• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Adjusting guitar action - how much should it cost? (1 Viewer)

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
How much should the cost be to get the action of a guitar adjusted? It'll include changing all the strings as well so factor that into account. I'm thinking the guitar has a truss rod problem and the saddle could use adjusting.

I wanna take it to a guitar repair shop but I have no idea how much it should cost. $50 - $65 range? Don't wanna get fleeced.

It's an acoustic guitar btw. Any ideas?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Personally, I don't know, but I'm bumping this thread, because my guitar has a similiar problem.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
what is wrong with the action? too high? or is this a tuning issue? if it is too high then personally i'd just shave down the bridge myself and get lower gauge strings. so really you'd only be spending minimum $15? if it is a tuning thing check first with your tuning pegs. they might be loosening so all you really need to do is give it a good rescrew.

though if it does come down to someone doing it for you, i'd say it'd be $10 for some guy to change your strings, $15-$30 for a new set, and maybe another $10-$20 to fix truss rod/bridge issues.

btw is this for an electric/steel acoustic/nylon/archtop/gypsy jazz guitar?

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Mine is a steel acoustic guitar.

Definitely not a tuning issue the tuners stay in place.
It's a guitar I just got off eBay. 120AUD Art & Lutherie handmade cedar top. Beautiful thing. The moment I got a hold of it I knew why they were selling it. Unplayable. Way too high. Place a finger on a 5th fret and the adjacent strings are half an inch higher. Looks like a truss rod problem (which I don't want to touch).

Btw, I'm going in to this shop that said $20 for the fix. $20 for strings and change. Sounds like a reasonable price. Mind you I called one that quoted $60.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you don't learn to change the strings yourself you're going to find yourself shelling out a lot of money pretty fast.

HSC
mine is the same, if i hold down a string the other ones sit probably a good half inch above, it's impossible to play. idk if i can be fucked getting it fixed, might just sell it on ebay (with the disclaimer that the action is fucked) and buy something better when my tax return rolls around or some shit

edit @ justin i don't think it's really a matter of not knowing how to change strings, so much as that in order to fix the bridge problem they have to take off the strings, therefore you're going to have to pay them for a new set either way. i'm pretty sure leaving a guitar without strings for a given amount of time to take it home and restring it yourself is only going to compound any neck straightness problems it has

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)