• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

when paper1section2 asks for 'a piece of writing'!! eek! (1 Viewer)

unfold

HSC
hey people
i just want to make sure i'm on the right track. here So when they ask, in the creative writing section for 'a piece of writing'. is it better that we state what text form we're gonna right first? (i know it seems silly)

but say for a short story i've written as being this 'piece of writing'. what if the marker could not identify it as being a short story and mistaken it for say...personal reflection? i assume that marks will be lost if its just 'a piece of writing' without texual integrity...e.g. characterisation plot and climax for a short story... i'm just a bit afraid that they cant identify the exact text form we wrote it?

and another thing..piece of writing can be in any text form right?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yes, a piece of writing can be anything. That is, it can be a letter, a short story and interview whatever. It cannot however, be an essay as that isn't defined as "creative".

I've never personally stipulated what form my writing has taken - the marker really should be savvy enough to figure out what it is as they are an HSC marker after all, and not a complete bunch of idiots. (contrary to popular belief :p)

If you are really that concerned, then label your work, but be careful. If you wrote a short story in the first person, they might think it was more a personal reflection than a short story and mark you down, whereas if you didn't write anything they would just take it as whatever and give it a mark.

It depends on your preference really, but just remember to give your marker more credit.

Best of luck.

unfold

HSC
hey..i understand what you just said. i AM actually gonna use first person for my short story..and may be mistaken as being a personal reflection. but that itself is a text form right?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
The way I'm going about this AOS thingo is to prepare 3 pieces of creative writing and get them marked over the weekend.
I.e.
A feature article
a short story
a journal entry/letter

All circa 600 words each and to be made *adaptable* re/ the journey concept

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)