• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ancient vs Modern (1 Viewer)

Audranda

HSC
Which history, in your opinion, would be a preferable option and why?

I'm still tossing between the two as to which to pick for my senior subjects.

norwegianwood

HSC
ancient was torture for me (i dropped it STRAIGHT AWAY and felt gr8). it has such dry content, too much work on sites/excavations ugh, and lots of boring readings.
modern is a bit more relevant, can be super interesting, scales better as a subject, has less work on primary sources (focuses mostly on historians), and is good for practicing succinct writing techniques and planning an argument on the spot.

enoilgam

HSC
Which history, in your opinion, would be a preferable option and why?

I'm still tossing between the two as to which to pick for my senior subjects.
It really depends on personal preference, some like Ancient, others like Modern. Personally, I'm a fan of Modern.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Modern definitely. I fail to see a whole lot of relevance in ancient history (cool, the Egyptians wrapped dead people in bandages. This affects the world how?), whereas modern by contrast explains a lot about why the world we live in is the way it is.

Lina3

HSC
I personally picked Ancient because, as someone who already really likes history and knows a fair bit about it I knew I wouldn't enjoy learning about various wars of the 20th century. While I acknowledge they were significant events that shaped the world we live in today and I respect all those brave people sacrificed themselves and/or protected their home fronts, I personally do not find the topic historically interesting. Also, I do not understand the people who say "Ancient is not relevant to today, we don't need to know it," first of all, antiquity is very relevant in that it is the birth period of many technologies, political systems and scholarly disciplines that still exist today. And secondly, so what if it has no direct application to the 'modern world'? For me studying Ancient History has built up my cultural awareness and shown me how timeless human nature is. And I personally find that very fascinating. Long story short: I think Ancient is better because of the more interesting content, but at the end of the day its an entirely personal choice.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Do whichever one you find most interesting. Ask your teachers what topics you would study and see what appeals most.

HSC
Ancient all the way! Definitely far more interesting which is evident at my school because the cohort is much larger than it is for modern (it's double). But in saying this, it depends on what you're learning and whether or not you have good teachers.

pscecelia

HSC
MODERN FTW! it's sooo much more interesting and relevant ! we learn about historical figures who influenced so much in their time and impacts profoundly today.....and as for ancient ...well I reckon it a pile of 'bs' put together....the content is sooooo boring and soooooo heavy....its all about excavating and shit .... and FML I still do it ....wished I dropped it :(

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Ancient. Must more interesting, especially in terms of learning about past civilisations. It's fascinating.

Learning about the past century is just a boring little bit of such an enormous field.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)