• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Alternative Bored funding (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I love Bored. What I don't love is the ads. Whilst I do know that they help keep the site afloat, I really don't like the idea of having these pervading every page of this glorious site:

Password Management
Store users' passwords securely on USB tokens. Enterprise solution.

Secret Password Recording
Hide your passwords in pictures Undetectable, unbreakable encoding

Website Hosting, $4.95/mo
3GB Space, 150 GB Bandwidth Get a Free Domain & Two Free Months

Active@ Password Changer
Boot disk to reset passwords for Windows XP 2000 2003 NT. Free Demo.

Would it be possible to sumbit something to Brendon Nelson? An appeal for funding to keep the site. I'm sure that if we got enough people, the relatively low price of this ripper-cool site might be covered by the minister.

Also, it might get a bit more media attention and explode with members.

More people. More love....LESS ADs

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Gavrillo said:
I love Bored. What I don't love is the ads. Whilst I do know that they help keep the site afloat, I really don't like the idea of having these pervading every page of this glorious site:

Password Management

Active@ Password Changer

Would it be possible to sumbit something to Brendon Nelson? An appeal for funding to keep the site. I'm sure that if we got enough people, the relatively low price of this ripper-cool site might be covered by the minister.

I dont think that the ad's impede much on the actual site as they are just in the top corner, whats the problem

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Gavrillo said:

Password Management

Active@ Password Changer

if they annoy you that much, feel free to leave.
:)

HSC
N/A
Relatively low price?

I have this incredibly sneaking suspicion that the admins have already applied for funding. Money always has to come from *somewhere*...

I'm more than happy to have twice as many ads, if it will help the admins having to fork out their own money to keep BOS alive (which is what I bet they're doing).

I was chatting to ujuphleg the other day, and she came up with this great idea of a study day where all past and present HSC students could come (entry wouldn't be free, naturally)... lots of thinking there, but that's an idea for a productive fund-raiser.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Relatively low price?

I have this incredibly sneaking suspicion that the admins have already applied for funding. Money always has to come from *somewhere*...

I'm more than happy to have twice as many ads, if it will help the admins having to fork out their own money to keep BOS alive (which is what I bet they're doing).

I was chatting to ujuphleg the other day, and she came up with this great idea of a study day where all past and present HSC students could come (entry wouldn't be free, naturally)... lots of thinking there, but that's an idea for a productive fund-raiser.
that sounds like a cool idea

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Relatively low price?

Wouldnt it cost money for past HSCers or is it like we mentor them and the current and future HSCers pay the money?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't even see the ads there

funding would be good

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Even if funding was granted, it would allow them to dictate what happens on the site.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
I actually think there's supposed to be a paypal button underneath the Kids Help Line one on the main page. I looked at the source and I saw a section that could have been meant to display the ad, but at the moment it's not. The admin might not have pasted the code correctly, or it's deliberate and the account hasn't been activated yet.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
melsc said:
These adds dont bother me at all...i hardly notice them :)
haha heaps effective ads

hey i would donate....i use bos all the time...why not pay some money?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Murf said:
There is an interesting little thing u prob have seen on other sites

PayPal Donate System

i rekon it would be cool, put it in place, im always suprised on other sites the amount ppls donate :) lol

it dosent cost any thing to put the system in so there really isint a lot to lose is there:p
asscookie said:
I looked at the source and I saw a section that could have been meant to display the ad, but at the moment it's not. The admin might not have pasted the code correctly, or it's deliberate and the account hasn't been activated yet.
Yes, the admins took it out :)

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Wouldnt it cost money for past HSCers or is it like we mentor them and the current and future HSCers pay the money?
Post-HSC act as mentors, sit at the desks etc.

Current and future HSCers pay. :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Post-HSC act as mentors, sit at the desks etc.

Current and future HSCers pay. :)
Brillant idea, do we get coached on what we have to do for them, like what they expect from us and how we run the program, or isnt the plan that detailed yet?

HSC
N/A
LOL...

this is still just an idea that ujuphleg came up with... although I think it's brilliant. :)

I'd personally like to see it as a sort of BOS, but face-to-face. Not sure on specifics... but I still think it's a fantastic idea...ujuphleg, you rule!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Murf said:
Maybe you could think of benefits for like a "Premium Membership" that gives access to another secrete forum, lol once people donate say more than $5 then they can get premium membership, that lets them have bos with No Adds and also say another premium forum etc, and maybe some other things, another status like rep, stating those that donate to bos. Extra SAM Features etc.

m
The getting rid of ads things sounds alright, but it would have to be calculated how much revenue the ads generate and then work out what a member would have to pay to not see them.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Murf said:
I highly doubt that the revenue would be heaps! or on the flip side that removing say even 100 members who all paid say 5 bucks each is 500 bucks, i highly doubt that remmoving the adds from those 100 members would cause any loss at all in the adds... if you calculated it it is usually like 2c or 3c per click through, per unique IP.

m
It may even increase it if we are required to click on the ads for BoS to earn revenue, cause how many ppl would actually go to these sites

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
LOL...

this is still just an idea that ujuphleg came up with... although I think it's brilliant. :)

I'd personally like to see it as a sort of BOS, but face-to-face. Not sure on specifics... but I still think it's a fantastic idea...ujuphleg, you rule!
Well logistically it would be difficult to use past students as while BoS has many prodigal minds, not all of them are suited to this sort of thing, as many of them would not do it without pay and others may be too far away. So in a lot of ways it once again restricts it to the bos staff and benefactors as well as notable others if taken by that approach, and it'd be flawed, as what for instance would you do if a latin student turned up, or an aboriginal studies student? You'd have to turn them away. So this leads me to think that maybe *Bos* shouldnt hold a fundraiser, but interested members can work independent of Bos,everyone has contacts outside of Bos that they can use to join in a coordinated fundraiser/mentor day, and you could drag people in easily, as I'm sure it would look good on a CV that you gave up your day to mentor up and coming students, and people can donate whatever profits they make.
lol, not sure if i have been coherent or not, but essentially I mean an independent student mentor day with proceeds donated to Bos, rather than an event just by the bos team, the benefactors, mods and admins may be intelligent but i dont think they can do it on their own-and that is pretty much what would happen if you did that. Use the student community rather than just the Bos team, there are a hell of a lot more of them for starters.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
the whole point of this thread was how to fund Bos without increasing the ads, and making some sort of elite paid for advice section defeats the whole purpose of having a free resource for students

HSC
N/A
Kami has some good points there.

On another forum I frequent, they have the premium membership thing. That could be an idea...

What are the currently revenue raisers? Isn't there a dance party or something? And now, merchandise? I wouldn't mind lending time to help sell merchandise at open days...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)