• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

AMD FX-60s' in development (1 Viewer)

Stan..

HSC
To keep that thing cool you would need a monster fan, Liquid Nitrogen anyone?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Stan.. said:
To keep that thing cool you would need a monster fan, Liquid Nitrogen anyone?
Normal air cooling is fine dude. CPU makers obviously clock a chip at a speed so that no unconventional cooling means are required at stock speeds.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Im thinking of moving to AMD next upgrade. The lack of water-cooling for their latest high-end cpu's is an issue though.
Since when do CPU's come with water cooling? I've never seen a stock heatsink that isn't capable of handling the temperatures of the CPU, if cooling is really an issue, you could always just buy the water cooling yourself.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
A P4 560 will overheat and throttle on stock heatsink.

Although no CPU comes with stock watercooling, AMD or Intel.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
AMD so kicks intel right now I reckon..

I installed a normal stock heatsink for an AMD 64. Ran at a pretty cool 20 degrees.

My computer is a gay intel with a custom arctic cooling heatsink fan....that runs at 50 degrees...

But I guess I was able to o/c it by around 600Mhz stable, so its not too bad.

Despite that my computer is pretty good overall, with a 6800 ultra, ocz ram etc...

I GOT ONE FUCKING SHIT CASE. OMG. I can't believe I haven't changed it..

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ragerunner said:
AMD so kicks intel right now I reckon..

I installed a normal stock heatsink for an AMD 64. Ran at a pretty cool 20 degrees.

My computer is a gay intel with a custom arctic cooling heatsink fan....that runs at 50 degrees...

But I guess I was able to o/c it by around 600Mhz stable, so its not too bad.

Despite that my computer is pretty good overall, with a 6800 ultra, ocz ram etc...

I GOT ONE FUCKING SHIT CASE. OMG. I can't believe I haven't changed it..
As a gamer, AMD is generally better yes. But when it comes to notebooks, Pentium Ms are still the way to go. AMD Turions are nice, no doubt.. but they lack the battery life.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Uh, you obviously havnt come across a Pentium4 running on the LGS platform. The stock heatsink struggles to cool the heat produced by a Pentium4.
Aye I have, and I don't know where your problems would have occured from except perhaps a poorly seated heatsink or fan problems or something along those lines as all the ones I've dealt with have run fine, yes, they were hot, but they werent overheating unless they were overclocked. What were the case and room temps like? I haven't dealt with any of the dual core P4's, though I would imagine they would run hotter and be more likely to have heat issues then the single cores.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Templar said:
Can't say I've seen that before, though I read it through and just thought I'd point this bit out:

Using the virgin Intel boxed cooler, the processor will certainly run within its specified parameters even under high workload. However, dismounting the cooler forces the user to clean the processor and the cooler surface in order to deploy a fresh thermal compound - which is exactly where problems begin.
Which is probably why I havent dealt with any that have had temperature problems.

It's an interesting read though, if they are having heat issues at that point, AMD has a very strong lead since none of their high end CPU's (to my knowledge) have temperature issues...Though I must admit my Athlon XP 2800+ barton runs hot enough to cook a potato using the stock cooler, its still will within its temperature range, even in summer when the room temps are almost 50c.... I always knew the P4 prescotts ran hot, but I'd never heard of them running that hot before.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Hehe, I think I'll stick with my barton until I have the money to do a full system upgrade, at which point I will probably be using either an Athlon 64 or an Opteron...so much cooler....

Collin

HSC
N/A
If I did an upgrade right now I'd probably go X2 3800+.. but I'm waiting for AMD's new socket.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
JKDDragon said:
If I did an upgrade right now I'd probably go X2 3800+.. but I'm waiting for AMD's new socket.
When is that likely?
I'm trying to plan my next upgrade path (next gen graphics and new AMD socket)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
When is that likely?
I'm trying to plan my next upgrade path (next gen graphics and new AMD socket)
From what I know (and at the moment, alot of it IS just speculation), AMD's entire line is transitioning to the new DDR2 supporting, 1207 pin M2 socket starting 06'.. but remember since it's all new, there might be awhile of buggy unreliable mobos etc. So really we have to wait and see how the cards play.

Again, alot of this is speculation.. if you're buying soon (and by soon I even mean say middle next year), just buy a computer and try not to worry too much about M2... atleast until some concrete evidence comes up showing it's integrity is secured. Some people even say AMD might skip DDR2 and go straight to DDR3 to gain a foothold advantage over Intel. Then we have people saying AMD is moving their current DDR support to DDR500. Then we have sources suggesting all M2 processors will support DDR2-667.

As for schedule, according to this AMD roadmap it should start to phase in in Q2 of 06':

Hence if you're building a new comp in Q2 too.. well might be a bit unfeasible to consider it then.. :cool:

Last edited:

Stan..

HSC
JKDDragon said:
Normal air cooling is fine dude. CPU makers obviously clock a chip at a speed so that no unconventional cooling means are required at stock speeds.
Are you hearing yourself correctly, Dual 2.6 Ghz power. As Templar so correctly pointed out Intel's model overheats, this thing will need something special to cool it. So, It would be a natural progression to either build bigger fans or to find other methods. Liquid cooling seems to be the only viable option seeing that Fans are noisy and big things are more likely to break.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Stan.. said:
Are you hearing yourself correctly, Dual 2.6 Ghz power. As Templar so correctly pointed out Intel's model overheats, this thing will need something special to cool it. So, It would be a natural progression to either build bigger fans or to find other methods. Liquid cooling seems to be the only viable option seeing that Fans are noisy and big things are more likely to break.
Yes, I'm hearing myself correctly. Do you really think AMD would release it where the stock standard has a prerequisite of liquid cooling? I doubt it. That makes minimal business sense. If they wanted to release a stock liquid cooled version, they'd have those cores at higher than 2.6GHz stock and also announce an air cooling version too. I don't think any of these major companies would be so foolish to release a flagship product which also isolates out the majority of their market with additional major prerequisites.. which in this case will require more money, effort and expertise to implement.

Stan..

HSC
I see your point. Simply, I don't know. That thing has got to be hot, with intel's problems it makes no sense. I'll take your word for it.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well I'm not doubting your point, just remember that. Since I have no concrete proof that it's not a liquid version, I can't exactly refute against you in a totally confident manner. Just that from a business perspective, it would make no sense at all.. and generally if they were actually going liquid, that is quite a huge move if you ask me.. so I think they (AMD) would make it quite clear to whoever's gonna report that to the world that it's gonna be liquid, instead of finally releasing a statement a few months before release: "New AMD64 FX-60! Dual-core @ 2.6GHz, will kill any game you throw at it! PS, liquid version only.. so you better know how to watercool your system LOLOLOL suckers!"....

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
The single core Athlon 64's and FX's run alot cooler then then Athlon XP's and P4 Prescotts do, so even with dual core, chances are, they still won't be that hot and if they are, they'll be designed to cope with it, there are some very effective are coolers out there by the way, particularly in the realm of Zalman and Thermaltake, and these coolers can keep most CPU's at a safe temperature, not as low as water cooling but still safe, as such, AMD should be able to provide an air cooler that is sufficient. As JKDDragon said, its illogical to release something that will cut out half their market.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Just pointing out the thermal issue.

A Pentium D 820 running at 2.8GHz would release about 130W of heat (not sure exact figure, around there). This could be air cooled by an efficient heatsink design, but just. If you want to overclock an Intel dual core, it might be possible on a select few chips, but I would certainly get some proper water cooling (eg Asetek WaterChill).

Assuming that the design of the new Athlon FX60 to be basically two single core processors made on one chip (which is what the Pentium D is basically). At 2.6GHz it would still be possible to be air cooled. However, since you're going to spend over $1000 on a performance chip chances are you will want to overclock it, and don't mind spending the money on watercooling to get the max overclock.

Intel processors based on Prescott and later cores produce so much heat as a result of both its high clockspeed (the whole point of Netburst is that it can achieve high frequencies), and the transition to 90nm method increased leakage. As far as I am aware Athlon64 does not have the same problem, or at least to the same extent as Intel (obviously high clockspeed will result in more heat).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)