• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Writing in excess of lines (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, you won't get get mark down if you need extra lines. It's not a speech or a word-limited essay :)

jellybelly59

HSC
If you look at some of the board of studies papers with the sample answers... They tell you where the marks are allocated... Even if you write extra they will only give u the marks which answer the question... Marking only gives marks... They can't deduct marks but its better not to make them bored shitless with info dats irrelevant

gl with SC :D

ubermale

HSC
How do markers mark people who write more than what has been allocated by the lines? What I mean is, say you have been given ten lines, but then you write fifteen lines, will the extra five lines be marked? Will it lose you marks? etc.

Also, with extended responses, is it ok to continue writing on the back cover of the exam booklet?

acevipa

HSC
I also would like to know. My guess is no, as I always write excess and in my trials, wrote 1.5 pages extra for my history and geography extended response, and still got full marks.

HSC
I don't think you'd be penalized, but you should learn to write concise answers. If they give you 10 lines, you should write about 10 lines, not 5 or 15. (This is for short response answers. Save time by not writing unnecessary lines, and spend the time saved on the extended responses).

militiaman

HSC
Yeah, IMO they would still mark the extended writing, but the point is that you should be able to write in the lines given and still give a band 6 answer.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I don't see how you would lose marks for writing more.

eccentric-one

HSC
ubermale said:
How do markers mark people who write more than what has been allocated by the lines? What I mean is, say you have been given ten lines, but then you write fifteen lines, will the extra five lines be marked? Will it lose you marks? etc.

Also, with extended responses, is it ok to continue writing on the back cover of the exam booklet?
This year the BOS is trying to cut back on markers so they have instructed all markers to discontinue reading once the lines are finished. I'm sure they will be a little lenient with this instruction but i wouldn't go over an extra line or two.

Peace!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
eccentric-one said:
This year the BOS is trying to cut back on markers so they have instructed all markers to discontinue reading once the lines are finished. I'm sure they will be a little lenient with this instruction but i wouldn't go over an extra line or two.

Peace!
Can you post a link to this advice to markers please?

I work with a number of SC markers and they haven't started so I don't know how you can know what instructions have been given to markers.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
your not supposed to lose marks but my english teacher who is a school certificate marker says that she gets pissed off when ppl do that. so it would be better not to go over the lines

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
your not supposed to lose marks but my english teacher who is a school certificate marker says that she gets pissed off when ppl do that. so it would be better not to go over the lines

live.fast

HSC
N/A
um, just my 2 cents..
but i advise u to write excess lines. it works. writing all over the place, on the sides of the booklet, upside down around the page. i mite not be a sc marker..but i got 99 in sc history, n i wrote upside down n around n everywhere. dont have to listen to my advice tho.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
It really depends on who the marker is. I had an English teacher who was like really strict and people who wrote over a page got a C. I was one of them. However, in the yearly, I only wrote 2 pages out of the 3 pages supplied and I got a B. If you come to my school, the less you write, the better because the teachers are so damn lazy!
So yeh, its best to check up with the school of what's required in the School Certificate..... and your own exams as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SChool Certificate aim: all band 6's (worried if I will get that for English)

HSC subjects (considering): Advanced English, 3 unit Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Ancient History.

uai aim:

if I stay at sefton, then it'll be: 95+
if change to fort street, then it'll be: 98+
if change to sydney girls, then it'll be: 99+

vasuu91

HSC
like someone said before, i too write everywhere on the writing booklet. and it does look messy. and the last time i did this in legal for a response i did get a comment saying i 'write too much but its alrite as long as i had time'...got full marks nevertheless...therefore works for me!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
It really depends on who the marker is. I had an English teacher who was like really strict and people who wrote over a page got a C. I was one of them. However, in the yearly, I only wrote 2 pages out of the 3 pages supplied and I got a B. If you come to my school, the less you write, the better because the teachers are so damn lazy!
So yeh, its best to check up with the school of what's required in the School Certificate..... and your own exams as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SChool Certificate aim: all band 6's (worried if I will get that for English)

HSC subjects (considering): Advanced English, 3 unit Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Ancient History.

uai aim:

if I stay at sefton, then it'll be: 95+
if change to fort street, then it'll be: 98+
if change to sydney girls, then it'll be: 99+
Really? Teachers at Sefton are lazy now? Well doesn't matter - Sydney Girls a better school than the other two combined. :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
but I heard that if you write more than what they provide in terms of lines (like, writing where no lines are provided) it's not marked by of BoS markers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)