• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

animation (1 Viewer)

crammy90

HSC
if pathbased is just a way of generating the animation but are stored as separate frames in the final image, how do they require any less processing than cell-based?

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
"The pixels in the background do not change, only those for the moving object. This saves memory and processing time."

As opposed to cell-based, which requires every frame to be redrawn from scratch (that's what I gather), path-based only changes the required pixels. Also, it saves a lot of time.

crammy90

HSC
Makro said:
"The pixels in the background do not change, only those for the moving object. This saves memory and processing time."

As opposed to cell-based, which requires every frame to be redrawn from scratch (that's what I gather), path-based only changes the required pixels. Also, it saves a lot of time.
hmm..what text book did you get it out of?
because i did animation a while back and i always used path-based as the method of producing the animation..not saving. Each frame would still have to be saved as its own cell/frame and so size would be the same. Maybe it depends on the format because i know for .gif you can specify a colour you wish to index as the "transparent color" and this colour for that gif animation doesnt change between frames. But then im under the impression if path and cell based were to have the exact same number of frames of the exact same image (i dont think thats possible lol) and they were to both specify the same colour to be transparent, then they should be the same file sizes..:S hopefully we dont get this question then lol

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Heinemann.

Go with the more logical explanation (from my textbook) rather than what you remember (confusing to you). It's the best bet.

ctrlaltv

HSC
hello crammy90, cell-based animation is animation that is usually created by a computer. A user creates the first and last frames, and the computer generates the frames in between. Obviously this would require more processing then path-based, as the user is required to create all the frames in the animation. Path-based is also animation on a fixed background, so its obvious that path-based requires less processing then cell-based. Refer to page 227 of Heinemann textbook.

hope I helped =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)