• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

wHAT should I DO!! (dropping..picking up subjects for yr12) (1 Viewer)

NightShadow

HSC
Ok...i have a predicament...a dilemma...i would call it something more than that but unfortunately that would not be quite legal..nor polite...

ANYwaYY

I need some advice and you wonderful people may help me^^

my (possible) SUbjects

4 ENG
4MATHS
2 CHEM
2PHY
2DRAMA

as you can see...14 units...not great huh..i need to knock off two...lets get those balll rolling people! thanks guys

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Get rid of the subject you like least. That's the subject you'll be least motivated to work in and thus be least likely to do well in.

I_F

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
We can't decide for you because we don't know you. However, I suggest you drop either an extension course (two extensions IIs can be very stressful), or - if you decide to keep both extensions - drama, because chemistry and physics are both in the science department (although chemistry and biology are more relevant to each other).

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
What's your best subject?

What's your most disliked subject?

Rank your courses in a list according to both those above, see which course is your lowest overall. Of course, this is only if your completely indecisive. Really, you should drop the course that you dislike the most.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i suggest that u:
1. go and talk to ur teachers about ur capablity of doing so many units, wat u r performing in each, and wat u gonna be learning for each

2. discuss with career adviser on the uai u need and aiming for (4u subjects r realli stressful as previously implied!!><)

3. do them for couples of weeks and see which subjects you cant "connect" to.

good luck.

p.s. u must be damn smart. XD

klaw

HSC
do it for a few weeks and see if you can cope with the work, if you can't, drop the one you hate the most

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ok, one warning about the double Ext 2 business, if you do 4u math + 4u english, then you must do 4 subjects which puts you at a *minimum* of twelve units unless you do SOR1. So if you are doing the 4 on 4 combo you must be prepared for considerable effort not only from these 2 subjects, but you must be prepared to do more units.
So if you want to knock of two subjects then something from the Extensions has to go. I'd suggest you evaluate how much you want each subject though - as there is no magic number of units, 10, 11, 12 or more are all fine, however don't make the assumption say that 10 units will mean minimal effort or that 12 is insurance - just choose a combination that you'd enjoy the most for a year.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
kami said:
Ok, one warning about the double Ext 2 business, if you do 4u math + 4u english, then you must do 4 subjects which puts you at a *minimum* of twelve units unless you do SOR1. So if you are doing the 4 on 4 combo you must be prepared for considerable effort not only from these 2 subjects, but you must be prepared to do more units.
So if you want to knock of two subjects then something from the Extensions has to go. I'd suggest you evaluate how much you want each subject though - as there is no magic number of units, 10, 11, 12 or more are all fine, however don't make the assumption say that 10 units will mean minimal effort or that 12 is insurance - just choose a combination that you'd enjoy the most for a year.
NICELY PUT!
hmmm yeah i agree with everyone else... just drop the one you're least motivated for, and go 4 gold in the rest
xox

P

pLuvia

choose subjects you enjoy
talk to teacher
ask people who have done MX2 AND EE2 and see what they say
you could 14 units you just have to focus, dont waste time, set out a study plan
do the subjects you think you'll need for university or is relevant to your course

good luck

klaw

HSC
asking ppl who've done it may not necessarily be a good thing. Different people have different opinions... I picked to do chemistry because someone I knew told me it was good... I then ended up almost begging to the subjects co-ordinator to let me switch to business studies a term and a half into yr 11...

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
I'd either drop one of the X2's (as mentioned by everyone else)

Or do it for a term and then drop what you like the least.

At a guess, I'd say you'd end up dropping EE2 or drama.

P

pLuvia

btw, if people do EE2 do they have to do the eng adv test?? or does that only work in maths?

klaw

HSC
kadlil said:
btw, if people do EE2 do they have to do the eng adv test?? or does that only work in maths?
Yes they do

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
kadlil said:
yeh but rarely anyone does EE2 and MX2, except for kami~ :p
Haha I'm not unique, there are several BoSers around here who do the combo actually, including one of the benefactors - cherryblossom so I'm sure there are others who might not mind giving their opinions on the combo if asked. I know tezor does the combo as well, not to mention Lhyviathan, fine ambiguity, minushuman and at one point KFunk did, so maybe one of them will wander in at some point if they see the thread.
But away from the me basking in my own greatness theme, I chose my 4u of eng, 4u of math and 4u of science(used to be 6 but I dropped physics before trials yay!) mainly because I was passionate about everything and I could *not* choose between subjects in fact I wanted to do Ancient + Ext Hist as well:p, however I found that the hours would not support that no matter the efforts I might put in and neither would my teachers regardless of leniency so that was 3u of history out the window. So time management was a huge factor if that hasn't been made clear already, you *have* to devote time to reviewing and going over your maths all the time - not to understand things, but so that you can compete. And then there is the monster project that is EE2 - it sits at the back of your mind all the time(and if it doesn't then it should), and whats difficult about this subject is its the only one where you can spend hours at a screen getting *nothing* done and thereby interfering with all of your other subjects and subconsciously making you put EE2 last on your to do list.
That said, they are both *fantastic* subjects in their own way - they(and the other extensions) challenge your ideas in ways that the 2u HSC courses simply don't and I recommend everyone at least look over an extension subject at one point. Just remember not to tackle something that is *too* much for you, because you will burn yourself out and be useless in your other subjects. You also shouldn't take on subjects because of prestidge or scaling - there is nothing more unfortunate than seeing someone in a 4u class who is there because they think it makes them look smarter or because their parents think so and then seeing them get burnt by assesments and slowly drop to general/standard. Anyway my rambling has probably gone on long enough lol.

P

pLuvia

kami said:
Haha I'm not unique, there are several BoSers around here who do the combo actually, including one of the benefactors - cherryblossom so I'm sure there are others who might not mind giving their opinions on the combo if asked. I know tezor does the combo as well, not to mention Lhyviathan, fine ambiguity, minushuman and at one point KFunk did, so maybe one of them will wander in at some point if they see the thread.
But away from the me basking in my own greatness theme, I chose my 4u of eng, 4u of math and 4u of science(used to be 6 but I dropped physics before trials yay!) mainly because I was passionate about everything and I could *not* choose between subjects in fact I wanted to do Ancient + Ext Hist as well:p, however I found that the hours would not support that no matter the efforts I might put in and neither would my teachers regardless of leniency so that was 3u of history out the window. So time management was a huge factor if that hasn't been made clear already, you *have* to devote time to reviewing and going over your maths all the time - not to understand things, but so that you can compete. And then there is the monster project that is EE2 - it sits at the back of your mind all the time(and if it doesn't then it should), and whats difficult about this subject is its the only one where you can spend hours at a screen getting *nothing* done and thereby interfering with all of your other subjects and subconsciously making you put EE2 last on your to do list.
That said, they are both *fantastic* subjects in their own way - they(and the other extensions) challenge your ideas in ways that the 2u HSC courses simply don't and I recommend everyone at least look over an extension subject at one point. Just remember not to tackle something that is *too* much for you, because you will burn yourself out and be useless in your other subjects. You also shouldn't take on subjects because of prestidge or scaling - there is nothing more unfortunate than seeing someone in a 4u class who is there because they think it makes them look smarter or because their parents think so and then seeing them get burnt by assesments and slowly drop to general/standard. Anyway my rambling has probably gone on long enough lol.

hahah so true.. it's funny but sad seeing those "supposedly" smart people dropping from such a high subject to the low subject and eventually dropping it~

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
There's a girl at my school who is the only one intending to take up Extension 2 English and Mathematics at the moment. In my opinion, she isn't really that bright a student. She's just consistent with good above average marks and occassionally high ranked marks in all her subjects, apparently. I suspect that she might drop one of the extensions at sometime. We'll just have to wait and see.....

As for you, I'd say drop one of the extensions. Don't choose that combination unless you really excel in all of them.

HSC
N/A
Not only that, have a good look at how your HSC is "streamed"

Very few people in this world are able to focus on both the humanities-ish and maths/science-ish subjects at the same time, and excel at both (not only is the content different, but also the thinking processes). Picking up multiple 4U subjects will be a NIGHTMARE unless it's actually what you really want to do. The few people I know who juggle both - Tezor and kami - work their butts off. I have rarely caught them on a day where they haven't been working on something (or at least thinking about it).

What you want is to pick the subjects that a) you enjoy, and b) are good at. *This* is what will maximise your potential UAI. Also look at any crossovers - I imagine that 4U maths and physics with cross over at some points, as will the 3U/4U english with Drama. But if you love physics, then go for that.

NightShadow

HSC
hey guys thanks for all your advice this is what i chose in the end

4 MATHS
4 ENGLISH
2 CHEM
2 PHYSICS

my logic was that ...like..everyone does 4 unit maths in our school...and besides..the scaling is better than apple pie on a cool winter day... 2 chem 2 phy...you know..figures...but i better get my physics to an ultimate level^^...and 4 english...weLLll...you see i thought i'd do performance poetry you know...it'd be like the drama IP monologue..^^ but with much better scaling...

you know...4u nit eng and drama IP isn't all that much different in some aspects of its endeavor , not too sure about 3 unit english..our teachers a bit of a weirdy...

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
you dropped drama? bad boy. *sad* nah... seriously you'll do fine with that, as long as you're doing subjects you like you'll do great. good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)