• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Usyd is the worst uni of them all. (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Forget about how 'prestigious' it is. Look at it, it is the ugliest uni there is, it's in need of some major renovation. At the moment I'm not sure if it looks more like a large church or like hogwarts.

And how come they are the only uni from which i hear students bagging out other uni's? Point me to where someone from unsw, anu, csu, uow, etc has started insulting usyd, it's pathetic - do you guys have lectures about how superior a human you are now that you go to usyd?

comments, thoughts?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
dunno the purpose of this post other than to start shit between unis

but i personally i think the usyd campus (darlington) looks great (im a non-usyd student)

i agree a usyd poster called "melbournian" acts like a total asshole on these forums but not all usyd students are like that

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
*gets weak by invisioning the sydney conservatorium*

Not the campus where I'm hopefully going!

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Thats a very unfair generalisation to make. You shouldn't let one person (ie Melbournian) get to you. It's unfortunate he's making such stupid comments, but just ignore him. He's just trying to provoke a reaction.

And not everyone at USyd has that kind of attitude, generalising just makes you as bad as he is.

santaslayer

HSC
I can't argue with this thread.

But naming certain people is just as bad as uni bashing. :p

Lundy

Banned
HSC
By having a go at usyd as a whole because of a few individuals, you're just as bad. Grow up.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm bagging out usyd because i'm sick of it's bs, when i see people from other uni's starting threads 'HEY WE KICK EVERYONES ARSE' and i see lecturers from their uni's saying "HEY WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS SAY WE KICK ARSE!" then i'll remove my comments.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
All unis have overzealous people, and all unis have those that think of other unis as being crap and constantly attack them.

These are the type of people most unis love, they are easily lead and need constant self re-assurance that the choice they made was the right one. They also make great alums because they feel that the uni is something special and usually fork out a heap of dough and push everyone they know to try and apply to it.

It's basic consumer behaviour, post purchase cognitive dissonance. Most people get over it after a while and realise their uni is just another uni that can be highly regarded one minute and full of mismanagement and scandal the next, all of which the student has no control over.

I know people who have dropped out of other unis to go to UWS so it's not the worst in their eyes :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I know alot of people that employ people in highly skilled jobs etc who have no problem with UWS applicants at all... and i quote "The UWS people really know their stuff", this is from the director of a big effects company in sydney..

klh

HSC
ive had an experience with usyd students who came back to my HS (old HS students) coming back to give us a talk about uni and the usyders were like, "usyd is the best to the other studnets and the others were like go away, Unsw is better in front of all of the HS students.

so although we generalise, its happening alot thus why the generalisation is confirmed.

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
Why, I just get so excited and happy when I think about how much better my uni is compared to others.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
shannonm said:
i agree a usyd poster called "melbournian" acts like a total asshole on these forums but not all usyd students are like that
he preys on stupid people who react, like you

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Some people are also very competitive and group motivated. If they weren't bagging out a uni they would be bagging out the other college, or the other faculty, or the other sport team and so on. They just need something to complain about to feel that they are better using all kinds of weird marking guides forgetting that those don't suit everyone the same.

I've been to a shit uni, I went there for 2 years, I transferred to one that was much better suited to what I *wanted* to study with a better environment. I would say you are much better going to a "less reputable" uni (depending on your definition) and enjoying what you do than be at an "elite" one absolutely loathing it.

For some job applications you might have a better chance by the "prestige" of your uni but in the end someone who knows someone will always beat you to the job and not everyone in a position of power went to one particular uni.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Exactly, it's all about connections more than which uni you go to.. if someone from uws knows the employer, or knows a friend of the employer, or related better to the employer he will get the job over you no matter how prestigious usyd is over it.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
For some job applications you might have a better chance by the "prestige" of your uni but in the end someone who knows someone will always beat you to the job
wow if it isn't mr optimism

just jump buddy, there is no hope for you

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Just to add, after getting your first job once you have finished your undergrad the uni you attended will mean as much as your UAI did to everyone else in your uni the first day you met them. They will look at why you left your last employer, what responsibility that employer gave you and so on more than they will care where you finished. It will just be another piece of paper to photocopy and put into the file.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think it's more of a matter of making the connections for yourself... calling up employers, asking them questions etc..

I don't think people would do that well when they're resting on the institution to provide them with the connections... unless for instance you're doing law or med or something along those lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)