• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what to drop??? (2 Viewers)

Meshy590

HSC
these are my ranks for half yearlies

maths 2u- 30-40ish/150
maths 3u- 24/80ish
eng adv- 3/231
french continuers- 1/4
french ext 3/20
chem approx 5 or 6/150ish
business 1/120ish

I want to drop a subject, so i can get more time to focus on less subjects. Some people, have told me that it's "too late" to drop ext maths, as we have finished most of the course, but i only got 76% in the exam so..

Help!!

Coookies

HSC
What don't you enjoy/taking up lots of your time?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm I can understand how it'd be hard your ranks are good, esp. considering size of cohorts/difficulty of many of your subjects.

Which subjects do you enjoy and which don't you? But I presume you'd be keeping for business for sure (killer rank 1/120!)

Meshy590

HSC
thats the hard part, i actually like all my subjects, but in order to improve my marks i want to drop something. Business is getting a bit boring now...doing Finance...couldn't imagine dropping it while i'm no. 1 LOL

enoilgam

HSC
I'd look at these four questions when analysing your subjects for which to drop:

Will this subject count towards my ATAR?
How much time does this subject take up?
Do I like this subject?
Do I need this subject for my uni course?

Whichever subject performs poorest in these four questions is the one you should consider dropping. If they all do similarly well, then maybe you should consider keeping them.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah that's hard if you like them all, you have to be really careful dropping then so you don't regret it!

If I were you, I wouldn't be dropping but I don't like the idea of 10 units. But then Maths Ext and French Ext scale well so I don't want to condone dropping them to have 11 units. I'd probably keep the 12.

ncoul

HSC
If you feel it's pivotal that you drop, get rid of maths. Your rank and the amount of time the subject takes up compared with others.

Meshy590

HSC
Yeh i think I'll keep them all for now. I think it's too late to drop Ext 1 Maths now...and it may even end up helping me with 2u

Cheers for the advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)