• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A few questions... (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
1. Why did you choose to study law? It was either law or teaching. I had wanted to do law ever since I started legal studies. Law underpins the organisation of society so understanding law goes a long way ultimate understanding of the way things are (If you are willing to be more than an automaton). It also complemented previous interests in humanities and social sciences.

2. What do you most enjoy about studying law at uni? The intellectual and organizational challenge. Having to force yourself to be disciplined when reading.

3. What do you find most unenjoyable about studying law? Snobs, unrealistic word limits, bad teachers, automaton law students, poorly thought out assessment tasks, random marking, people who hide books in the library and fatigue.

4. What did you combine with law, and what were you reasons for doing so? Arts because I think it provides the broad based knowledge that assists in the broader understanding of law. Arts can change you as a person by providing a broader understanding of the world. The ability to understand the context in which you exist surely is a good thing. In particular history and political science!

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?) Law…somewhere…hopefully. So far I've enjoyed property, criminal law, torts and Public. Didn't like contracts...tedious or admin.

6. Is there, in your opinion, a correlation between success in HSC legal studies and law at uni? Why/why not? Depends. Some people who do well at the HSC do well at uni and some do not. Uni is less spoonfeedy. It's up to the individual.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
1. Why did you choose to study law?

I think I was set on studying law for a long time. I'm just so fascinated by the whole scene.

2. What do you most enjoy about studying law at uni?

Interesting cases, doing placements (only shitty part is you don't get paid), the practical stuff (being assessed by a real judge in a real court room!) court observations (and actually understanding what they're arguing about on a voir dire!) and of course impressing people when they ask what you're doing at uni!

3. What do you find most unenjoyable about studying law?

The assignments for sure. I would enjoy studying law so much more if I wasn't continually burdened with an assignment due every other week. Can't say the readings are that unenjoyable because I only ever do the bare minimum to get by hehehe

4. What did you combine with law, and what were you reasons for doing so?

Nothing :D! I am now doing a straight LLB but when I started I chose arts because it was the only other degree I was slightly interested in. If I still had to do combined law and had my time again I would probably pick something sciency, just because at times I found myself craving something totally different to law.

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?)

Really interested in family law, but would very much like to work my way up the ranks of legal aid. Don't really fancy being a corporate lawyer, much to drab. Other than that I wouldn't mind being a criminal law solicitor.

6. Is there, in your opinion, a correlation between success in HSC legal studies and law at uni? Why/why not?

I came in the top 30 in the state for legal in 2003 and absolutely killed my first semester at law (all the foundation stuff that you learn in the HSC) but once it got onto substantive areas of law (like contracts and stuff) I was just your average joe schmo...sometimes get good marks, but often only just pass (which admittedly probably has a lot to do with my laziness hehe).

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

After taking a business law elective (Contract Law) in my initial degree, I found both that I loved it and that I was good at it. It was challenging and useful, but it also really is the backbone of society - everything revolves around law. Moreover, I have enjoyed argument and English all my life - so when I found out what law was like, it fit naturally.

There are many things. Being around intelligent people is pleasurable, for starters. Law pushes you and it's immensely interesting. I also like critically reading judgments and going through the judges' reasoning. And mooting is great too!

Nothing much really, I love law. I suppose occasionally there can be arbitrariness in the marking. One or two of the textbooks are somewhat unhelpful too.

Arts. The subjects offered are in tune with my interests (Philosophy, English, Psychology). Additionally, I did not want to do anything that involved any maths (eg. Commerce, etc).

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?)

Probably doing a masters, then going on to work as a solicitor for around 5-7 years before moving to the bar. Then working my way up to become a SC. Then if I'm talented enough and still interested when I'm 50+, perhaps become a Supreme Court judge. As to what field, probably commercial. Commercial contracts/property, etc. Some IP too.

6. Is there, in your opinion, a correlation between success in HSC legal studies and law at uni? Why/why not?

No. Apart from the first introductory law subject HSC Legal Studies is pretty much irrelevant to what you study in law.

Last edited:

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC

Dad is a barrister, have always watched his career progress with interest. Have been promised his room on Wentworth 5 if I eventually move to the bar and he either retires or goes to the bench. Despite this, when I first left school I had quite different aspirations of becoming a journalist. This dream was pretty much crushed in the first weeks of my Journalism course when I realised how bullshit the course was. I had always been interested in law, had a family history of it and had also started working at Macquarie Bank which led me to discover a previously latent interest in commerce.

I find it very rewarding to understand the way Australian society functions. I also enjoy reading the brilliant legal reasoning of great judges, it really inspires me.

Boring teachers. Fellow students who have no interest in the coursework and lament that it is a whole lot of work just to earn a decent salary.

Commerce. As yet I am unsure of whether I want to go into practice or get into investment banking. I am interested in areas such as mergers and acquisitions and regulations of securities markets. Basically if you mix appropriate law electives with a good commerce major you can attain a very solid understanding of the corporate world. I am also interested in personal investment/entrepreneurship and believe that the commerce major would aid this.

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?

Wouldn't mind doing the ASIC graduate program or else work in the banking/finance sector of a solicitor's firm. Then either migrate to the bar after a few years as a solicitor or become a merchant banker.

I come from a school which does not teach the subject and yet has had the most HCA Justices of any other school. I'm sure it would aid slightly in the foundations subjects but after that everyone would be on a level playing field.

HSC

Because after eliminated all the other options at Uni, it was one which I didn't hate. Plus I'm a nerd, and like learning and being challenged.

The people and the information is really interesting, if you forget about the workload...

Studying the actual information and feeling stressed before exams. The people who are doing law for the sake of doing law.

Arts (communications). Because I wanted to be a rebellious Asian. ;)

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?

Enterin the legal field, in some shape or form. Not too sure what, exactly, yet.

Don't think so. I only started law this semester, but the only head start the legal people had havebeen in some little minute details which you can work out yourself anyway, or through reading the textbook. But its not like you necessarily get HDs if you did legal.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
how is good ol' UTS charlie? did u enjoy LPH with Rob?

HSC
UTS law is very cool. :D even though Rob can get a bit tangential in his lectures...But I've finished all my lectures now!!! So no more Rob, except for the review lecture.

Is UNSW law that much better? ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
charlie_charlie said:
UTS law is very cool. :D even though Rob can get a bit tangential in his lectures...But I've finished all my lectures now!!! So no more Rob, except for the review lecture.

Is UNSW law that much better? ;)
well that's hard to say, coz i haven't taken any substantive law subjects at UTS.

however, comparing my 'guest' attendance at one UTS torts class and my own torts class, i would say the style of teaching between Vega and Annette is very different. but, of course, the demands of the syllabuses are different also (UTS is more focussed on all the torts, whereas UNSW concentrates on negligence).

my answer, then, is that it is inconclusive.

more asian chix though, definitely. ;)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
On that point about torts, I did it last semester and was told that we'd need a whole year totally dedicated to torts to learn them all....so we just learnt the basic trespass to the person and property, and then concentrated on negligence.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Frigid said:
well that's hard to say, coz i haven't taken any substantive law subjects at UTS.

however, comparing my 'guest' attendance at one UTS torts class and my own torts class, i would say the style of teaching between Vega and Annette is very different. but, of course, the demands of the syllabuses are different also (UTS is more focussed on all the torts, whereas UNSW concentrates on negligence).

my answer, then, is that it is inconclusive.

more asian chix though, definitely. ;)
I thought you said before that unsw law seemed harder?

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Oh yay! An old thread resurrected!

It was always something I wanted to do and not to do it seemed unnatural to me - I like the sound of my own voice, I don't get bored easily, I enjoy procedural pedantry and I like playing dress-ups. Law was the obvious choice.

The reading.

Dealing with some of the plastics/morons in the course.

Arts. Again, it was instinctive. But, over the years my committment to the arts faculty has grown. I now see my arts degree as my little stand for learning for the sake of learning - i.e. knowledge as an end in itself, without the need to justify it to some vocational purpose. That some people call it 'unemployable' I see as a badge of honour.

Oooo I want to go to the bar. I would love to dirty my hands in defamation ... but my precise practise areas are still up in the air a bit. However, I will NOT do: criminal or family.

No. Legal studies is so superficial in content and in no way prepares students for the cognitive and processes exposition skills required for success in law.

This has been fun. Let's do it again sometime,
MC xoxox :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
I thought you said before that unsw law seemed harder?
harder necessarily =/= better.

it just means more self-study than spoon-feeding.

and personally, being a food-lover, i prefer spoon-feeding. :D

edit: to me, the Law is a bad-ass Santa who punishes the Naughty and protects the Nice.

double-edit: i didn't get into Advanced Contracts for summer - too many applications, older ppl get priority... :(

on the plus side, i got elected onto law society exec :D

Last edited:

ManlyChief

HSC
Frigid said:

on the plus side, i got elected onto law society exec :D
congrats snaps to you ... but don't get me started on law societies - we had our AGM lesterday - 4hrs - good turn up, but such heated debate on the affirmative action motions, tears all round ... geez law students can talk crap till the cows come home ... :)

i love our law society, i really do, but they spend so much money - Jul 04-Jun 05 expenses: $237,186.85! They still made a profit, but, OshKoshB'Gosh that's a lot of money to spend, isn't it? That's like 100 return airfares to Vancouver on Air Canada!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm it's not often I participate in these things, but hey, why not.

I went through the UAC guide and struck out every degree which I thought looked boring or thought that I wouldn't enjoy for some other reason. Law was the only one left.

Problem solving. I love finding ways to do things - whether it's looking for (or creating) loopholes in legislation, 'reinterpreting' facts so that they assist with your case rather than hinder, or devising legal arguments that are novel and creative and yet have the appearance of being within the bounds of precedent.

Being spoonfed. I hate just being told the answer to every question. I hate memorisation. I hate the fact that the vast majority of students seem incapable of any sort of independent thought, and that most lecturers have adapted their teaching methods accordingly rather than encouraged change. (I should point out that some lecturers - the best ones, in my opinion - still provoke students' thoughts.)

Computer science. It was either that or psychology. I'd narrowed my science major down to those two purely on the basis of interest/enjoyment. Law was a bit of a gamble initially, wasn't sure whether I'd develop a passion for it, so I needed something I knew I'd be guaranteed to enjoy thrown into the mix. (And I chose science because I wanted something different to balance the law component.) I decided that if I got into law at UNSW I'd do comp sci and if I got into law at USYD I'd do psych. And that was that.

Still undecided. For a long time I had no intention of practising. Recent events (Gibbs moot, comments made by judges, etc) have forced me to reconsider that, but as yet I don't know. If I don't practise, who knows.

I never did legal studies. Technically speaking, there is a positive correlation between success in any HSC course and success at university (that's why the UAI is used for admission purposes). I don't think doing well in legal studies necessarily means that you're going to be fantastic at law though. But it might give you an idea as to whether you'd enjoy it.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
One of the first things we were asked in our very first law tute was: "Who here did legal studies?". A few of us put up our hands. She then said "Well, thats nice, but dont go thinking that because you did legal studies you'll succeed in law. Legal studies is a very superficial look at the law - they only focus on the more interesting areas - so its always interesting to note who sticks with law, and who drops it because they find it too boring and dry".

That said, I do think legal studies was beneficial as it gives you a good (basic) understanding of court structure, the difference between mens rea and actus reus, and other random tidbits like that that other students dont know about.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ thats what my teacher said to me, even for mock trial he'd have to get out his uni tbs to help us understand a lot of the concepts *like strict liability offences etc* so that we could understand them properly. I figure it wont help a lot (you''l probably cover a lot of it in the first topic right???)but it cant hurt

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
That said, I do think legal studies was beneficial as it gives you a good (basic) understanding of court structure, the difference between mens rea and actus reus, and other random tidbits like that that other students dont know about.
of course, it must be noted that such a benefit would only be of advantage for about 2 weeks in an undergraduate law degree, at most. :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Frigid said:
of course, it must be noted that such a benefit would only be of advantage for about 2 weeks in an undergraduate law degree, at most. :)
Yes, thats very true. It was my (failed) attempt at trying to justify the study of legal studies :p

ManlyChief

HSC
melsc said:
^ thats what my teacher said to me, even for mock trial he'd have to get out his uni tbs to help us understand a lot of the concepts *like strict liability offences etc* so that we could understand them properly. I figure it wont help a lot (you''l probably cover a lot of it in the first topic right???)but it cant hurt
ooo.... only 4 days left for you - yay! :)

The problem with legal studies is that it really dosen't deal with one area of the law in any great depth - i.e. while there is stuff in it from a wide variety of areas, it just skims the top off ... I think the whole court heirarchy and layout thingamegig was good to learn, so too were general milestones in the development of the law ... but I alsmost faint when I think of how dumbed down LS contracts (in consumers option) was! :O

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
oh btw I just realised I said it cant hurt to take legal...the only way it can is when ur book tells you it is the defences job to "prove the case BARD"...I think they mean "raise doubt" LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)