• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

why would an improvement in the Terms of Trade be a negative thing? (1 Viewer)

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
why would an improvement in the Terms of Trade be a negative thing?

since an improvement in the terms of trade results in a rise in Australia's income...

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i have read a gittin's article and it states, "when the terms of trade improve, the constant-price value of our production will understate out real income".

why is this so?

Will Hunting

HSC
A TOT improvment can be negative if it's accompanied by a deterioration in the CAD, which it usually is (A TOT means export prices have risen relative to imports, which will generally spur a greater outflow of funds on the BOGS). This, obviously, contributes to greater external instability and may necessitate corrective measures that are, themselves, instruments for greater strife (eg. drawing upon foreign savings to finance the widening deficit (due to the TOT), causing the "debt trap" scenario).

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
oh alright...

hmm it still seems a bit unclear as this topic, or subject, is beyond the mundane

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
the debt trap is a situation where an economy has to borrow money to service foreign debt, which creates more foreign debt which requires more money to service. It's a vicious cycle, an economic circumstance that countries try to avoid... Australia can be considered to be in the debt trap due to it's liquidation of public assets into private hands known as privatisation. Not good for us at all...

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
nick1048 said:
the debt trap is a situation where an economy has to borrow money to service foreign debt, which creates more foreign debt which requires more money to service. It's a vicious cycle, an economic circumstance that countries try to avoid... Australia can be considered to be in the debt trap due to it's liquidation of public assets into private hands known as privatisation. Not good for us at all...
o0o0o learn something new everyday...where for today, i have learnt a lot more than something...which means today is special =D

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
hahahahaha I'm pretty good @ eco so if u have any questions, post em up and I'll give them a go... cna't guarentee the best response tho... everything I post comes from my head, I don't look anything up... too lazy mainly XD

Mandy101

HSC
Will Hunting said:
A TOT improvment can be negative if it's accompanied by a deterioration in the CAD, which it usually is (A TOT means export prices have risen relative to imports, which will generally spur a greater outflow of funds on the BOGS). This, obviously, contributes to greater external instability and may necessitate corrective measures that are, themselves, instruments for greater strife (eg. drawing upon foreign savings to finance the widening deficit (due to the TOT), causing the "debt trap" scenario).
Wouldn't an improvement be positive? Rising export prices means more money is coming INTO Australia, as exporters exchange their foreign funds from sales into Australian dollars to meet expense requirements here.

The BGS would be improved, as there would be a larger balance on exports (more money flowing in from sales overseas) which is a credit.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
Mandy101 said:
Wouldn't an improvement be positive? Rising export prices means more money is coming INTO Australia, as exporters exchange their foreign funds from sales into Australian dollars to meet expense requirements here.

The BGS would be improved, as there would be a larger balance on exports (more money flowing in from sales overseas) which is a credit.
yes true but there is also a negative side to it

Mandy101

HSC
Well you coulllld say that it could lead to an appreciation, since more money would be flowing in from exports, and then you could go into the bad effects of appreciations such as rising import spending which would in turn worsen the TOT etc?

Will Hunting

HSC
Mandy101 said:
Wouldn't an improvement be positive?
No, not according to the remainder of my post. Read the rest.

Mandy101 said:
Rising export prices means more money is coming INTO Australia, as exporters exchange their foreign funds from sales into Australian dollars to meet expense requirements here.

The BGS would be improved, as there would be a larger balance on exports (more money flowing in from sales overseas) which is a credit
Yeah... just relax for a sec and think about it :p Ask yourself what has happened. The answer should be, export prices are now higher relative to import prices. That considered, what you have written above would hold if, and only if, export and import volumes remain constant (and, therefore, the BOGS should improve, since Aust would end up receiving more, relative to its trading partners, for the same quantity of output). This, however, is not the case. You will agree, I am sure, that participants in global market transactions (i.e. consumers and producers, both domestic and foreign) exert pressure on prices and quantities of goods and services produced through the forces of supply and demand.

If you can picture the demand-supply equilibrium, you will note that if the price of a good or service (or, in our case, imports in general) declines, then the demand for that good or service will rise, and, hence, more of that good or service will be produced (and, of course, consumed) in order to satisfy that demand. You should see that this could well mean greater revenue for our foreign neighbour, even though the price of their product has fallen and they are receiving less per unit of output. (In other words, it could have a negative impact on the BOGS, and therefore the CAD in its totality).

Conversely, if the price of our exports happens to experience a relative increase (as would be the case in the event of a TOT improvement), then the demand for our exports would contrict and, thereby, cause supply and, therefore, revenue for our local producers to decrease (Unless the good or service in question was so highly price inelastic as to leave revenue unaltered, or even heightened, but this would describe an extreme cirumstance, and would certainly not justify the generalisation in citation that you have provided above). Put differently, a relative rise in export prices may not necessarily be accompanied by a matching rise in revenue, and, therefore, an improvement to the TOT could well have a negative impact on the BOGS and, of course, the CAD in totality.

Mandy101 said:
Rising export prices means more money is coming INTO Australia, as exporters exchange their foreign funds from sales into Australian dollars to meet expense requirements here
What are you talking about? This topic has nothing to do with exchange rates and/or how currencies are converted. Although the TOT may well respond to movements in the exchange rate, this has no relevance to the TOT, itself, nor to the question asked in this thread. The TOT is merely a measure of the price indices of imports versus exports. Since the TOT is calculated in units of $A only, whether or not purchasing funds are denominated in $A is not an issue if asked only to discuss the effect of, not the impacts on, a change in the TOT.

Also, on a point of interest, make sure to exercise more caution in your verb usage during any economic exchange. Words and phrases such as "means", and "exporters exchange" imply an air of certainty unbefitting this course. Replacing these words with "could mean", or "exporters may exchange" would be much more suitable, and would much better uphold the reality that economics is a subjective discipline, open to differing interpretations, multifarious possibilties, providential thought and prediction.

On some of the other posts in this thread, to assuage any shakiness or uncertainty, read my post again. What I wrote initially is absolutely correct and this thread could safely have been closed out with that response alone, since it answers the question in as great depth as is required.

Hope this helps out ;)

Last edited:

Mandy101

HSC
^Yikes, I wasn't typing an essay, I was answering a question. Obviously I wasn't going to go over my expression with a fine toothed comb.

And with TOT and exports - when interpreting, we use the volume, not the prices. The TOT itself is a price index when measuring, but the interpretation is based around volumes. So you wouldn't go into how prices would affect the demand, because that has nothing to do with the interpretation.

And I mentioned exchange rates are a link as to why it would be positive, I didn't automatically 'associate' it with TOT. Also, exchange rates can provide the link to a 'negative' which I posted later on in the thread... so exchange rates do have something to do with TOT.

If my post offended you, that wasn't it's intention. I was just contributing to the thread.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)