NSW.

Arts = a very high quality. The buildings may not be new, but the standard of teaching is generally quite good. Especially in Political Science and HPS. The UAI/ENTER is clearly the highest, but this indicates demand (or supply) which may be unrelated to quality. Sydney uni's lumping of political science into 'political economy' into the BCom annoyed me. (lived 11 years in Syd, 7 years in Melb, had both NSW and VIC choices)

I'm not too sure about the other faculties, but Law and Arts are Melb Uni's strength's, among nation topping in quality, with commerce also very good.

These are of course generalisations, and opinions as well. Everything on this form is though...so...just don't make any decisions without doing REAL research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)