• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Antibiotics: A Dangerous Pandemic of Overuse (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I took antibiotics recently. Severe cold lasting 2.5wks during exam period

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Haven't taken antibiotics since I got bronchitis in 2008. I'm simply one of those people who dislike taking medication (not even Panadol) except for the stuff that stops diarrhea because that shit nasty

Meanwhile my hypochondriac of a mother lives by them
Weird you got them for bronchitis, it's almost always viral in origin (ie the antibiotics probably did you no good anyway).

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Weird you got them for bronchitis, it's almost always viral in origin (ie the antibiotics probably did you no good anyway).
Apparently it was bacterial but whatever the origin I lived so it must have worked lol

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
It's just because it's easier...

Ideally you'd want to get a sample and send it off to pathology in order to choose the most effective antibiotic to treat the type of infection to prolong this problem we have with resistance.

However the patient doesn't want to book 2 or 3 sessions to see the Doctor and spend more money and they want a quick fix.

Doctor gives in to keep their patients happy and as a result all these beautiful broad spectrum antibiotics that are effective against a wide variety of infections become less and less effective with time as bacteria evolve (which is super fucking quick, like jesus christ).

Bit of a sticky situation.

I guess developing a system that could give you quicker results for the type of infection present would help immensely, but I'd have no fucking clue where to begin with that and now I'm just babbling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)