• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what's what (1 Viewer)

strawberry

i dont understand this whole distinction credit average thing...is it like what we do at school for those maths competitions....

gimme an approximation for how hard it would be to get distinctions in science at USYD...

thank you

sunny

meh.
HSC
Kinda...each session (2 sessions per year), you do a number of subjects that you enrol in at the beginning of the year.

You'll get the usual lot of assessments and exams at mid session/end of session.

Then, depending on the uni, they'll give you some sort of average based on the combined marks of your subjects.

Certain marks might represent different grades, eg, 50 might be pass, 65 credit, etc

Some courses/scholarships/honours will require you to have some sort of average to be admitted to or let you stay in the course.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
and so how hard is it to get a distinction, or a credit, or a pass?

sunny

meh.
HSC
This varies by uni, subjects, and even by the lecturers that teach the subject - since they set the exam (and hence how difficult they will be).

I'm unsure about USYD, but at UNSW credits are quite achievable if you work. Ds are within reach - HDs occasionally. Some people I know have gone through uni without ever having seen a HD, and only the occasional D. Some I know has had nothing but Ds and HDs

One lecturer had explained to us that we should have very different expectations from ourselves at uni since the marking can be very different. If you're used to 80-90% in high school - don't expect it at uni.

A credit at UNSW is 65% - this may seem low, but a credit means you've done everything they've wanted you to do (a pass), plus you've done better. "Credit on you!!" as my lecturer would say.

He'd go on to say "HD? Oh my god! Go and get a girlfriend!"

Perhaps you can look at some of the uni specific forums and see people's results that have been posted for an idea.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
To give a bit of personal experience...I got a UAI of 95ish and managed quite a bit of HD's this year (4 HD's, 1 D, 2 CR and 1 PS)
If u work consistantly like u did in the HSC, u should be within D range - but depends on everyone else in ur course and how ur lecturer marks etc..
also depends on whether u enjoy wat u are doing - its much easier to do well in a subject u enjouy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)