• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ALP Education Policy [regarding funding to independant and non-independant schools] (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Refer back to my 'commie' post... We have already walked this path.

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
Refer back to my 'commie' post... We have already walked this path.

i'm still curious as to your definition of "all"

oh, and i checked the 'commie' posts. it does nothing to answer the query. for someone who is making such sweeping almighty comments, you sure avoid supporting them.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
That answers the question... A funding model that takes note of government contributions and the fees paid by parents is one that is fairer for each and every student at each and every school. As I said earlier, I cannot see any reason for government funding to propel a school above another.

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
That answers the question... A funding model that takes note of government contributions and the fees paid by parents is one that is fairer for each and every student at each and every school. As I said earlier, I cannot see any reason for government funding to propel a school above another.

ok, here's the deal. you can't argue both sides. You can't say that an independent school doesn't provide a higher level of opportunity and fascilities THEN argue that because a school has a higher level of services it doesn't deserve funding.

here's a tip. public funding PAID FOR BY THE PARENTS AT THE SCHOOL THROUGH THE CONSIDERABLY HIGHER TAX THAT THEY PAY doesn't propel the school to a higher standard, DONATIONS by PARENTS who wish to see their children with the best education possible do this.

Generator

HSC
N/A
We aren't on the same wavelength.
I have no problems with parental donations pushing a school above another, I only have a problem with the idea that the government should facilitate this through providing a certain amount per student without considering the fees paid by the parents.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
**In posh voice** Oh, were going for a service at the Barker College War Memorial after we walk through the Mint Gates, then were going to go to the 84 seat cinema to watch the films the children made in the 3 media production suites in the Seniors Library. Then were going to go to the IT centre.

They have a bloody pool for christ sake, the grass on our oval has nearly turned to dirt.

Barker Website said:
Barker boasts extensive sporting fields including six football and cricket fields, together with tennis and basketball courts, an artificial surface for hockey, soccer, netball, athletics, basketball, volleyball and other games. It also has a large gymnasium, fully equipped with weights and resistance training equipment, as well as the adjoining indoor Aquatic Centre.
$15,906 for 3 terms...I think they can afford a little bit more. Or even worse they can send their children to a school which only charges $10,000 **shock horror**. Maybe they could send there kids to a public school **heart attack**.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A

twiddla

Knox ran out of space to have i think it was their 7th oval so they bought a piece of land in the next suburb converted it into 2 fully drained top quality rugby fields and bus the juniors down to training there every arvo!!

twiddla

If any of you have been to North Sydney Boys you will understand why we want more funding - go have a look at our C-block. IT IS BAD! btw we have never had any thing other than labs, and english, maths and humanities classrooms and a gym purpose built for anything - not for IT, art, music, drama not one. We have one piece of grass and 2 dirt areas - said enough (the only reason there is still a grass area is cos no one is allowed to play on it yet cos it is new after we waited for refurbishments for close on 15 years). Our grounds are about the a quater the size of normo's pictured above for the same no. of students!! We had an oval (tunks park) that we gifted to the council on the condition that we use it free of charge and for some reason they have forgotten that arrangement and now charge us i think it is $200 a match to play there

Last edited by a moderator:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
in some ways your school has better facilties...

my OLD schoOl is on the NORTH SHORE...safe liberal seats...surrounded by private schools
How? What didn't your school have that ours does?

twiddla

Having visited your school asqy i know it is about as bad in facilties as mine is

ellymelly

HSC
Asquithian said:
correct...the parents that send their children to these schools when they dont have enough money should not waste it on high school education...largly misinformed about the benefits of a private school or they just want bragging right...and yes ive seen it at the local tennis club 'oh my son goes to barker. Its such a good school...where does your daughter go? Oh Abbortleigh thats a good school!'

Finding out that their daughters were playing tennis with an asquith boy rendered me not human...ie prudence dont talk to him (inferences - he could be a drug dealer...cos you know only drug dealers go to public schools! )

Most financial planners will tell you that that money is better saved and spent on university. Getting the child into the course they want...money spent on tertiary education us much better...

It's ABBOTSLEIGH

parents who send their children there don't see it as a waste of money, they see it as giving their children the best possible opportunity for education, is it so hard to believe that a parent would sacrifice so much for their child?

Last edited:

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
We aren't on the same wavelength.
I have no problems with parental donations pushing a school above another, I only have a problem with the idea that the government should facilitate this through providing a certain amount per student without considering the fees paid by the parents.

They do, hence there is a list of schools, with funding decreasing as you go up the list.

Also, you may have noticed the difference in the amount of funding per student between public and private students. Anyone notice how much higher public is?

That's got to be one of the least thought out comments you have spurted out so far/

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
a two level library :)

seating for students outside
The two level library is gone...like I said, the pictures are from the early 1990's...its changed very much since the photos where taken...in fact, barely any of it is the same.

ellymelly

HSC
Not to burst Generator's bubble or anything, but if the huge increase in Independent schools fees forces the predicted 11 thousand or so students into the public system, it would collapse. it is a fact that without the independent schools taking pressure of the public education system, the public system would collapse, even with increased funding. I hate to be the one to break it to you but you actually need independent schools, not just to exist but to be affordable.
working against them is working against yourselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)