• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anti-Austen, or the author you like least (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I disagree, Heaney is good. Whoever it was that wrote The Bone People though.. ye god that was a terrible book.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
ishq said:
Jane Austen is so.......well, domestic .
Its a bit hard to even read her books without laughing at the insignificance of it all.

The term 'literature' has become controversial. Pretty soon it might become synonymous with Dan Brown.
Doesnt that mean that Jane Austen is making a statement about society that makes you think?

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
jim_green said:
I disagree, Heaney is good. Whoever it was that wrote The Bone People though.. ye god that was a terrible book.
YES Keri Hulme. That is a great book. I hope I still have it somewhere.

HSC
i agree about shakespeare and seamus heaney

but no1 even mentioned william golding who brought us that trash, lord of the flies

rific

HSC
I haven't read Maestro yet, but I have read some of Goldworthy's essays and I thought he was reasonably talented.

Shakespeare can be a good read, not always, but some/most of his stuff is pretty good.

Back to my personal 'favourite' - Austen does make you think about social pressures and the nature of the human mind, and for that reason she could be seen as a good philosopher or teacher or something like that, I'm just not a fan of her voice (I think that's the best way to explain it), normally I can get over problems like that, but just not with Austen.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Grobus said:
Doesnt that mean that Jane Austen is making a statement about society that makes you think?
No, it means Austen is domestic

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
jim_green said:
Well, I'm not sure which of the two I disliked more. :p Heaney's poetry just seemed so insignificant and badly-written -- maybe this is because I was studying Donne for 2U at the time, and I liked that a lot better.

TBP was a decent book in terms of plot and ideas. I liked many of the issues she tried to bring up, and I thought Kerewin was a great character. The style of writing, though, left much to be desired... :vcross: :chainsaw:

Abbeygale

HSC
Pride and Prejudice was quite possibly the only assigned English book I've ever enjoyed. I love Jane Austen. But I can understand why I was the only person in the class who liked the book.

My personal least favourite author at the moment is David Malouf. I'm not a big fan of postmodernism. At least, I assume it's a postmodern text, since it's structured oddly, is full of pretentious metaphors and doesn't go anywhere. It seems unfair that there's so many people out there who don't want to do Emma, while there's a heap of girls in my class (stuck doing 'In the Wild') who desperately wanted to do 'Transformations' instead.

malkin86

HSC
Austen never shows a happy marriage, but we are left to assume that all her heroines' marriages are blissful.. Sucky. I once thought I read a sequel to P&P where Darcy became an abusive SOB. I can't remember what it was called or who it was by.. I think I was 11. :(

Crazy Horse

HSC
I also quite like the Classics and i enjoy Austens works but as for the worst book ever - im not sure. I do however believe that Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" was the most overrated book ever.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
rific said:
"Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it." :D
Mark Twain

Some friends of mine are going to study a unit on Jane Austen, I'm sure some would find that really interesting. Just not me. :)

Are there any famous author's out there people don't like - really don't like - or do people like the better known authors best? In other words, as a general rule, who writes the best/worst, the famous or the silent majority?

DIE AUSTEN DIE!!!! *dude she's dead* BURN EMMA BURN!!!!! AHHHHHHHH PATHETIC LITERATURE!!! OMG CAN IT GET ANY WORSE!?!

rific

HSC
nick1048 said:
DIE AUSTEN DIE!!!! *dude she's dead* BURN EMMA BURN!!!!! AHHHHHHHH PATHETIC LITERATURE!!! OMG CAN IT GET ANY WORSE!?!
Wow, now that's what I like to see, people being passionate about literature.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Oh and Austen is soap operatic to the ninth degree, with many of her stories similar to that of say Nicholas Sarks. Serving the society's ideals of the time while at the same time spicing them up with an "edge". Goddamnit Elizabeth Bennet is not a rebel, she gets married like everyone else does and who knows is she is happy after her marriage?? Austen did the "happily ever after" stupidity too many times (that is that life in those times ended with marriage and that marriage was the pinnacle of life, thus not writing after her heroine/hero's post-marriage life).

grrr austen :vcross:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)