• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Workload of beginner language units (1 Viewer)

Buj

HSC
I'm doing an Arts degree full time (4 units of study a sem), majors in Korean and Chinese studies. Starting uni this year, semester 1. I have limited knowledge of Korean and next to none of Chinese and Japanese.

How many language units could I do simultaneously from a beginner level starting this year, realistically? Choosing from Chinese, Korean & Japanese, so CHNS 1101/02, KRNS 1621/22, JPNS 1611/12. If I did three at once would it be too much? I will definitely be doing Korean and Chinese this year, and was thinking about Japanese too. I'm interested in following Korean through to Korean 6 - KRNS 3622 and Chinese to Chinese 3B (Upper Intermediate) - CHNS 3602. I'm not as concerned with keeping up with Japanese at this time, I just plan on learning eventually and wouldn't mind doing some now.

Is my current plan of 2 languages and full time study crazy enough? I don't know enough about workload of languages and units of study. I don't mind doing a semester with 4 and then dropping down to 3 if need be.

Just looking for some pointers, thanks very much.

engineering

HSC
N/A
It is usually expected that a student does 24 credit points per semester (4 units of study), high should equate to a total commitment of about 35 -40 hours a week of timetabled classes, assignments, study etc.

That is extremely general, and depends on your own circumstances and learning styles about how efficiently you learn, and if you are aiming for 50 or 99.

Also your own learning style might be good for or not good for trying to start multiple languages at once. Only you know that (or at least you will know that once you start).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)