• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Velocity and graphing question (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
What is the average velocity during the first 4 seconds (the graph is attached below)? In the answer it says minus, but how do I actually show the working out?

Untitled.png

In the attachment below, in the answers the graph is of x=4log2 instead of x=4log(t+1)
Why is that?

Untitled2.png

braintic

HSC
N/A
(1) average velocity = (change in displacement) / time
= (0-4)/4
=-1 (no units given)

(2) ummm .... have another look .... 4log2 is merely the x-value on the graph at t=1

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
(1) average velocity = (change in displacement) / time
= (0-4)/4
=-1 (no units given)

(2) ummm .... have another look .... 4log2 is merely the x-value on the graph at t=1
Ohhh I see it now hahah thanks. But the graph of x=4log(t+1) isn't that graph shown, right? It should be shifted cause it's t+1? Is this right or nah?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Ohhh I see it now hahah thanks. But the graph of x=4log(t+1) isn't that graph shown, right? It should be shifted cause it's t+1? Is this right or nah?
It has been shifted. The asymptote is at t=-1. You can't see that simply because we are only graphing for t>0. But you can see the t intercept at zero which would otherwise have been at t=1 for a normal log graph.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
It has been shifted. The asymptote is at t=-1. You can't see that simply because we are only graphing for t>0. But you can see the t intercept at zero which would otherwise have been at t=1 for a normal log graph.
Thanksss man ! Makes heaps of sense now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)