• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anne Frank for major assignment (1 Viewer)

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Hi there.. Im doing Anne Frank for my major assignment. Im doing how she was built up as such a legend, and why her out of all of the people in the holocaust. Just wondering if anyone else has done anything similar, or has an idea of some good resources I can access!

sugared plum

HSC
ok maybe it would work.
it's the whole popular history issue , there are some good books writte already i think which is good.
but you know it's not just "her out of all the people in the holocaust" who are remembered. so just be careful about making judgements about how YOU see the historiography of the holocaust.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
ok maybe it would work.
it's the whole popular history issue , there are some good books writte already i think which is good.
but you know it's not just "her out of all the people in the holocaust" who are remembered. so just be careful about making judgements about how YOU see the historiography of the holocaust.
But she is the most popular out of them all..the 'biggest' legend so to speak..

sugared plum

HSC
Originally posted by nessie_lee
But she is the most popular out of them all..the 'biggest' legend so to speak..
but in whose opinion is she "the most popular"?

certainly not in mine; which historians would say that??

i think you're talking about something called 'popular social memory'; a useable past. how certain groups attach themselves to a certain individual (who may possess characteristics the group admires) and thus write history which focuses upon the actions of that individual - and in doing so ignore the other aspects of the story.

BUT, i really don't think this has happened with the history of the holocaust.

jaffa

There is info around on a woman called Meip Geis (the spelling might be slightly off), she is the woman who hid Anne and family in her attic. Looking at her role in the building of the legend of Anne could be interesting. People tend to forget that Anne was a child and had lots of help.
And try to be careful about how you go about the task, you dont want it to come across as cliched.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
HSC
yeah i did come across her when i was reading the diary of anne frank, and i knew she was still alive.. i think it was kinda 2 ppl who helped her legend be as big as it is, that chick (miep) and her father?, but what motives did he have?... ah dear here's my brain running overtime again!
Thanks for your help! :)
-Ness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)