• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 Subjects Selection and ATAR (1 Viewer)

thomasdo2

HSC
N/A
I'm currently in year 10 moving to year 11 next year, I wanted to know exactly what raw marks I should be getting right now in year 10 so I could set my ATAR goal. School was ranked in the top 60's now moved up to 100's.

There are basic core subjects in year 10 plus 2 electives, I basically got an "A" in all subjects which equates to 85%+. To even think about a 99+ ATAR, should I be getting like 95%+ or 90%+ in year 11 and 12? I'm quite lazy and do all assignments last minute, but if I step up my game, I'm positive I can definitely go better.

I choose these subjects for year 11:

- MX1 (doing HSC in 11 and X2 in 12)
- English ADV
- Chem
- Physics
- IPT
- SOR 1u

I'm not sure about IPT, I wanted to try it out first and if I don't like it I'd switch to economics. So yeah, next year what marks should I be aiming for in relation to internal and external exams?

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't really "set up" your atar, the only thing you can do is study hard and hope for the best. As you start year 11, a lot of your cohort will step up their game and year 10 is NOTHING like year 11. If you're aiming for a 99+ atar, you should be ideally in the top 5 ranks for all your subjects. Being close to 1st or being 1st will ensure a good atar.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
ideally in the top 5 ranks for all your subjects. Being close to 1st or being 1st will ensure a good atar.
I just want to reinforce what you said further, yes ideally you should be at the 'top of the class' and giving it 110%, working to the best of your ability and taking advantage of the weak cohort. Man you gotta do what you gotta do if you really want that ATAR of 90+ or whatever it may be...

FancyPenguin

HSC
may as well just skip the IPT thing and go straight to economics, have the Asian 5 from the start.

Thank_You

HSC
Year 10 is definitely NOT a good guide to reflect your ATAR, maybe year 11 has a slight taste of how you're going to do in year 12. Well that's for my case :wavey:

HSC
Year 10 or 11 content is no where near the courses you learn in year 12. One can't make a judgment on how well you should be doing in year 10 to set your atar goal. If you want to get a high atar you have to be in the top of your cohorts for all subjects

thomasdo2

HSC
N/A
You can't really "set up" your atar, the only thing you can do is study hard and hope for the best. As you start year 11, a lot of your cohort will step up their game and year 10 is NOTHING like year 11. If you're aiming for a 99+ atar, you should be ideally in the top 5 ranks for all your subjects. Being close to 1st or being 1st will ensure a good atar.
I'm currently in maths accelerated, ranked with the year 11, I'm currently holding rank 1.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to step up my game and be prepared for 11 and 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)