• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's the difference in tutoring centres? E.g.Talent 100, Matrix,Prior, Intutiton... (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
Hey

So what is the difference between all the tutoring centres? There's so many threads questioning which centre is better etc etc. Aren't they all the "same". All of them is roughly about 4 hours (including tutorials etc) and all of them go through a booklet that consists of theory and questions - that is "skimmed" through. Where the tutors go as quick as possible due to (a) the students being smart and understanding well
(b) they have to finish by the clock
(c) not a reason, but a presupposition, that its more "rope learning" and "memorising" then genuine understanding... even the school teachers are hesitant in really helping their students but rushing through the course.

The lesson then ends by them giving you a booklet of homework questions etc etc and if you have any questions you go to the tutorial. AND if you want to do well, they "urge" you to attend the holiday courses.

I may be wrong of course...

However that's my view on group tutoring. To one to one tutoring - generally I find for maths tutors, the student-tutors and teachers aren't as well structured as group tutoring. Their somewhat cheaper, given that you usually only have them one-two hours, but in a price:hour ratio, group tutoring is cheaper... For one-to-one tutoring, the tutors tend to be better at addressing questions you ask them rather than actually teaching for understanding...

So. In general, if we had a criteria and your own experience if you've ever had tutoring, what do you think is the best?
- Group or Individual?
- Who? E.g. Matrix, Prior, Prime, Intution, Dr Du, Talent 100, James An, North Shore, Terry Lee, Truong, Pre Uni...
- Why?
- Any other info such as price, hours etc
- What do you learn?
- How effective is the teaching from a scale of one to ten and why?
- Have you improved?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: What's the difference in tutoring centres? E.g.Talent 100, Matrix,Prior, Intutito

For Maths, Group, same with Phys and Chem. For English, individual.
Who? I've been to James An, North Shore, Terry Lee, Truong and Pre Uni. (granted, JA, NS and PU were all tested prior to Selective, whereas Terry Lee and Truong were for HSC). I found Truong to be superior to everyone else. Style of teaching, tight knit community of friends, etc etc.
Hours: 3U is about 2 hours, 4U about 2.5 hours. Although, he often throws in a lot more 4U lessons for free during the school holidays. $25 per 2 hours.
We learn Maths.
Very effective. 10. Cause he makes you work hard (I'm sure most tutors do this though).

Yes, I have improved. I'm Top 5 in Maths out of cohorts of 120 in 4U and 150 in 3U at a Top 5 school in Maths (Top 10 overall).

Mudkip94

HSC
Re: What's the difference in tutoring centres? E.g.Talent 100, Matrix,Prior, Intutito

I'm doing Matrix right now and it's pretty awesome. It's about $40 per/h for Maths Extension and goes for 3 hours, the stuff is rushed through but if you don't understand anything you can come in on the weekend and get free extra tutoring. I've done Kip McGrath (lol) and Pre-Uni before and Matrix is a lot awesomer.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

Truong for Maths
Matrix for Physics

Edit: No wait I take that back..

Me for Physics ;)

WEMG

HSC

Are there any other good maths tutor besides Troungs? The place is too far for me and I already feel bad for making my mum drive me to Peak Science in Canley Vale every week.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC

Best Tutoring Centres imo:
Maths - Truongs, Terry Lee
Chemistry - PEAK, Matrix
Physics - PEAK, Matrix
English - Private

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)