• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Aboriginal children in care now exceeds stolen generations (4 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
katie tully said:
Write her a letter.

Do you think it'll make any difference?
I do, I'm sick of the war on symbolism Australians seem to have at the moment. Symbols matter.

boris

Banned
HSC
Lentern said:
Oh dear lord. You cannot honestly be so convinced of your own rhetoric to think the status quo is self induced and that the government as institution who proffitted off their slave labour and who profitted from their stolen land does not owe the communities support, tolerance and apology in order for them to effectively recover.
Abos were used for slave labour?

And no, i dont believe that they are owed welfare that doesn't encourage them to better themselves. Sure support, tolerance and a fucking apology. They have these things already? So why are they not getting better? Why does it seem that they are getting worse?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Riet said:
By the same logic we should excuse the Jews of genocide and ethnic cleansing and setting up death camps...

OH WAIT THAT'S WHAT ISRAEL DOES LOL

Lentern

HSC
boris said:

And no, i dont believe that they are owed welfare that doesn't encourage them to better themselves. Sure support, tolerance and a fucking apology. They have these things already? So why are they not getting better? Why does it seem that they are getting worse?
Ofcourse they were treated as slaves, one of the biggest contributers to the increasingly hard life of farmers is that they can no longer use indigenous labour like they used to creating an imbalance in what people expect to pay for the produce and what it costs to produce them.

Reconciliation started at best in 1972, you aren't going to see them buck off 200 years abuse overnight. I think if you looked at the median education and income of indigenous persons today compared to 1972 you would see a substantial improvement.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
one of the biggest contributers to the increasingly hard life of farmers is that they can no longer use indigenous labour like they used to creating an imbalance in what people expect to pay for the produce and what it costs to produce them.
fucking lol, you didnt just say that

hpdanemma

HSC
The thing is the government don't really know how to treat the Aboriginal community. Some want to integrate into white Australian society, others want to stay true to their traditional ties and [most] others are caught somewhere in the middle, not knowing what they want due to their upbringing and treatment. So they take the governments money and do shit with it. The thing is, this in itself is not just an Aboriginal issue, I know plenty of "doll bludgers" and they are like that because of their upbringing and lack of education. It just so happens that the majority of the Aboriginal community suffer from this kind of background due to many societal and cultural influences.
It is DEFINITELY not just the stolen generations, but the way some may see it is that if white civilisation hadn't invaded they would live in a community where they are welcome and equal, and where their values are clear and important. Obviously, this isn't how it is. Fundamentally I think it's up to society as a whole to promote tolerance and acceptance and just accept the fact that nothing will be solved overnight.
Women are still underpriveledged, even if it may not be evident to some people. Just look at the workplace hierachy and where gender fits in. And women share the same history, values and cultural acceptance as men, their transition from suppression to equality will always be smoother than that for Aboriginals.
My point is that this struggle towards acceptance of ANY group is a long one, and there is very little we as individuals can do, or are willing to do. However derogatory comments and accusations towards the Aboriginal community will NEVER help achieve anything except more segredation and discrimination.
I don't know HOW to solve this issue, but I have an idea how to not solve it. ;) If that makes sense?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, i'd agree that improvements in farming efficiency have been bad for Aboriginals. Without the economic basis for many remote Aboriginal communities, this cultural defeat and victim mentality become hard to avoid

Lentern

HSC
katie tully said:
fucking lol, you didnt just say that
I'm not suggesting farmers are lazy or heartless or anything derogative, simply that fifty years ago there was labour from indigenous Australians that cost next to nothing. There was a balance between what buyers would pay for the produce and what farmers were needing in order to make it. When labour steadilly got more expensive with indigenous liberation the cost of operating the farms would have gotten higher and the buyers were probably not very interested in hearing excuses. You're not about to tell me that the inability to use indigenous Australian cheap labour at places like the wave hill cattle station made it easier to turn a profit?

Edit, calling it one of the biggest causes may have been overkill but it was certainly considerable.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
Yeah, i'd agree that improvements in farming efficiency have been bad for Aboriginals. Without the economic basis for many remote Aboriginal communities, this cultural defeat and victim mentality become hard to avoid
Oh come now you surely didn't expect that to work on me did you?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol Lentern. You have the same clumsy, overblown rhetoric I myself had before university. A mixture of several male role models and a vague attempt to mimic their style without much of the substance. One is gratified by your arduous gas-baggery in terms of the aforementioned commentary

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
lol Lentern. You have the same clumsy, overblown rhetoric I myself had before university. A mixture of several male role models and a vague attempt to mimic their style without much of the substance. One is gratified by your arduous gas-baggery in terms of the aforementioned commentary
Aww shucks!

Actually you have hit far too close to him for comfort. Did you too dazzle many a peer then speak to an adult intellectual only for them to raise an amused but hardly impressed eyebrow at you ? I would probably describe my biggest role models (when it comes to speech style) as Peter Roebuck, David Marr and Sir Humphrey Appleby.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
boris said:

Lmao I agree, Abos were never used as slaves. Look at them now, leeching our tax money, and even in America, African Americans do not get the benefits that Aboriginals do here, and African Americans went through more than Aboriginals.

Lentern

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Lmao I agree, Abos were never used as slaves. Look at them now, leeching our tax money, and even in America, African Americans do not get the benefits that Aboriginals do here, and African Americans went through more than Aboriginals.
What would you call forced labour in substandard conditions for little or no pay?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lentern said:
Aww shucks!

Actually you have hit far too close to him for comfort. Did you too dazzle many a peer then speak to an adult intellectual only for them to raise an amused but hardly impressed eyebrow at you ? I would probably describe my biggest role models (when it comes to speech style) as Peter Roebuck, David Marr and Sir Humphrey Appleby.
Oh, you know, just getting on with teachers a bit too much and thinking that Dad had a lot of endless, infalliable magic. But then you meet clever young people at uni, quickly learn the virtues of simple English for communicating ideas in essays, and have scores of she-devil girlfriends who hack away at your heart. All these things helped me narrow the gap between an inkling towards bombastic/arcaic styles and the most efficient way to communicate

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
Oh, you know, just getting on with teachers a bit too much and thinking that Dad had a lot of endless, infalliable magic. But then you meet clever young people at uni, quickly learn the virtues of simple English for communicating ideas in essays, and have scores of she-devil girlfriends who hack away at your heart. All these things helped me narrow the gap between an inkling towards bombastic/arcaic styles and the most efficient way to communicate
Surely it's hard to let go of? After I discovered the pluralization issue of agenda and agendum and spoke to my ancient history teacher about it who was a wordsmith he said something to the effect of"You're right in that "an agenda" is probably wrong, but in the common vernacular it's probably ok to treat it as a collective noun. With that being said, I doubt you have any interest in speaking the common vernacular." The man understood me, surely you cherished your words?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na, when you have a tight word count for a massive topic, and important, impatient people reading your work, you let go of the waffle pretty fast and learn to cut to the issue asap. Intellectual thrust>foggy forgotten phrases. It's actually more satisfying having a totally efficient document that hasnt wasted any ink. You see your results as profit. Less words + more quality = >marks

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Yeh I do engineering. You can waffle on as much as you want but the professor will just be like "prove it."

X

xeuyrawp

Riet said:
Yeh I do engineering. You can waffle on as much as you want but the professor will just be like "prove it."
That's pretty much any decent lecturer. Outside of something shit like cultural studies, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)