• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Answering "explain" questions. (1 Viewer)

HSC
This verb is what troubles me in the HSC.

It simply means "relate, cause and effect". Could anyone give me an exemplar answer to an explain question? (Any subject would do, but preferably Chemistry).

Zedez

HSC
Make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how; showing a direct linkage between the two things discussed ?

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
This verb is what troubles me in the HSC.

It simply means "relate, cause and effect". Could anyone give me an exemplar answer to an explain question? (Any subject would do, but preferably Chemistry).

The simplest way is to use many "therefore"s..
like -> Ethanol has non-polar ethyl group which exerts dispersion forces. THEREFORE it is soluble in non-polar substances. It also has a polar hydroxyl group, which exerts creates hydrogen bonding. This ALLOWS it to dissolve in polar substances as well as in non-polar substances.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how; showing a direct linkage between the two things discussed ?
I think he prefers an exemplar response rather than the definition of "explain" :). And study-freak, where specifically is the "relate", "cause" and "effect" in your answer? Is it ordered?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I think he prefers an exemplar response rather than the definition of "explain" :). And study-freak, where specifically is the "relate", "cause" and "effect" in your answer? Is it ordered?
cause->therefore (or other words such as allows)->effect
Then you've related cause to its effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)