• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone with past experience working at OfficeWorks? (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
Hi guys,
I've just applied for a casual job at OfficeWorks, and was wondering whether anyone has been employed at said store before?
Although the website states that they employ anyone as long as they are legally old enough, what are the chances of them picking a 15 year old with no experience? I would reckon that my chances of even landing an interview wouldn't be very big if there are other applicants who are more appealing due to past work xp or age. Is it possible to work at a Officeworks as a first job?

Thank you :).

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
they might hire u and leave u at register or something due to cheap labour

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
you're cheap

everyone likes cheap people

Papercutter

HSC
Yep Ive handed my application in online already. If I don't get into the interview, its fine :).

screwuhsc

HSC
Yep Ive handed my application in online already. If I don't get into the interview, its fine :).
the chances are pretty slim through online i applied ages ago and have got no response as of yet if u do its like a medical miracle and prob luck on your side

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
your resume isn't awesome tbh you spend half the page talking about your academic achievements its not like they would care
Okay. So two people. A and B. Equal in all other areas. But A has displayed academic achievements and the ability to juggle multiple activities.

Who do you choose?

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Okay. So two people. A and B. Equal in all other areas. But A has displayed academic achievements and the ability to juggle multiple activities.

Who do you choose?
since when are two applicants completely equal (even in 'all other areas'. highly ambiguous) lol

if you're gonna apply for retail work (and not cadetships, emphasis on that) then a section on academic achievements is completely irrelevant. they would much rather (relevant) work experience and (probably) a list of skills and attributes. Truth be told a list of skills and attributes can essentially be faked on a resume except a smart interviewer would draw them out in an interview.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
since when are two applicants completely equal (even in 'all other areas'. highly ambiguous) lol

if you're gonna apply for retail work (and not cadetships, emphasis on that) then a section on academic achievements is completely irrelevant. they would much rather (relevant) work experience and (probably) a list of skills and attributes. Truth be told a list of skills and attributes can essentially be faked on a resume except a smart interviewer would draw them out in an interview.
go back to your basement son

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks captain obvious that having work experience is more relevant.

Having a skills and attributes is pretty pointless. Unless its like actual stuff when applying for specific jobs - eg knowing programing for XYZ language, essential skills. But if you are going to put in generic stuff like, oooo great interpersonal skills, blah blah. That's going to get you no where unless you can back it up with examples.

HR staff just skim through resumes, and if yours looks more impressive, having academic achievements can only work in your favour

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Thanks captain obvious that having work experience is more relevant.

Having a skills and attributes is pretty pointless. Unless its like actual stuff when applying for specific jobs - eg knowing programing for XYZ language, essential skills. But if you are going to put in generic stuff like, oooo great interpersonal skills, blah blah. That's going to get you no where unless you can back it up with examples.

HR staff just skim through resumes, and if yours looks more impressive, having academic achievements can only do good for you.
HR staff at the really large corporations don't even read resumes, they have online databases that read through them. Those online databases have keywords that are used to differentiate resumes. Keywords that pop up will be under the skills and attributes section as well as the past experience section.

Seriously your resume could potentially be written by someone who spent like their entire life living in their basement and playing LoL while cramming for school/uni. also half your extracurriculars aren't even legit anyway, they're just fillers in your resume

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
HR staff at the really large corporations don't even read resumes, they have online databases that read through them. Those online databases have keywords that are used to differentiate resumes. Keywords that pop up will be under the skills and attributes section as well as the past experience section.

Seriously your resume could potentially be written by someone who spent like their entire life living in their basement and playing LoL while cramming for school/uni. also half your extracurriculars aren't even legit anyway, they're just fillers in your resume

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Yes. But as I said before no point of writing generic things meaningless statements. The informatiom that is parsed is matched against relevancy to which the company specifically assigns to the position. You could chuck whatever you want, but next stage that gets you no where.

Yes, you can choose to bs your resume if you want to, but you are only kidding yourself. All these cirriculars mean nothing if you can't display that you would fit into the company's culture. Personality and values go way beyond. Experience and activities are just examples to backup things up

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Yes. But as I said before no point of writing generic things meaningless statements. The informatiom that is parsed is matched against relevancy to which the company specifically assigns to the position. You could chuck whatever you want, but next stage that gets you no where.

Yes, you can choose to bs your resume if you want to, but you are only kidding yourself. All these cirriculars mean nothing if you can't display that you would fit into the company's culture. Personality and values go way beyond. Experience and activities are just examples to backup things up
yep, I don't disagree with anything you've written there. A resume is essentially a gateway to an interview anyway. Interviews should be where the employer truly discovers what type of a person you are.

However in your resume are you displaying that you even are recognising that 'personality and values go way beyond'? Looking at your resume ok I can see you volunteer for heaps of things and you're a smart bloke. I can't tell anything apart from that about your personality or who you are. I'm just dubious that if you miss those areas in a resume if you're even going to get to a next stage. However judging by the fact that you've landed a Coles interview (good on you for doing so and good luck) at least renders some part of my argument slightly invalid. I just feel that your particular resume could tell the employer more about yourself than it is already

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
maybe doing better in your interview would help.
plz teach me how to pwc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)