• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

When to discuss the five areas in religious rites (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
The 2004 HSC question for Religious Rites was as follows:

Assess how ONE rite of public worship OR ONE rite of personal devotion is significant to believers. In your answer, refer to ONE rite you studied in TWO religious traditions.

In this instance, do we still discuss Symbolism/Sacred Writings/Role of the Celebrant/Human Experiences (can't remember the other one), or do we simply assess the religious rite without reference to these areas?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
If you want, but mainly, that is focusing on teh everyday lives of believers

Where you would use those 5 areas is
• compare and contrast examples from the same religious rites within TWO
religious traditions in relation to TWO of the following:
– the nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
– significance of sacred writings
– use of symbolism
– social structure
– human experiences.

Which is what Jess and I reckon this years question will be ;)
it hasn't been asked yet :D

jmac101

for last years question, techinically u could get away with not mentioning it. but of course the thing is that if you do mention it you will get better marks. if you have time, write as much about the rite as possible... symbolism etc. are a big part of the nature of the rites and allow for more varients in your work... more stuff = better marks

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
If anything, I would like ONE religious tradition and TWO areas, or TWO religious traditions and ONE area - TWO religious traditions and TWO areas seems like to much for me...lol :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
goan_crazy said:
yeah i know. I'd like to talk about one rite better in 2 traditions like u said.
How much time do you think you'll have for the extended response? I'm looking for around 45-50 minutes, so that I can provide slightly more detailed short answer responses.

goan_crazy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
TWO religious traditions and TWO areas seems like to much for me...lol :p
yeah i know. I'd like to talk about one rite better in 2 traditions like u said.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
From memory I had around 50 mins to do the extended response in the trials. Breakdown: 5-10 mins MC, 30 mins Short Answer and 50 mins Extended Response.
I think it's possible to talk about two traditions and two areas in 45 mins, though I guess you'd just have to allocate your time effectively, maybe 10-12 mins on each area per tradition. In fact, my edited trial paper asked for two areas and two traditions and it wasn't too bad.

goan_crazy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
How much time do you think you'll have for the extended response? I'm looking for around 45-50 minutes, so that I can provide slightly more detailed short answer responses.
i was thinking to myself, its gonna be hard to talk about BOTH in 45 minutes, dont you reckon?
Im giving it the same time as an english essay, actually yeh 45-5 minutes more is good!

jessied

HSC
45-50mins!! Wish I had that amount of time.. Good old SORII, an extra 2 essays + 10 more marks for short answers (media/non-religion) so I'll probably take 40mins per essay..

That being said, in the trial I did the MC and the short answers (30 marks) in 45mins and got 39/40.. But I don't think that will be happening in the HSC

Kutay

University
HSC
goan_crazy said:
If you want, but mainly, that is focusing on teh everyday lives of believers

Where you would use those 5 areas is
• compare and contrast examples from the same religious rites within TWO
religious traditions in relation to TWO of the following:
– the nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
– significance of sacred writings
– use of symbolism
– social structure
– human experiences.

Which is what Jess and I reckon this years question will be ;)
it hasn't been asked yet :D

Hey with regards to this, i feel i have addressed this in my religion essay, but not sure ? this is my marriage one, can anyone give some comments on it, i.e. maybe a mark out of 20 if this was the question etc.?

thankyou in advance

Kutay

Kutay

University
HSC
yeh but is that good enough ??? what mark it looking at and yeh i am going to prepare two one marriage and one for public worship, and yeh going to memorise them, only 800 words each probably

and i figure, it will probably take me prob max 30 minutes to do the short answers and mc so will have plenty of time to do the long repsonse

goan_crazy

HSC
Kutay said:
Hey with regards to this, i feel i have addressed this in my religion essay, but not sure ? this is my marriage one, can anyone give some comments on it, i.e. maybe a mark out of 20 if this was the question etc.?

thankyou in advance

Kutay
Thats pretty good Kutay
good integration of scripture.
Question, r u doing a prepared essay for religious rites?
U planning 2 memorise that??

goan_crazy

HSC
Kutay said:
yeh but is that good enough ??? what mark it looking at and yeh i am going to prepare two one marriage and one for public worship, and yeh going to memorise them, only 800 words each probably

and i figure, it will probably take me prob max 30 minutes to do the short answers and mc so will have plenty of time to do the long repsonse
oh ok...
Yeah urs was good...
I'm not memorising mine- I don't even have a prepared essay for SORs rites question. Just notes which ill study.
Im just gonna make it up in the exam...

Kutay

University
HSC
Yeh good idea, however i feel that essay it lacks info on variants however i can just include that in the exam, like would stating about variants in the symbols maybe be appropriate??

such as the ring in both traditions, in christianity can be any style and worn on certain hand and finger whereas the jewish tradition says must have no decorations as by jewish law, it shows signs of impurity and in Orthodox Judaism only give to bride??

in that essay i haven't included but yeh was thinking i will just chuck that in cause of the change in sllyabus not sure if variants are so important ?

what do you guys think?

p.s. Goan Crazy... do you have ur rite of public worship info type up? if so do you mind sending it to my email ?

HSC
If you have put it in your essay, then you might already cover one or two of the five areas. In my prepared essay, I wrote about a rite of passage, about the general gist and procedure in two traditions, although in mentioning rituals and processes that occur, there is a reason for it occuring, for example Jewish people have particular mourning procedures, and there is a certain candle which is symbolic and meaningful - hence covering symbolism, right?

goan_crazy

HSC
Kutay said:
Yeh good idea, however i feel that essay it lacks info on variants however i can just include that in the exam, like would stating about variants in the symbols maybe be appropriate??

such as the ring in both traditions, in christianity can be any style and worn on certain hand and finger whereas the jewish tradition says must have no decorations as by jewish law, it shows signs of impurity and in Orthodox Judaism only give to bride??

in that essay i haven't included but yeh was thinking i will just chuck that in cause of the change in sllyabus not sure if variants are so important ?

what do you guys think?

p.s. Goan Crazy... do you have ur rite of public worship info type up? if so do you mind sending it to my email ?
yeah but if they specify talk about 2 from those 5, what r u gonna talk about
Im doing sacred writings and symbolism...

Christian Variants include Anglican, Cathoilic, Orthodox, etc
Jewish variants include reformed, orthodox etc

Kutay

University
HSC
good point man, i have information on that area and my essay sorta deals with the symbolism part, so i guess i will just study up the two parts as well i dont think they will ask that for the hsc question though, just doesn't seem like they will

goan_crazy

HSC
Kutay said:
good point man, i have information on that area and my essay sorta deals with the symbolism part, so i guess i will just study up the two parts as well i dont think they will ask that for the hsc question though, just doesn't seem like they will
well mate, they haven't asked it before
its part of the syllabus so its possible ;)

jessied

HSC
goan_crazy said:
yeah but if they specify talk about 2 from those 5, what r u gonna talk about
Im doing sacred writings and symbolism...

Christian Variants include Anglican, Cathoilic, Orthodox, etc
Jewish variants include reformed, orthodox etc
Joe, it's Reform Judaism not Reformed..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)