• Want to take part in the BoS Trials for Maths and/or Business Studies this year?
    Click here for details
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What the bleep do we know? (1 Viewer)

noel edge

HSC
Has anyone seen it? Even after reading up about it I have no idea what its about, and I think that is reason enough to see it.

Talk about the movie y'all.

kaylz

HSC
Saw it. Thought it was rather good, and tres interesting. Anyone else seen it?

kaylz

HSC
Götterfunken said:
My bio teacher loves it--I'm interested in seeing it. :)
It's on at dendy, newtown atm.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
im about to watch it now. so is it a docco? because imdb has it listed as a drama. However there are real scientists. So maybe it has reenactments. I dunno. Cumfused.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fuck the blonde chick is stupid and annoying. worst actor ever.

HAHAHABAHAHABAHHAHAHAH the blind chick just spoke. I laughed so fucking hard.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahahhahahhaha the black kid goes 'it's my court. no one's going to take your stuff'.
Never trust a black guy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
this movie is so fucking shit. I believe some sentiments, but most of it is fake bullshit. Like the water thing. I looked it up, and the experiment was real bullshit. The fact that Columbus' ships weren't seen: where is this documented? It's made up. So many things are so shit.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
this is what one guy had to say about it on imdb

had numerous problems with this film.

It contains some basic factual information concerning quantum mechanics, which is fine. Although quantum physics has been around for over 50 years, the film presents this information in a grandiose way that seems to be saying: "Aren't you just blown away by this!" Well, not really. These aren't earth shattering revelations anymore. At any rate, I was already familiar with quantum theory, and the fact that particles have to be described by wave equations, etc. is not new.

The main problem I have with this movie, however, is the way these people use quantum theory as a way of providing a scientific basis for mysticism and spiritualism. I don't have any serious problem with mysticism and spiritualism, but quantum mechanics doesn't really have anything to do with these things, and it should be kept separate. The people they interviewed for this movie start with the ideas of quantum theory and then make the leap to say that simply by thinking about something you can alter the matter around you, hence we should think positively so as to have a positive impact on the world and make our lives better. The reasoning is completely ridiculous, and the conclusions do not logically follow from quantum theory. For every so called "expert" that they interviewed for this film, there are scores of theoretically physicists who would completely disagree. They would point out, quite rightly, that the unpredictability of the subatomic world does not lend support to mystical notions about our spiritual connectedness.

It disturbs me that people are going to see this film and completely eat it up because it leaves them with a nice positive feeling. The main thrust of the film is based on a total misinterpretation of quantum theory, and it is as bad in its reasoning as any attempt to justify organized religion with similar pseudo-scientific arguments.

Avoid this film.

Oh yeah. At one point, one of the "experts" says that since throughout history most of the assumptions people have made about the world turned out to be false, therefore the assumptions we currently hold about the world are also likely to be false. Huh? That totally does not follow. And even if it did, I don't see how that helps his argument. I mean, if his ideas ever became common assumptions then I guess we would have to assume that they are false too, based on his own reasoning.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol its funny cos the deaf chick is bobbing up and down to music.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This film was produced by 'JZ Knight' aka 'Ramtha' who claims she can channel a 1000 year old warrior from atlantis... and gives speeches about obscure bullshit... she is essentially a crazy weird bitch. The people who wrote etc for this film all work for her.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
god who wasnt there is Ok, but he also bullshits a lot in that.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
Yeah.

New Age, hippy wankery produced by a bunch of cultists. One of my nerd friends recommended it, so I was thinking, "yay, physics" and when I watched it I was all like "wtf" and then... died

kaylz

HSC
'The god who wasn't there' was crap. I thought the ending was so lame and pathetic - the part where he goes into the church and says that he doesn't believe. It's like - come on. Prove why. Don't just cop out by giving an attitude heavy statement without any backup beyond the historical conspiracy theories and one eyed stuff. That said, I did see it a while ago and have forgotten most of its content. But I do remember thinking it was less than impressive.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
'The god who wasn't there' was crap. I thought the ending was so lame and pathetic - the part where he goes into the church and says that he doesn't believe. It's like - come on. Prove why. Don't just cop out by giving an attitude heavy statement without any backup beyond the historical conspiracy theories and one eyed stuff.
It was a popular movie to get out the message - I agree the ending was lame. On the DVD there is a whole bunch of historical evidence for each part of the film.

kaylz

HSC
I just felt it wasn't particularly balanced and finished like a ten year old thumbing his nose and saying "so there", as though that was the end of the matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)