• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Also Help With UAI/HSC (1 Viewer)

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Hellos there,

I'm currently in a state of distress over my future UAI, so I was just wondering whether anyone could help me figure out the rankings I need for Arts/Law at USyd (99.55) or at UNSW (99.2) *
*I checked a month or so ago and it was 99.35. It's 99.35 in the UAC book too, does anyone know which one it actually is?

English Advanced /169

English Ext. 1 /130

Mathematics /169

Mathematics Ext. 1 /157

Agriculture (HSC currently) /61

Chemistry /152

Modern History /19

Visual Arts /9

I most probably won't count my Agriculture unless I do unexpectedly well, and I'm thinking of doing maybe History Extension or English Ext. 2 next year? Unfortunately, my strengths do not lie in Maths. Shame.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
phosphorescent said:
Hellos there,

I'm currently in a state of distress over my future UAI, so I was just wondering whether anyone could help me figure out the rankings I need for Arts/Law at USyd (99.55) or at UNSW (99.2) *
*I checked a month or so ago and it was 99.35. It's 99.35 in the UAC book too, does anyone know which one it actually is?

English Advanced /169

English Ext. 1 /130

Mathematics /169

Mathematics Ext. 1 /157

Chemistry /152

Modern History /19

Visual Arts /9

I most probably won't count my Agriculture unless I do unexpectedly well, and I'm thinking of doing maybe History Extension or English Ext. 2 next year? Unfortunately, my strengths do not lie in Maths. Shame.
Oh hello, rusian :)

(Agriculture and large chemistry cohort gave it away)

For combined law it's definitely 99.30 at UNSW, which is the most recent uai cut-off. I've been told it will rise though (not sure where you got the 99.35, but i can check that on sunday).

Out of your subjects, agriculture will almost certainly not count (even the people who topped the state in ag in the last 3 years at ruse, didn't count it towards their uai because it is 'capped'). And depending on if you are taking extension two english or history extension next year, you'll probably need to look at the following preliminary rankings. These only provide an indicator of the ranks you need to achieve in the HSC, as cohort sizes change drastically.

English Advanced 80/169 (normally the top half score band 6)

English Ext. 1 60/130 (by the way the cohort drops to about 80 in year 12 if i recall correctly, as many instead switch to do extension two maths :))

Mathematics 60/169 (again this drops to about 80 in year 12, see above)

Mathematics Ext. 1 60/157 (about 150 do this in year 12 - stays pretty constant)

Agriculture (HSC currently) don't worry about this/61 (though if you score a band 6 here, you can count it towards premier's award when you finish your HSC)

Chemistry 60/152

Modern History 3+/19

Visual Arts 1?/9

In Modern History, generally less than 5 score in the band 6 range (your cohort will also drop to 10-12 by year 12) and even coming 3rd may mean you score a low band 6. This may put a 99.3 UAI out of range.

I'm not too sure about Visual Arts because neither the 06 or 07 cohort (and i think 08 as well) did this. You have a very artistic grade :eek: If you can score a top ranking though, it basically means the highest mark scored in the external exams (which would likely be yours) is also your internal mark - ie you don't let the variation in your classmate's marks affect you. Small cohorts are always the hardest to predict but can lead to very pleasant surprises when the results come out.

If you score an average of 92 (or 46 for your extension subjects) across at least 10 units then a 99.3 UAI is within reach. 99.55 will probably need at least 5 units of 93 and the other half 92. Check this on SAM, however again the uai fluctates by about +/- 0.2 each year for different marks and because you are aiming for a very specific uai increment above 99, then it may be best to just speak to Wearne after your HSC trials :)

Focus on your preliminaries now, and basking in the reflective glory of La Périchole :shy:

Arts / Law is a very admirable aim, and hopefully you may make it into UNSW in 2 years time :shy::shy: It is unfortunate your strengths don't lie in maths (i was like you in HS!) as ruse performs incredibly well in the subject, but you must not let your fixation with the concept of a UAI deter you from reaching your transcendental academic heights.

Please post if you have any more questions. Oh, and btw who is your english advanced class teacher?

-tal-

HSC
phosphorescent said:
Hellos there,

English Advanced /169

English Ext. 1 /130

Mathematics /169

Mathematics Ext. 1 /157

Chemistry /152

Modern History /19

Visual Arts /9

I think ideally you'll need to be getting something that looks like this:

English Advanced
4/169

English Ext. 1 5/130

Mathematics 5/169

Mathematics Ext. 1 5/157

Agriculture (HSC currently) 3/61

Chemistry 5/152

Modern History 1/19

Visual Arts 1/9

But this is an assumption I made: you're not at some incredibly high-performance selective school. I'm thinking you're at some school ranked lower than 200.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
-tal- said:
I think ideally you'll need to be getting something that looks like this:

English Advanced
4/169

English Ext. 1 5/130

Mathematics 5/169

Mathematics Ext. 1 5/157

Agriculture (HSC currently) 3/61

Chemistry 5/152

Modern History 1/19

Visual Arts 1/9

But this is an assumption I made: you're not at some incredibly high-performance selective school. I'm thinking you're at some school ranked lower than 200.
With rankings like that she would get a UAI of 100 or at the very least 99+ since she goes to James Ruse.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
phosphorescent said:
Hellos there,

English Advanced /169

English Ext. 1 /130

Mathematics /169

Mathematics Ext. 1 /157

Chemistry /152

Modern History /19

Visual Arts /9

Be within top 50% and 99+ is yours.

-tal-

HSC
kaz1 said:
With rankings like that she would get a UAI of 100 or at the very least 99+ since she goes to James Ruse.
Ok!! My bad, James Ruse? I'll fix the rankings (sorry, I didn't know...):

English Advanced 40/169

English Ext. 1 40/130

Mathematics 50/169

Mathematics Ext. 1 50/157

Agriculture (HSC currently) 20/61

Chemistry 50/152

Modern History 8/19

Visual Arts 5/9

Whoa, any how, I reckon you'll be assured of a 99+ at this rate & at James Ruse...

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Bobness said:
Oh hello, rusian :)

(Agriculture and large chemistry cohort gave it away)

For combined law it's definitely 99.30 at UNSW, which is the most recent uai cut-off. I've been told it will rise though (not sure where you got the 99.35, but i can check that on sunday).

Out of your subjects, agriculture will almost certainly not count (even the people who topped the state in ag in the last 3 years at ruse, didn't count it towards their uai because it is 'capped'). And depending on if you are taking extension two english or history extension next year, you'll probably need to look at the following preliminary rankings. These only provide an indicator of the ranks you need to achieve in the HSC, as cohort sizes change drastically.

English Advanced 80/169 (normally the top half score band 6)

English Ext. 1 60/130 (by the way the cohort drops to about 80 in year 12 if i recall correctly, as many instead switch to do extension two maths :))

Mathematics 60/169 (again this drops to about 80 in year 12, see above)

Mathematics Ext. 1 60/157 (about 150 do this in year 12 - stays pretty constant)

Agriculture (HSC currently) don't worry about this/61 (though if you score a band 6 here, you can count it towards premier's award when you finish your HSC)

Chemistry 60/152

Modern History 3+/19

Visual Arts 1?/9

In Modern History, generally less than 5 score in the band 6 range (your cohort will also drop to 10-12 by year 12) and even coming 3rd may mean you score a low band 6. This may put a 99.3 UAI out of range.

I'm not too sure about Visual Arts because neither the 06 or 07 cohort (and i think 08 as well) did this. You have a very artistic grade :eek: If you can score a top ranking though, it basically means the highest mark scored in the external exams (which would likely be yours) is also your internal mark - ie you don't let the variation in your classmate's marks affect you. Small cohorts are always the hardest to predict but can lead to very pleasant surprises when the results come out.

If you score an average of 92 (or 46 for your extension subjects) across at least 10 units then a 99.3 UAI is within reach. 99.55 will probably need at least 5 units of 93 and the other half 92. Check this on SAM, however again the uai fluctates by about +/- 0.2 each year for different marks and because you are aiming for a very specific uai increment above 99, then it may be best to just speak to Wearne after your HSC trials :)

Focus on your preliminaries now, and basking in the reflective glory of La Périchole :shy:

Arts / Law is a very admirable aim, and hopefully you may make it into UNSW in 2 years time :shy::shy: It is unfortunate your strengths don't lie in maths (i was like you in HS!) as ruse performs incredibly well in the subject, but you must not let your fixation with the concept of a UAI deter you from reaching your transcendental academic heights.

Please post if you have any more questions. Oh, and btw who is your english advanced class teacher?
Ahaha, whoops, must've remembered the UAI wrong :apig:

Well I feel a little more assured now, although I know I won't get the Maths marks I need but will make up for it with English (hopefully). It really is a shame I'm not good at Maths. What a waste!

And I currently have the WORST Advanced Teacher ever - Mason. Ugh.

And thanks for the help, guys :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
phosphorescent said:
Ahaha, whoops, must've remembered the UAI wrong :apig:

Well I feel a little more assured now, although I know I won't get the Maths marks I need but will make up for it with English (hopefully). It really is a shame I'm not good at Maths. What a waste!

And I currently have the WORST Advanced Teacher ever - Mason. Ugh.

And thanks for the help, guys :)
She's ok, i had her for extension and she's very lovely once you hit senior years.

She's also well known for treating the girls a little nicer (although that didn't affect me :D)

I'm sure your cohort will do well, if musical was anything to go by :) Besides, they are changing the syllabus and texts this year, so everything's a fresh new start (english that is).

re: other posters, unless you've actually attended ruse, i don't think any of your predictions were very accurate (namu would be closest, though it was quite general).

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Oh, yeah, I've definitely noticed that :uhhuh:
She loves most girls in our class. But then, compared to other teachers, I think she's some what incompetent. But hopefully, it'll be alright cos of the change of syllabus and all :D

But yes indeed, musical was awesome :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Bobness said:
re: other posters, unless you've actually attended ruse, i don't think any of your predictions were very accurate (namu would be closest, though it was quite general).
Yeah, but there were only 2 people in total who were trying to determine the rankings she needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)