• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What concentration is considered dilute? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
In my practical for an assignment I'm writing up concentration from 0.2mol, 0.4mol, 0.6mol ... 1.0mol (all/L)

I'm assuming that 0.2mol is dilute. Well Im sorta saying that as the concentration increases, the rate of electrolysis increases. So can I just discuss 0.2mol as being dilute?

BUT I just checked and In a textbook, it says that dilute concentration is anything below 0.1mol/L!!!!

Am I screwed??

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, just calm down first-you are not screwed,
What you may have learnt by year 12 is that you should check more than one source before you verify the correctness of the information, what textbook is it, and have you been able to find any other credible source that specify that? In general, you should avoid mentioning dilute and concentrated, particularly I assume your prac is likely to be from an options topic, just say increase concentration, increase rate of electrolysis-there is no need to discuss dilute and concentrated-it is unnecessary, and I don't think there is a scientific standard definition of what a dilute concentration is, what a concentrated concentration is, it is a relative quantity-don't talk about dilute/concentrate, just focus on the trend and why it occurs-explain your experimental results and you will be fine:)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Ok, just calm down first-you are not screwed,
What you may have learnt by year 12 is that you should check more than one source before you verify the correctness of the information, what textbook is it, and have you been able to find any other credible source that specify that? In general, you should avoid mentioning dilute and concentrated, particularly I assume your prac is likely to be from an options topic, just say increase concentration, increase rate of electrolysis-there is no need to discuss dilute and concentrated-it is unnecessary, and I don't think there is a scientific standard definition of what a dilute concentration is, what a concentrated concentration is, it is a relative quantity-don't talk about dilute/concentrate, just focus on the trend and why it occurs-explain your experimental results and you will be fine:)
Thankss soooo much!!

Yeah you're right, it's from Shipwrecks. I found it in conq chem. Okay, I wont mention dilute and stuff because now That I think of it, it isn't completely required. Thanks so0 much you've helped a lot!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)