• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

which MP3 player? (1 Viewer)

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
hello people, iam looking to buy a mid-range MP3 player and am a bit confused as to which one to buy. i want one around 6-10Gb with a colour screen. My budget is around $400. Could you guys give me a few suggestions as to which one to buy.

thanks

Undertoad

HSC
Last edited:

vizman

HSC
I totally recommend the creative zen microphoto its awesome. a full complete package fm radio, recorder..etc nice colour screen its brilliant

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
vizman said:
I totally recommend the creative zen microphoto its awesome. a full complete package fm radio, recorder..etc nice colour screen its brilliant
have you hot the zen? if so what options does it have for playlists? does it let you create playlists 'on the go' like on iPods?

Collin

HSC
N/A
If you're just into it for the music, and not the extra-ware features like voice recorder, FM tuner etc., a standard 4th-gen 20GB iPod goes great ($379 @ Officeworks + Free skin). I'm in love with iTunes, the sound quality is good, ability to create personalised IQ settings via iTunes and you honestly can't beat the software user interface.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
jake2.0 said:
hello people, iam looking to buy a mid-range MP3 player and am a bit confused as to which one to buy. i want one around 6-10Gb with a colour screen. My budget is around $400. Could you guys give me a few suggestions as to which one to buy.

thanks
I totally recommend the iriver h320 or the updated current version, however its around 450 i believe. If you like, a PSP is another option, if size doesn't matter to you.
Make sure when buying a MP3 player, get the total package such as colour screen, voice recording, fm radio, fm recording etc...

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
i got a H10 5 gigs iRiver from JB 2 months ago for 280 bucks.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
If you're just into it for the music, and not the extra-ware features like voice recorder, FM tuner etc., a standard 4th-gen 20GB iPod goes great ($379 @ Officeworks + Free skin). I'm in love with iTunes, the sound quality is good, ability to create personalised IQ settings via iTunes and you honestly can't beat the software user interface.
*pats foobar*

Since it uses the replaygain algorithms instead of the soundcheck, the volumes remain constant since i don't put mine up too loud

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I too am in love with iTunes/iPod, so I'd recommend the new 5g iPod- but maybe you should try iTunes out yourself and see if you like the interface, smart playlists, etc..

HSC
anita_wax said:
creative were the first to come out with an mp3 player, stick with the original
Incorrect.

http://news.com.com/Bragging+rights+to+the+worlds+first+MP3+player/2010-1041_3-5548180.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_player

of course, Diamond is not Creative anyway, so what are you smoking? There were shitloads of generic and tiny companies pumping these things out (If we're referring to portable mp3 players at large, not just flash based) before any of the well known companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Edit: Just in case it's the != which has confused things here, I'm still struggling to figure out what you mean.

Last edited:

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Incorrect.

http://news.com.com/Bragging+rights+to+the+worlds+first+MP3+player/2010-1041_3-5548180.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_player

of course, Diamond != Creative anyway, so what are you smoking? There were shitloads of generic and tiny companies pumping these things out (If we're referring to portable mp3 players at large, not just flash based) before any of the well known companies jumped on the bandwagon.
The second DAP was the Rio PMP300 from Diamond Multimedia, introduced in September 1998. The Rio was a big success during the Christmas 1998 season as sales significantly exceeded expectations, spurring interest and investment in digital music. The Recording Industry Association of America soon filed a lawsuit alleging that the device abetted illegal copying of music, but Diamond won a legal victory on the shoulders of Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios and digital audio players were ruled legal devices.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
my iRiver has not let me down. I have complete faith in it.

HSC
anita_wax said:
The second DAP was the Rio PMP300 from Diamond Multimedia, introduced in September 1998. The Rio was a big success during the Christmas 1998 season as sales significantly exceeded expectations, spurring interest and investment in digital music. The Recording Industry Association of America soon filed a lawsuit alleging that the device abetted illegal copying of music, but Diamond won a legal victory on the shoulders of Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios and digital audio players were ruled legal devices.
Fascinating, so uh, what's your point? I must be a moron, I really don't see how that demonstrates that Creative made the first mp3 players, or have you moved on to something else here?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
JKDDragon said:
So what you're trying to say is, "buy something for the same price with fewer features if all you care about is the music".

The 20 gig Iriver (which I own)

- Plays movies with a firmware upgrade (albeit, it chews up your batteries, but no other player in its class can play movies)
- Colour screen
- Playlist support
- FM tuner
- View photos (a function that I've never used :p)
- Awesome voice recording (I use it to record untaped lectures at uni)
- Record off the radio

etc

Also, unlike the apple players Irivers act as an external drive, you can just plug it in and copy paste your music on to it. You don't need any additional software.

Ipods have pathetic track records with durability and Apple hits you hard in the hip pocket if you want to buy extras like a radio tuner. All this stuff comes with the Iriver. The only problem with the Iriver is that it's a bit thick, and the protective case which comes with the 20gig model only makes it thicker. Otherwise, it's the best 20gig player. If you're after a smaller player go with either the Creative Zen Touch or Iriver H10. The best jewel players are either the expensive I-rivers (and they cost a fortune) or some of the Samsung players, which have colour screens etc.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I dont get this whole "ipods can't act as an external drive" i use my ipod mini as a 4 gb flash drive and have isos and other programs i usually take around with me for ease if i ever need to repair/do something at a friends house, without additional software, i plug it into the usb/firewire port and drag and drop.

gracie007

HSC
DO NOT go out and get an ipod with that money. i would recommend a creative (any model) as i've got one and they r great, or an iriver, which are meant to be fantastic.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
well guys i decided to buy the creative microphoto, got it from JB HiFi for $338 (it was on special). Its great!! the touchpad isnt half as bad some people make it our to be, i'am yet to find a flaw in it.

thanks for all your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)