• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Yr 11 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

spatula232

HSC
I'm in Yr 10 right now and have subject selection coming up. What I want to do is:
- Ext. Maths (3 Units)
- English Adv.
- Physics
- Legal Studies
- SoR 1 (Cath. School)
= 10 Units

Then for the others I can't decide whether to choose Business/Eco/PDH. If I only choose one of these I will only have 12 units, with no backup. I'm worrying whether I will cope with Ext. Maths, my teacher says to do it for sure and I'm quite strong at it, but yet I have no backup to rely on if I want to drop to Mathematics (the 2 unit one) :confused2: If I do Eco I'm told it's a lot of work and i don't want to get completely slammed with work (even that I know it will happen - Commerce teacher reckons business as too not build my stress levels too much :spin:). So my main issue is whether I should go into Yr 11 with 14 units or go with 12 (but then no chance to drop Maths). I don't have much of an idea of what career I want, was thinking somewhere in Commerce. So would it be smarter to go into Yr 11 with 12 units and stick with maths, or go in with 14 units and have the ability to drop it if need be.

What do you guys think? :confused:

cookiez69

What a stupid name, Nat.
HSC
Go with 14 units, and that way if you think that the workload is too high and you don't particularly enjoy MX1, you could drop it. As for the decision between business/eco/PDH choose the two subjects you would enjoy the most i.e. if you've found yourself enjoying commerce and not so much PDH, choose business and economics. Anyway if you regret picking a subject, your school should give you a certain time period where you are able to swap subjects.

R4diance

HSC
Go with 14 units, and that way if you think that the workload is too high and you don't particularly enjoy MX1, you could drop it. As for the decision between business/eco/PDH choose the two subjects you would enjoy the most i.e. if you've found yourself enjoying commerce and not so much PDH, choose business and economics. Anyway if you regret picking a subject, your school should give you a certain time period where you are able to swap subjects.
Agreed. Best to keep your options open at the beginning of Year 11. Go with 14 units if you are given the opportunity, then drop 1/2 units whenever you feel like it. As for Business/Eco/PDHPE, go with whichever you think you will do best in, and like the most.

enoilgam

HSC
This pretty much - I'd go with 14, it just keeps your options more open and you can drop in the first few weeks anyway. Also, try to keep an open mind with your subjects - dont enter year 11 with the idea of dropping a certain subject at the end of Prelim. Year 11 is the time to try things out so that you have more options when it comes to culling your subjects for the HSC.

spatula232

HSC
Thanks for that. I hear tho that eco is a heap of work, esp. in your own time? What is the workload like, cause thats my issue with it all. I don't want to get into yr 11 and have so much work I wont be able to cope and im good at commerce and pdh at the moment so i think i would do pretty well at both of them anyways.

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks for that. I hear tho that eco is a heap of work, esp. in your own time? What is the workload like, cause thats my issue with it all. I don't want to get into yr 11 and have so much work I wont be able to cope and im good at commerce and pdh at the moment so i think i would do pretty well at both of them anyways.
The workload isnt that intense, but I will say that it did require a bit more work than most of my other subjects. So I wouldnt base my decision off that personally.

spatula232

HSC
Alright Cheers. I guess I will talk to my teachers and see what they recommend. If I didn't have to do Religion I wouldn't be having this problem :p Oh Well. Thanks for all your help. At least that gives me something to think about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)