• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

your opinion plz (1 Viewer)

Beck_bb

do u believe that compulsory voting is a breach of a citizen's rights? and that aust. should adopt a voluntary system?
please tell us what ya think!!!

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i dont believe it is a breach of rights, if anything it enforces rights, allows people to have a voice--> universal suffrage a civil and political right

Sophie777

I think you should have a right to not take place in the voting system. However, I believe the huge lack of Americans voting is partly the reason George Bush is in power. Or, the population is completely blind and dumb.

santaslayer

HSC
I dunno whetjere to agree or disagree...

On one hand, I believe in compulsory voting for all the reasons HSC4LIFE has provided. On the other though, it's a big pain in the arse ...just to go to my local primary school and tick boxes...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I do think it violates a persons right not to vote...

But having said that i do support compulsary voting

Look in the United States. Bush was only elected by about 25% of the total population. (beacuse of a turnout of 50%)

At least in Australia 53% voted howard.

shimmerme

HSC
damn so annoyed just wrote a reply then managed to delete it.. anyways.
what i think-

as far as the immediate interests of the individual go, it is rather controlling of the government to force people to vote- if they are ignorant due to lack of interest or education-

what is better- the 50 percent who can be bothered to vote and take interest in their countries leader or the 100% of which at least half couldnt give a shit??

also, did we fare much better than america with our leader??

the danger in compulsory voting is the development of group think (the majority has a tendancy to be stupid)... not to mention the half who wouldnt vote otherwise- could possibly be more susceptible to proganda and therefore elect a prime minister/president/political party based on misunderstandings..

its a hard call to make..

does a person have a responsiblity to take an interest in thier country? and that should come with the accompanying right- but what if u dont fulfill the responsiblity..

i think you should have the right not to vote- but what if noone voted what would happen then

i dont know enough to say whether it does or not.. just some food for thought

Jonathan A

HSC
I don't believe it is at all. Compulsiry voting ensures that people make an effort to be involved in their political process. It uses a different tactic to a hegemonic system where people choose because they want to vote.

If we stop compulsory voting, only those with disgust or outright support will vote, not the everday citizen who may feel weak voting as they have been made weak speaking out.

The problem with those who advocate the optional voting system is the tend to be representative of a libertarian extremist faction of society that believes in a society close to anarchy. Compulsory voting asserts some control on society and ensures that people can excercise a civil liberty they hold to ensure a government is elected based on a collective decision, not just the voice of the few.

davidatsyduni

HSC
australian citizens dont have many human rights (legally), among those existent including the right to vote (in fed elections) and freedom of religion. So, we have a right to vote, but that isnt a duty. UN conventions have the right to self- determinantion (the right for people to determine their own form of governent), but again, this is a right. So, in this respect, voting shouldnt be compulsory, however those reasonably of sound mind (adult, mentally able) and qualified (e.g. australian citizen) should be permitted to vote if they choose to do so.

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
well i think compulsory voting is an exercise of one's duty

we have a duty to keep our system democratic and fair and what way better than to vote for the sucker ourselves? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)