• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Working Families (2 Viewers)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Well the election has well and truly past us, and with it, I assumed so too, would the empty rhetoric and soundbites that Rudd and Swan endlessly gorged the media with throughout the campaign.

Ah but, to no avail..

The continual use of the 'working family' in respect of those being 'hit hard' by the rising costs of living, sufferng financial stress and requiring government assistance is the one which really gets me riled up.

Every concern raised is a concern of 'working families'. A brushstroke term generally applied, when ultimately not all 'working families' are affected equally by the challenges faced, with some not affected at all.

At the end of the day, what is a working family? I assume he's not talking about those who reside in Department of Housing and live off the government tip. Nor would he be referring to those single parents who work two jobs to provide mere sustainance, they're not a 'family' as such are they? Is he referring to the standard nuclear family? Or is it any household that consists of two or more people, residing with some close or personal relationship. I assume these people are still able to classify themselves as 'family' in the general meaning of the word.

Aside from the first category of individuals mentioned, which families don't work? Whether the collective earnings of the family be $500,000 or $50,000, the mantra of 'working families' applies equally. They each work, earn income and consume. Or do some careers and income brackets fall out of the requirements of a family that 'works'? Do they just earn without effort?

There is no delineation in the phrase between class, income or relative social position. But I think that is the strength of the phrase politically. It does not delineate, discriminate or create class envy. It is all encompassing and provides an [apparently] inclusive approach to government and policy, albeit in a superficial manner.

What of those who are not in families but are struggling to cope with the same pressures of living? Every day, I see an extremely large group of our society who live in squalor, struggle to make ends meet and generally these people live alone; the elderly, the mentally ill, the disabled and those struggling to cope with drug dependence. We have this focus on the plight of the family and these groups of individuals struggle moreso than any other in society.

What are your thoughts on the definition of the 'working family' and its application. Is there a better term that is more appropriate? Do we have too much of a focus on family to the detriment of those who struggle outside of this narrow classification?

Gay Captain

HSC
It's an appeal to the ignorant majority of people in this country

end of

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I think if you add "class" into the equation you will get a better, less tactful idea of what Kevin Rudd was constantly speaking about and referring to.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
A phrase developed by focus group, as a counter to Rudd's perceived elitist wanker image, with the mandarin and all.
It sounds pleasing to the ears of the proles.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
It's a non-controversial term which most people are happy to identify with. (Howard used it regularly as well, as you will remember from "Australian working families have never been better off".)

HSC
N/A
It's vague and encompasses the majority of the population. Because it can be applied to almost anyone, it appeals to people (esp those who don't understand politics). Most politicians have something of the sort.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
A defintion:

Mr Rudd was also forced to redefine "working families" after being confronted by a radio listener.
"When we say working families, we're not talking about some nuclear family of mum, dad and the two kids. It's people who are out there in a set of family relationships either under one roof or beyond one roof, who are under financial pressure."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rudd-to-end-baby-bonus-for-rich/2008/05/02/1209235155734.html

Does that mean that those unemployed persons in a 'family relationship' who are under financial pressure, are working families?

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I hate that catch phrase 'working families' what about those who have to do it alone? what about single families? disadvantage families, rich families?

What I think Rudd means is: working families = mother and father unemployed and lazy to work and their children are force to work and pay for their parents bills. :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
IN 2005, Melbourne-based pollsters Essential Media Communications asked voters to describe themselves as "workers, working people, working families or middle class"

EMC is now credited with the "working family" slogal that was chosen by most voters polled. It was fist used by the ACTU and former Victorian premier Steve Bracks, before Mr Rudd followed suit.
The Australian, today

Beazely used middle Australia

Dont know why I bothered writing this

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's mildly interesting. If youre following the American campaigns, 'middle class' is all the rage. (Hillary, rebuilding the middle class etc ETCETC)

kokodamonkey

HSC
all these fancy buzz words are acceptable when one is in opposition, but when one is in government you have to grow up and act more properly and seriously. Just look at Wayne Swan to get what im talking about.. in terms of the fact that they still talk/act like they are opposition.. this isn't a game.. this is 21million people's lives.. this is no fancy press release... you gotta get the job done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)