• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Acceleration of HSC subjects (1 Viewer)

dpospination

HSC
im doing my prelim courses this year (im in year 11 this year), but will be accelerating in Maths- my skool offers it. basically, we do all the prelim course and the hsc course this year, and then next year we will do 3U maths. but ill probably re do the hsc for 2U maths as well again next year (year 12) so hopefully i can boost my mark

jet

Banned
HSC
YEah its not offered at my school. My maths teacher sprouted it one day and then she spoke to the curriculum coordinator who spoke to me. This was halfway through year 10. I started 2 3 and 4 unit and [apparently] and topping all of them. Its really good if you do well but no point if you suck. Class was a bit weird. I had to see the teacher for 2/3 unit during his year 12 class and i do 4 unit at 730 2 days a week. I dont find it tiring and im really satisfied.

yosemite sam

HSC
I did accelerated SoRII in year 10/11 and our school now offers that and 3u maths accelerated (but not this year, year 10 are too dumb).
They do year 11 in year 10, year 12 in year 11 to meet the hour requirements. I think that would be a pretty big issue if youre trying to do both years in one and would probly mean that your other subjects would suffer because you'd have to spend more time on maths than anything else.
Which wouldnt be a very good thing for you especially doing sciences, since your preliminary knowledge is really important for your HSC year.
IMHO you'd be putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself. Not worth it.

Poad

HSC
I did 2U Accelerated starting only in Yr 11, and I actually found it quite easy (my Yr 10 mark was something like 85%, and ended up getting 95 for my HSC).

In the christmas holidays between Yr 10 and Yr 11 we had to do 90% of the Prelim course by ourselves, and its really all straightfoward. By week 4 of term 1 we did our first assessment task with the year 12's, except they had to omit series and sequences from that exam since we werent up to that yet. But soon after we caught up and pretty much finished the course way before them.

I only wish I had the opportunity to accelerate from Yr 10, then maybe I would've had the chance to knock off my 3U HSC.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
My grade has students accelerating in Maths 3U, Languages and Textiles. There could be others but this is all I know.
For Maths, we were told at the end of year 8 first semester when we were picking our second semester subjects. The teachers for Advanced Maths chose students from there class by test results. In second semester year 8 we started work from year 9 first semester. In year 9 first semester we finished the year 9 work. In year 9 second semester we did all the year 10 work and did our SC. In year 10 we were put in a normal year 11 class for Maths 3U.
When we accelerate for Maths, most of the time it is just our one group. We had one unit in year 9 where we were put with the rest of the grade but the rest were just us.
I think for Languages and Textiles it is not as complicated to accelerate so there aren't as many students in it. I think they can just do it because there aren't really prerequisites for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)