• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

3u projectile method instead of physics formulas (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
i have a law i live by:

"Dont leave anything to the markers"

Just keep each subject separate
Ok well i asked another physics teacher who used to mark hsc physics papers, he said so long as the answer is correct and you don't fluke it youll get full marks.
So thats that, im using 3u method for hsc.

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
fatmuscle said:
i used the physics formulae in maths

It's the same.

It'll be really stupid to say, solving an equation using 3U maths and solving the same equation using physics, comes up to different answers.

They are both maths, they will both give you the same answer. It's up to you to decide what and how to use them.
Your not allowed to use the physics formulae in the 3u maths course...
it specifically states that...
if you do use the physics formulae...u get no marks for working

________
Wolf^^

nathan_ernest

near black Mt which is near guyra which is near ur
HSC
READ THE DOCUMENTS ON THE BOS WEBSITE!!!!!!
You WILL NOT get the marks in physics if you use the x=vtcos[a]...
You must use s = ut+1/2at^2 etc.... because the dot point says, solve problems and analyse information using s=ut+1/2at^2 ...etc.
Therefore you must you this method. All those people who did it the other way, I guarantee that you lost marks for it because that is the way the nsw education system is designed.
Same deal in 3 unit maths. YOU WILL LOOSE MARKS IF THE PHYSICS FORMULA ARE USED. DON'T DO IT!!!
Sorry if I sound ignorant but I hate it when people take wrong advise when it may do them no good. Besides it is worth learning them.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The 3u way is essentially giving extra, correct, non contradictory information to the physics way, which it states somewhere that such information cannot be penalised. Also my teacher says that its fine to use either way in physics, just don't use the physics way in maths.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
We were told not to use either method in the wrong subject as they are different. YOU WILL NOT GET ANY MARKS IN 3UNIT FOR USING PHYSICS FORMULAE!!!!!!!!!!1

This topic is entirely based on calculus, and so faliure to use calculus will result in no marks - read the syllabus, it states "using calculus" and im afraid pphysics does not use calculus, and you also need to be able to derive the 3U formulae, aain, not a part of physics.

And, as alrady stated, the physics syllabus specifically states to use physics formulae, so,. if you dont, you are setting yourself up for trouble. Do not leave anything to chance people, just do what the syllabus tells you to, its much safer.

A

abdo

Li0n said:
Would it be ok if i used the 3unit projectile method instead of the physics formulas in the hsc?
why would you? the constant acceleration method is more elegant anyways...

A

abdo

angelduck said:
And, as alrady stated, the physics syllabus specifically states to use physics formulae, so,. if you dont, you are setting yourself up for trouble. Do not leave anything to chance people, just do what the syllabus tells you to, its much safer.
i thought the correct solution with the correct units should warrant full marks. but if you do it wrong then thats another story when you get a physics marker who knows no calculus...

harrys

are not the physics formulae used to analyse projectiles the same formulae you get when u derive the equations of motion using calculus (3u maths), with just a few changes in pronumerals (Vy = V sin@...ect).

i think the 3u maths way provides a much more methodical approach, esp when the projectile is lauched not from ground level.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
And why are we debating this anyway???

The syllabus = GOD, do what it says and you win!!! (i mean, do welll) and therefore,m because it says to use the physics formulae, you use them. You are given them on a data sheet!! They are right in front of you!!! What is the point in not using them?? That is just plain stupid!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Using the ext 1 methods for physics is like using first principles for every differentiation it is pointless and tedious they will not put anything difficult in and would most likely be worth too few marks for the effort put in with ext 1 methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)