• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Youth allowance queries (1 Viewer)

alicia1990

HSC
Firstly, I am a 2008 HSC grad who received disappointed results
and thus studying a diploma full-time.
I have been working since year 11, and I am wanting to apply youth allowance as a independant.
I am pretty confident that I would fall in to one of the criterias,
"have earned at least 75% of max wage in an 18month period"
thts around about $19,500 at present date
even tho it has not been 18 months since i left sch
I still have earned over the 19k mark.
It will be like 3 months more til I have left sch for 18 mths
problem is ,
- how to we measure the time we left school? HSC starts in Oct,
so does it start counting from Oct, or the moment the course is finished? (i.e. Sep)

- On centre link's site, it claims tht all uni students are eligible whilst some TAFE and dip students are also available

"Full-time secondary education courses, graduate courses, undergraduate courses, and some Masters, diplomas, and TAFE courses are approved for Youth Allowance."

- Lastly, how do we find which providers are eligible? and if Insearch:UTS is eligbile

Thanks in advance guys :)
Is there any special consideration that may be granted if the course im studying isn't an approved course.

It is pretty hard to cope with full time study and 20hrs work per week
I live by myself and only rent is paid by my parents,
it is hard not to work.

Cheers guys

Peartie

HSC
the only one of your questions i can answer from experience is when the 18 months started...when I applied I was told that it was from the date of my last HSC exam (which was the last day of the HSC exams anyway)...so whenever your last exam was + 18 months = when you can start getting YA...

other questions (such as what diplomas etc) im sure will be answered somewhere on the Centrelink website/call up and ask/go in and ask...

alicia1990

HSC
ohh cheers
thanks for the reply :)

There might be some gray area under the phrase "approved coures at approved institution", centrelink has not got a list of all approved courses online or on publications

this makes it difficult to determine what courses will be available
altho i truly think that courses like mine OR sibt should be granted youth allowance
only because we have failed the 1st time and we hvnt given up, by completing a diploma we strive to continue uni study
especially my course is directly related to university, it is equvilent to year 1 at UTS

But after researching on the net, I don't think my course is eligible to be considered "full time study" altho it is a bridging course which sets me directly to uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)