• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 final exams study patterns (1 Viewer)

Future-Med-GP

HSC
The Year 11 final yearly exams are approaching quite quickly, and my study patterns after school such as revising and making notes are sloppy.

When I arrive at home, I'm determined and ready to study. I arrive home at times 3:15-3:45pm, eat and shower. I finish tidying my books/folders min. at 5pm and max. at 6pm, probably the reason why I start at these times because I'm tired and kind of walk around the house.. Then I'm not motivated due to the 1hr - 2hr waste of time
and then I finally start doing my homework.

I've been doing my homework daily and it takes me quite a while at times to finish it, as in, the whole day after school :(. It feels like I waste time and I don't learn a lot doing loads of sheets of homework... Days continue to pass, and I rarely revise and make notes. I'm worried because the final exams are approaching, and day by day, it seems like my time management isn't too good, and I won't be able to achieve good rankings to boost my HSC confidence for Term 4.

How can I fix this? Advice is appreciated. Ty.

TurkStyle

HSC
just do what i do. bluge in class and at home then wen its 2 days till exams do 2
6 hour sessions using the syllabus and stuff then own the test.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
ever tasted profound failure?

remember that feeling and how much you never want to feel it ever again, and keep it in mind for the next year or so.

don't just do sheets of homework - if you feel that they aren't really doing it for you go down to the library to get supplementary material [plus, here you don't really have much reason for distraction]

use your school diary as if it was some valuable appendage that is key to your organisation - if you are devoid of one of these, buy one and write down everything [and remember to look in it].

listen in class - take berocca or drink coffee if you really need to. remain alert. discipline is key.

-from a former total lazy shit

selablad

HSC
Future-Med-GP said:
I've been doing my homework daily and it takes me quite a while at times to finish it, as in, the whole day after school :(. It feels like I waste time and I don't learn a lot doing loads of sheets of homework... Days continue to pass, and I rarely revise and make notes. I'm worried because the final exams are approaching, and day by day, it seems like my time management isn't too good, and I won't be able to achieve good rankings to boost my HSC confidence for Term 4.

How can I fix this? Advice is appreciated. Ty.
There is your problem right there. The obvious solution, therefore, is to stop doing so much homework. Now, this might be a problem if your teachers are very strict about marking it, but as a general rule they aren't.

This is like in Sims, where you spend countless hours and days just fulfilling their needs, but never actually achieving anything in terms of aspirations or careers. What do you do then? Keep playing like you have been? Of course not! You *cheat*!

So! If your teachers are strict: talk to them and tell them that you are struggling to make time to study and revise effectively, and you feel that that would be a more productive use of your time than lots of homework. They will probably be impressed with your dedication to your studies and perhaps let you only do half the homework, or something. Act all mature, and you will get your way.

If they are not strict: very simple, just stop doing so much homework and only do homework if you are struggling with a topic and need to revise it (that is the point of homework after all). If you 'got' a topic already and don't need to do countless pointless exercises, then don't. If you want to achieve good rankings and marks: the *most important thing* is to make sure you don't neglect school altogether, but to take a more independent attitude and make up for less time doing mandatory homework by replacing it with proper study, which you said you wanted to do anyway.

(I mean, your username is Future-Med-GP. I hardly think you'll have a slacking-off problem! :D)

In summary:: stop doing homework, do real work instead. And good luck with your rankings and stuff!

Future-Med-GP

HSC
Thanks all for your advice, especially from selablad and gouge.away :).

Selablad, that advice about talking to teachers was interesting. I believe mainly Chemistry and Biology (even though I'm doing alright in both) is loaded with all these pointless homework sheets. I will try and overcome this problem by studying more instead of wasting 4 hours+ on homework, like I did today for eng and ext math :(. I must study by finishing and mastering the dotpoint science books, which will be quite beneficial instead of doing pointless sheets:). Thanks again.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)