• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What Preliminary and HSC are beneficial for a career in Law (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
I was wondering what Preliminary and HSC subjects would be beneficial to choose if your chosen career path is law. Also what subjects (not including science) would help me attain a high atar.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

enoilgam

HSC
Well, for law the best subjects to do are the history subjects (especially modern) and legal studies. With law, it helps to have done writing subjects like humanities in high school because they teach you the skills you need for law. However, its not essential. You shouldnt pick subjects based on scaling.

gleeek

HSC
Well, for law the best subjects to do are the history subjects (especially modern) and legal studies. With law, it helps to have done writing subjects like humanities in high school because they teach you the skills you need for law. However, its not essential. You shouldnt pick subjects based on scaling.
Yeah I have chosen Advanced English, Modern, Ancient, Legal, Maths and Business. But I'm thinking of changing from Modern to Economics. What do you think?

HSC
Uni Grad
Legal studies is a subject that you should choose because the content is almost the same. Modern history teaches you the skills of making an argument, analyzing sources and critical thinking.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Ext 1 or Ext 2 English
Legal Studies
Modern History
Business Studies
Economics

D94

HSC
N/A
I would say:

Advanced English
Modern History
Legal Studies
Economics
Maths (could be your break from constant essay writing)
English Extension 1 (or English Extension 2 if you don't like the Advanced course)
Some 1 unit subject to go supplement English Extension 1; possibly drop that to do History Extension in Year 12.

If you don't like Maths and that extra 1 unit subject, then you could pick up Eng. Ext. 2 and History Ext. in Year 12, so you'd still be on 11 or 12 units.

enoilgam

HSC
Legal studies is a subject that you should choose because the content is almost the same. Modern history teaches you the skills of making an argument, analyzing sources and critical thinking.
This pretty much. Legal is for the content (although it only really helps you with foundation subjects and maybe criminal law) and modern for the skills.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
This pretty much. Legal is for the content (although it only really helps you with foundation subjects and maybe criminal law) and modern for the skills.
This.

Legal studies will not give you much of an advantage in law, it really will only help you with small foundation.

A few Mods do Law, you can ask them about what may help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)