• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone can help me with this Physics Assignment? (1 Viewer)

coeyz

HSC
Our topic is "Moving About"
and the task is :
"Design and carry out a first-hand investigation to gather data showing the potiential danger presented by loose objects in a vehicle and compile a scientific report of the invesetigation."

Really have no idea how to do it...?
Anyone has some suggestion?
Thanks a lot

JamesTockuss

HSC
Ok so get the car. Put a book or something in the back of the car.
Accelerate to diff speeds (e.g. first 10, 20, 30, 40) and then brake quickly. See how far the book moves due to inertia and graph this distance v. speed travelling initially.

coeyz

HSC
but i duno how to drive....
my teacher ask me to use skateboard..
n i dun hv skateboard n any car toys either..
wht can i do..

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Perhaps get some sort of vehicle which you can control with a remote control and brake etc, and also place some small object onto. Then test Newton's first law with a variety of scenarios (brake as vehicle is travelling whilst moving forward, brake as vehicle is reversing, brake as vehicle is turning etc.). Then observe the motion of the object in your scenarios.

Loose objects would present a potential danger because Newton's first law, stating that "an object moves with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force," suggests that once the vehicle brakes, although the force applied to the vehicle by the brakes causes the vehicle to stop moving, there is no force being applied upon the object. Thus the object would remain in motion and cause risk to people in the car, e.g objects in motion hit passengers (pretty extreme scenario).

Last edited:

coeyz

HSC
Thankyou everyone..
I kind of hv some ideas how to do it now
:read:

coeyz

HSC
I decided to use a unrestrained doll and restrained doll by using a rubber band, put it on top of a toy car, so when the car moves then stops suddenly, the unrestained one will fall but the restrained one will not.

On my criteria marking guideline, it said it should include numerical measurements also, but wht should i measure? the velocity of the car? or the momentum? Thanksss a lot!!!

H4rdc0r3

HSC
stickytape a knife facing you on the dashboard, slam breaks while travelling at a pretty fast speed, time how long it takes for you to die.

nah seriously, get a skateboard and place it at the back of your car if you have a flat spot there for luggage etc. put like a smooth thing underneath to reduce friction. get scales or balance and put it perpendicular to the ground and when ur breaking at different amounts get a friend to record what the scales read and times it by 9.8 for newtons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)