• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Yr 12 have no idea how to study need help badly (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, unless i start studying properly i'm gonna be murdered when i get my ATAR of 40 or something like that. My ranks are all horrible, marks are as well. I have no idea how to study. I do

Maths 2U
Business
Physics
Biology
English Advanced

IT (Don't need to study)

I have no idea, i basically do the work at school and nothing at home, i really need to know how to study so i can do well in the tests as i have already screwed in the Term 1, these three terms i plan to study hard so that i can reach my goal of 90+

In maths i'm utter rubbish, i have coroneos book which i don't even touch, so i need suggestion for that, and do i have to make notes? How do i study to remember all of the content for HSC?

Business my report writing is bad 50% around and the content i even worse, how do i study for that since there is no dot points like maths as well.

Physics, do i just do the dot points?

Biology, dot points as well?

English Advanced what should i do? I heard you can pratice essays for the HSC or something?

So how do i write the dot points about how much lines? I just read it and summaries each dot point? What else should i do? Read what i did at school? But like say next week or something in week 3 how do i remember the stuff i did in week 2?

Thanks, i really need help.

Examine

same
HSC
I hope you are joking about Business Studies having no dotpoints.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
In maths i'm utter rubbish, i have coroneos book which i don't even touch, so i need suggestion for that, and do i have to make notes? How do i study to remember all of the content for HSC?
Past paper questions after working on textbooks. No notes. You'll remember it through practice.

Business my report writing is bad 50% around and the content i even worse, how do i study for that since there is no dot points like maths as well.
Syllabus dot points.

Yes.

Yes.

English Advanced what should i do? I heard you can pratice essays for the HSC or something?
Ask someone else.

So how do i write the dot points about how much lines? I just read it and summaries each dot point? What else should i do? Read what i did at school? But like say next week or something in week 3 how do i remember the stuff i did in week 2?
Yes. Go over it all again when exams come up.

Bobbo1

HSC
Hi, unless i start studying properly i'm gonna be murdered when i get my ATAR of 40 or something like that. My ranks are all horrible, marks are as well. I have no idea how to study. I do

Maths 2U
Business
Physics
Biology
English Advanced

IT (Don't need to study)

I have no idea, i basically do the work at school and nothing at home, i really need to know how to study so i can do well in the tests as i have already screwed in the Term 1, these three terms i plan to study hard so that i can reach my goal of 90+

Maths 2u - fitzpatrick textbook and then smash the hell out of past papers
Physics - print out notes from the resources section, learn them and then onto past papers
English - perfect your essays - get it marked 10 times if necessary, and then practice adapting this essay to different questions

Gigacube

HSC
You need to make sure that your notes cover each dot point. It doesn't matter how many lines or how lengthy they are as long as you understand what the dot point is about. Turn the dot point into a question & see if you can answer it. Later on you can cut down the length of your notes but right now it's important to cover everything.

Try to be a step or a few steps ahead of what you are doing at school. It can help learning something by yourself the first time & then going through it with the class a second time. Also, ask your teacher for help & don't be afraid to ask stupid questions in class.

To be able to remember what you did last week or a few weeks ago requires constant revision. This means studying on a regular basis & completing all your assignments & homework before the due date. Don't try to revise everything all at once as that won't work.

Try drawing up a timetable & marking study times for yourself & maybe write what you plan on doing during that time. It can help keep you organised & on track.

jnney

lemon
HSC
1. tip : there should be goals that you need to achieve every day. if you like diaries, then get a diary. if not, use a piece of paper. write what you need to do for that day, and then cross them off. make sure you cross off most of the things on your list. but ensure that your goals are realistic, don't put something like 'learn whole bio topic'

2. for physics and bio: understanding>memorisation. i used to do the whole memorising content thing but it's not very helpful when it comes to exams. make sure that once you've read the textbook or whatever and have understood the relevant points to the syllabus, hit the past papers. you can make your own notes, or use other people's notes on this site's resource section. dont treat them like gold though, because each person has made notes to address their own needs. they will have certain bits of information every now and then. when you do past paper questions, and teach the subject to someone else (your sister, dog, imaginary person) you are more likely to retain what you need to learn. do it constantly.

3. english = read your text, analyse it. ask for essay questions from your teacher, write it, send it back to your teacher, read the feedback. repeat process.

4. maths : it's time you start doing some exercises from that textbook. and once you're comfortable, past papers.

have fun.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Don't stress if you haven't been doing much recently/for a lot of high school (considering those questions... no offence m8).
Just take heed to the advice in this thread.

Also, explain your situation to your teachers and ask for their help/directions.

jnney

lemon
HSC
oh yeah, make sure you take breaks in between your study

plasticities

HSC
For biology, make notes according to the dot points so you know you covered everything, but also do practice hsc questions for each module as you go along, because what my teacher emphasised was how to correctly word and format your answers so that you don't miss out on any marks.

English, just make sure you have a concrete knowledge of what each module is about and what is expected of you. Something that I found really handy for english, especially getting closer to trials when I wanted to write a fair few, was making a template. It really helps with structure and allows you to see if you're missing anything ie quotes, techniques and also makes it much easier to read. So when you get around to writing your essays you can make a rough draft really quickly by just inserting information into the template. Also, practice writing your essays at least once before each exam to make sure you can fit it in the allotted time.

For maths, I had an awesome teacher so the methods were very clear and concise and easy to understand. Just do your homework and as many past exams as possible leading up to assessments as well as possibly writing some notes to help you remember formulas or methods that you don't understand easily.

delian

HSC
N/A
Don't panic.
Ask teachers for help- better to address understanding issues earlier rather than later.

HSC
So studying, is:

summarise text book via dot points
keep reading them
do practice papers

Do i need anything else? But how do i remember everything for maths? Just keep doing home work and test papers but what about the stuff beforehand how do i remember that? i know people keep saying practice, but exactly what?

thanks for your help

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
There is little to remember in Maths. Learn the concept and apply it to different Qs. Practice through repetition, pull out past papers to do.

HSC
Right now i am so stressed out, like crazy stressed, my brain feels so heavy and omg i can't handle it, its getting to the point where is unhealthy. I look at my Term 1 notes and i'm not even sure if they are good or not. Can i scan them and show you guys? Do i also have to do notes for the 2nd column? (Students)

Just now i tried to start doing for BS but i can't even concentrate cuz the stress is so insane, like my room, even though i am a disgraceful dumbass i look around all i see is fricken work thats due next week, tomorrow, work that i meant to have already done, its so overwhelming, i just feel like ending it all.

Physically and mentally this is absolutely killing me, no joke. I have no idea. Every week passes so fast before i know it i'll be in the exam room with an empty brain. I seriously need help.

Plus when i come home at bloddy 4pm in the morning the school is so damned exhausting i just feel like laying down and sleeping till next day of school, how can i study like 3 hours or something?

How much a week is the minimum i should do? My head is killing me right now.

Last edited:

connie94

HSC
Right now i am so stressed out, like crazy stressed, my brain feels so heavy and omg i can't handle it, its getting to the point where is unhealthy. I look at my Term 1 notes and i'm not even sure if they are good or not. Can i scan them and show you guys? Do i also have to do notes for the 2nd column? (Students)

Just now i tried to start doing for BS but i can't even concentrate cuz the stress is so insane, like my room, even though i am a disgraceful dumbass i look around all i see is fricken work thats due next week, tomorrow, work that i meant to have already done, its so overwhelming, i just feel like ending it all.

Physically and mentally this is absolutely killing me, no joke. I have no idea. Every week passes so fast before i know it i'll be in the exam room with an empty brain. I seriously need help.

Plus when i come home at bloddy 4pm in the morning the school is so damned exhausting i just feel like laying down and sleeping till next day of school, how can i study like 3 hours or something?

you need to speak to someone. a parent, a counsellor, a teacher, an adult you trust. it's not okay for you to feel this way, it shouldn't be that bad.

Aysce

HSC

Relax m8. Firstly, CALM DOWN! At this rate you're going to "burn out" or just mindfuck yourself so just give yourself a little break for the time being. Secondly, prioritise the work that you currently have. You should be consistently doing your work so it doesn't accumulate and become a whole block of work you have to cover in a matter of 2 weeks or so on. May I ask, why are you stressed? Did you fail to manage your time properly and leave the work to the last minute?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
you need to speak to someone. a parent, a counsellor, a teacher, an adult you trust. it's not okay for you to feel this way, it shouldn't be that bad.
Yes this.

But i know your feeling. You want to try and do so much right now. And whatever you do you think it isn't enough.

First of all just STOP. Right now make a list of everything you want/need to do. And do only the essentials. And when i mean right now i mean RIGHT NOW.
A systematic approach is much more efficient than anything else and gives a lot more direction.

Once you've got your immediate concerns jotted down go (and only when) try and set some long-term goals.

Get cracking :) (i hope this helped)

HSC
I'll make my list now then.. Hopefully can start working on it

OMGNINJA

HSC
physics and biology do dot point summaries
maths and physics u might wana get a tutor, but if u arent then just keep doing extra questions/past papers
for english u shud read ur texts at least 3 times (even im finding that hard) but it is recommended

make sure u fit ur study time AROUND ur leisure activities but also learn to prioritise (the last thing u want is to be studying while thinking about things u miss)

dont study if ur feeling tired, because u wont absorb as much information, if u feel tired sleep and study after, always get a good night sleep

MAKE A TIMETABLE and try to stick to it (its only a guide so it can be flexible) that way u plan what ur doing and u have a goal to achieve by the end of ur time done studying

Set Goals (could be something like an atar or u wana beat some friend or something) just to keep u motivated

Remove distractions while studying (e.g ur phone, put it in another room dont put it near u or u WILL get distracted, always study on a table and chair-to replicate exam conditions so u feel more comfortable during exams as well, dont study infront of a TV, dont study on a bed(etc), DONT study infront of a computer unless ur 100% sure u wont get sidetracked on fb or whatever)

Organise Study groups per subject (get together with some friends to share notes and break up assignments between the 4 [because it has been proven that 4 is the best number, 5 will get too loud/distracting and 3 doesnt have enough resources to pull] if u think about it, u do 1 hr work and ur 3 other friends all do 1 hr work, and you share it, uve done 1 + (3x1) = 4 hours of work, and the 3 hours uve pulled out of no where can be used on relaxation, studying on other subjects, etc, also MAKE SURE the other people in your group are willing to do the work and not slack off, because if they are lazy they are just gona be a distraction to you and not really helping you.)

Hope this helps
Good luck! :)

HSC
Is doing 10 hours of study plus 5 hours of tutor a week less?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)