• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Accelerating? (1 Viewer)

doggogo8

HSC
I was wondering how do you acclerate in one subject? Anyone has any idea, and if the school doesn't allow it (due to trouble with the timetable), what should i do?
Oh, anyone here has experience or wether this has been post before please tell me, thanks.

Trev

stix
HSC
doggogo8 said:
I was wondering how do you acclerate in one subject? Anyone has any idea, and if the school doesn't allow it (due to trouble with the timetable), what should i do?
Oh, anyone here has experience or wether this has been post before please tell me, thanks.
i hope you dont intend on accelerating in english! :uhhuh:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
What happened with me when i accelerated in 3 unit maths, they gave us extra "offline" classes so that we were learning parallel to the mainstream year 12s. Our maths was still timetabled for year 11 mainstream, as the year 12's allocation was at a different time.

doggogo8

HSC
kimmeh said:
What happened with me when i accelerated in 3 unit maths, they gave us extra "offline" classes so that we were learning parallel to the mainstream year 12s. Our maths was still timetabled for year 11 mainstream, as the year 12's allocation was at a different time.
How does it work? An d can evry school do so?

prosaic

HSC
You'd normally be invited by a subject co-ordinator to accelerate if you're good enough. Generally only private schools and certain selectives eg Ruse, SBHS allow ppl to accelerte in hoards.

You could try to approach the talented students co-ordinator at your school or the subject co-ordinator in charge of the subject you want to accelerate though success may not be guaranteed as schools have many reasons usually as to why they don't want to accelerate ppl.

Alternatively, you could begin studying a LOTE that is not offered at your school at the Open High, and somehow accelerate through this scheme.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I (our entire class) got accelerated in 2u Maths and what happened was during our maths periods we had to both learn the normal maths work and the special work. It's tough, there's no doubt about it. We got invited. I don't think there's any other way except learning by yourself and enroll yourself? I dunno.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Trev said:
i hope you dont intend on accelerating in english! :uhhuh:
uhh, there's nothing wrong with accelerating in english. that said, i also fucked around and didn't get the marks i wanted and am now doing 2u of it again.

there will pretty much always be trouble with timetables re:acceleration. this yr, i basically didn't get to go to modern history or legal studies because it clashed with my hsc classes; last year i missed drama/french and i think history. you can def. deal with it, but it is a pain in the ass and you need to be disciplined (i am not). maybe sit down with whoever's in charge and try and arrange something? like i had a specific period where i went to modern instead of english so i could show my teacher where i was at, speak to her about problems i was having.

acceleration is great...having to do it again is not so great. be careful that you don't get complacent because you can 'always do it again'

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah, i was accelrated in maths and we just had our maths classes timetabled in since year 8, and did the whole thing a year early, not that much extra work cause in year 8 u dont do anythin anyway

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
If you want to accelerate in maths, get your teacher to start early e.g. year 9 so you can get your SC outta the way and then 2u/3u prelim in year 10 or whatever. Youd normally have to complete the necessary hours for the course by having extra classes (lunchtime, after and before school). It would help if you had alot of people in your grade who were keen to accelerate since i doubt any teacher would be willing to give up their time for just one student.

Trev

stix
HSC
doggogo8 said:
why? :!? is english that tough
because your english from your first post was crap lol, im not saying that accelerating in english is hard - i wouldnt kno - i didnt accelerate in anything tho i wish i did in ipt!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ His English is fine. He's just psting like most people do.

But yes, start early.

doggogo8

HSC
Slide Rule said:
^ His English is fine. He's just psting like most people do.

But yes, start early.

HEY HEY, i'm not that bad am i :mad:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I did accelerated science in yr 10.. our whole class had 'smart' kids so our techer decided to put us through acceleration and we were doing yr11 chem bio physics.. a bit of tehm all in yr 10.. Its very tough and challenging, but If you do the work you get the results. I didnt get the results I hoped for and so regret doing the accelerate course but yeah....

Captain pi

HSC
I accelerated in Mathematics. I basically asked if I could, and the maths coordinator obliged. There were some logistical problems, but I got by doing about 4 periods a week. If the school is concerned about you missing classes, ask for a compromise (i.e. missing out on some periods of different classes). If you are talented student, they should recognize that you are capable of attending fewer classes than the rest of the school. If they fail to recognize this, remind them!

I did the Year 9 Adv. Mathematics course in the Christmas holidays. I would recommend people skip the Year 8 course AND the Year 9 course if you achieved first in your Year 7 mathematics class and like the subject: those years are very easy if you are keen.

Accelerating in courses is a necessary requirement for eligibility in the HSC Distinction courses (Philosophy, Cosmology, Comparative Literature) which pay enormous dividends.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Yeh, i accelerated in 4U English, and if you put the hours in, it is fine. It takes a lot of work, but i was fairly happy--just got screwed by my teacher in 4U--bloody board gave me 49 and my teacher gave 45 so i ended up with 47 (grrrr)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
doggogo8 said:
HEY HEY, i'm not that bad am i :mad:
I find it funny that you target that at the one post which supports you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)