• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A degree from What I like, Or what will benefit me? (1 Viewer)

GL1001

HSC
I'm going into Uni soon, and I'm tossing up whether I should choose a degree that would interest me, or a degree that would offer a definite, well paying job.

A well paying job would include a degree from something commerce/law/business related. Although I am sure I could handle the work, I can compare it to the school work I am doing now...I do well in all of my subjects, but some subjects I wake up feeling like "F**K got modern first" and others are more "Sweet, english"

I can't imagine doing a few years of commerce related work only to graduate and find employment in that field...the idea bores me.

In saying that... I dont really have a good idea on what subjects interest me. I've been told what to do and what to study for so long, I haven't actually been able to enjoy it or have time for independent research.

Of course there are subjects I enjoy, over ones I dont. Eg: English, Extension 1 and Chemistry are all prefered over Modern, IPT and Multimedia. I think I only enjoy english and chemistry over the others, as they completely blew my mind. English taught me how to look at things with a deeper meaning, For as long as I can remember, English has been about pushing the right buttons as the teacher asked which would result in a positive score. This year has been more in depth personal thought...Chemistry is similar, Every atom is an individual piece of matter, with millions inside everything... this alone has mindfucked me.

The last bit of independent research I can remember was after I read Bill Bryson's A short history of nearly everything...I enjoyed the book very much and started to read and watch more about science/philosophy/astronomy/richard feynman/etc...

What do you think, should I choose a degree that I will enjoy or one that's certain to give me a definite career?

If you believe one ill enjoy, what would you recommend?

Thanks

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Don't do something that you hate, you'll end up either developing a coke addiction or necking yourself.

GL1001

HSC
Don't do something that you hate, you'll end up either developing a coke addiction or necking yourself.
What if I had a job that I hated but was very well paying and the coke addiction was sustainable?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Just choose to do a degree which you'll enjoy.
3-5 years full-time doing a course you hate would be absolute torture.
If you hate the course then you may probably end up hating the job which you'll eventually get from it. To be honest, that would suck.

HSC
Uni Grad
Just choose to do a degree which you'll enjoy.
3-5 years full-time doing a course you hate would be absolute torture.
If you hate the course then you may probably end up hating the job which you'll eventually get from it. To be honest, that would suck.
Yeh, though you could also look at the courses you believe you will hate in a little bit of depth just to be sure you really don't wanna do them.

In the end you will find it much better doing something you enjoy.

dawdlex3

HSC
I didn't read anything in your post but just the title.
Go with what you like, not what benefits you.

proletariat

HSC

American Beauty - Lester Burnham.

You may want to try out science fields if those are your interests... I was in a similar position to you... once upon a time long long ago and I decided that I cant work in any field except english / science. Currently looking at med / biotech / something like that. If chemistry mindfucked you, you should have done biology, theres adaptation, cellular structure, medical procedures (granted you only read about them) that will do it over and over again... or physics. You can do a tiny module on quarks and its pretty interesting

witide

HSC
I did a year of what I thought would get me a good job, then I dropped out and transferred when I realised it was ridiculously boring.

Bananaberry

HSC
Its common sense really.
Do you want to spend the next 40 or so years in a career doing something that you dont enjoy? Money and prestige is not everything. Getting the most out of your life is.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If you end up doing a job that you like, you'll be better at it, you'll work harder, you won't dread mondays...

I could never work just to earn money. You spend so much time at work in your lifetime, you might as well enjoy it.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
OP, definitely go for something that you like over something that you don't. I did this ( choose physiotherapy over a better paying career, you'd be surprised how shit the money is) and I'm loving it very much, it's something I can actually see myself doing for a long time.

On top of this you will be more inclined to succeed in the career (or course) you enjoy and you just might up earning as much as if you picked the less desirable course. Good luck dude.

spazamataz

HSC
Do both!

I'm doing a double degree in communication and commerce, and if i find one to be boring I can just drop it. Whats even better is some of the commerce subjects overlap so I won't lose credit points, also, some of the subjects will count as electives for the other!

So what I suggest: find a double degree that suits you!

essayvision

HSC
Yes I agree with the above post IF the two degrees can complement each other and won't affect your peformance in either one. The two majors should have synergy so that you won't devote too much time and risk performing bad in those courses.

proletariat

HSC
I think it meant that OP enjoys chemistry?

---

Go for what you enjoy, unless money is the only thing that drives you.
I understood what he meant :p hence the talk about all of those interesting concepts of bio / phys :)

adding onto it,
There are certain degrees that can do both (and take little time at uni). For example (i was talking to my chem teacher about this just the day before), geology, nuclear bio etc.

You do like science right? :p

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You should certainly do something that you'll enjoy. Uni ain't cheap, you'll probably be poor for the time spent during your course, so you might as well be slightly malnourished and happy rather than slightly malnourished for no good reason.

That being said, you don't even HAVE to go to uni, if you don't want to. You could always consider options outside of it. Good luck with it.

dvse

HSC
N/A
Double degree is a great way to do both... Don't worry about an extra year or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)