• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Where to after Graduation? (1 Viewer)

Pilotdude

HSC
Hey guys,

Got into Edith Cowan, Perth and im going to do a degree in business (management), but what happens afterwards?

I mean career wise i would like to head for upper management, general manager, COO and CEO. Those are my ultimate goals and i the way i see it, someones gotta be CEO it may as well be me :)

How do you do it? Apply for Grad programmes.

I would like to either get into management at an airline or stay with woolies, those are the two things that im passionate about so i would never see going to work as a "job" if you know what i mean.

So after graduation where do you go and what do you do. Do you start applying for cadetships/grad programmes in your final year of study or what?

Got so many questions that when i asked the university they said "its up to you" well duh!

Thanks for your help its much much appreciated and will help me decide whether this degrees the one lol

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
You plan to be a CEO?..

I believe many CEO's start somewhere from the bottom in the department of they manage?

A CEO for example may be selected from a director in accounts, finance, information systems, marketing etc... who in turn was once a manager in accounts/finance/marketing etc... etc. who was once a junior analyst/trainee in one of those fields..

Evidently however there are many areas which can sort of get you into the 'mix of things'.. say Advisory jobs (eg. in big4), business consultancy, management consultancy.. all which take grads.

Whats for certain is that there is no strict path for becoming a CEO... whereas if we were to talk about becoming a CFO, in this country a sure thing to boost your chances would be to get a CA qualification.

Only thing that I believe would be consistent with CEO's is that they all have great people/presentation/communication skills... which makes me laugh at all of the people majoring in management that are too shy to even stand up and answer a question in a tutorial.

Last edited:

Pilotdude

HSC
The way i see it is you may as well aim for the highest job and get as close to it as possible.

Look alot of managers are wankers but i think in alot of cuthroat industries you have to be but you dont have to be an ass to staff.

Thanks guys,

Any more advice opinions :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
still, aim for a grad job

not likely to become a manager in a cut-throat industry after university unless you meant safeway or big-w

stazi

Nightman
HSC
haha omnidragon, well said. You can aim as high as you want, but they won't even look at your application for upper management jobs. Why? To be a manager you actually have to understand how the bottom-line works. You can't learn this through textbooks or lectures. You actually have to work in the industry, and start close to the bottom. Even with McDonalds, how could you manage a store (for the small salary, nonetheless), if you don't understand the practices that apply to your staff members.

Ultimately, you will start small, but depending on your performance, you could quickly rise through the ranks. The best career progression can probably be achieved at 'recruit from within'-focussed firms.

koube0530

HSC
Seriously, go study management if you want to be a CEO. Or study accounting if you want to be a CFO. It's obvious, isn't it? All big 4 graduates end up as CFOs.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
'All big 4 graduates'? ...

Finance and Accounting are most important to be a CFO, not just accounting.

Management is also not that important as on its own, it's quite a useless major. You can be a CEO regardless of the field you started out in. There's even CEOs who studied Arts, or don't have a degree.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Koube, I think you need to come to the chilling realisation that people are more than what they study at uni. In fact, what you study at uni means jack all.

A degree with management major increasing ones chances of becoming a CEO?

That's about as good as saying eating milo is going to get me into the olympics.

What a joke.

koube0530

HSC
I am being sarcastic towards the original poster. I find it very funny when people say 'I aim to be a CEO' or something along those lines.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think that while its good to have long term goals it sometimes also distracts you from the present.

I think many retail places offer manager training programs for uni grads. I knew this manager at myer who was 23 and at the time i was like woah you rock

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Ahhh...

I'll never forget hearing a friend brag about how their partner dropped out of school and now, while we slaved for the HSC, he was earning a load managing a coffee shop.

The shop then got sold out and he became unemployed.

koube0530

HSC
Yea I know a guy who was the assistant manager of a Coles supermarket at 19 y.o a few yrs ago. If he had stayed, I bet he would have reached general manager by now. It's possible.

Pilotdude

HSC
Thanks for your responses.

Im at a cross roads lol, theres a couple of degrees i want to do, Aviation, Business and Information Technology.

Its frustrating trying to decide, although i like the sound of the business management and it seems to open up a few options but doesnt really make you more competitive by the sounds of what you guys are saying.

decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)