• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are regional students/schools at a disadvantage compared to innercity schools? (1 Viewer)

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Of course the teachers will say different, but are regional students and school facilities worse than those in higher populated areas or boarding schools?

Do any of you have first hand experience seeing the difference?
Are results any higher in particular areas?

I'm just getting worried that I'll be left behind from city schools when I'm sitting my HSC.
But please be truthful!

Salehhh

HSC
you can attain any ATAR at any school. If you perform you're best in both internal and external exams, and come first in all you're subjects. It is possible to get 99.95 Atar...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can work hard and achieve any ATAR at a regional/rural comprehensive high school :)

Don't let that discourage you, if you work hard, it is rewarded!

What is your ATAR aim? :) What course?

You can acheive a good ATAR to get into the course alongside all those top public selective kids and top Sydney private high schools. Also, many universities are moving to the trend of having strong equity schemes for rural/regional students in ways of bonus points, flexible entry or scholarships, depending what you want to study.

I went to a regional school myself and received the score to choose between my highest UAC and VTAC preference, so it definitely can be done :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You can do very well at a regional school, but I do think that doing exceptionally is do exceptionally difficult if you're at a regional school (I'm at one myself). Evidently other people would disagree with me, but look through the first in course lists of the past couple of years and count the regional schools topping subjects like English, physics, maths, chem, modern, etc. You won't find many. Yes, of course there's a disadvantage. Is it massive? No. Can you do very well regardless? Of course. But it still exists. Teachers have to cater for wider ability ranges than at selectives, there isn't the competitive atmosphere and there certainly isn't the same level if access to resources. It's just a fact.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to a rural school and the thing is you have to make the best of what you have, sure there may be some inequity and it might be harder than other places. But at the end of the day it comes down to the individual if you want to be a sucess imo

Last edited:

leesh95

HSC
You can do very well at a regional school, but I do think that doing exceptionally is do exceptionally difficult if you're at a regional school (I'm at one myself). Evidently other people would disagree with me, but look through the first in course lists of the past couple of years and count the regional schools topping subjects like English, physics, maths, chem, modern, etc. You won't find many. Yes, of course there's a disadvantage. Is it massive? No. Can you do very well regardless? Of course. But it still exists. Teachers have to cater for wider ability ranges than at selectives, there isn't the competitive atmosphere and there certainly isn't the same level if access to resources. It's just a fact.
I second this. I went to a regional school which is actually one of the best schools in my area. But it is hard when you have teachers who have not had a single band 6 and have little to no experience in HSC teaching/ marking.
Also the level of resources available is not comparable to even a low ranked school in a city area. In my town you won't be able to find tutors for most subjects and if you end up with a crappy teacher like I did for 2 of my subjects then bad luck.

That said I do know of many people who got ATAR's of above 95 and went into law, med, engineering etc. Also while I never heard of some one from my town state ranking I have seen people get very very good marks and high band 6's in harder subjects like ext math, chemistry , physics etc.

The only thing is that in regional schools you have to put in more effort and work a bit harder to find the resources and help. You might not be spoon fed or get a lot of help from your teachers but there is no reason that you can't overcome that by trying.

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone!

My brother did exceptionally well in his HSC, but he had a very competitive year. I guess its just work ethic.

Of course I am aiming as high as possible for my ATAR and I will work my oxfords off to get it.
But still, it is a little disheartening to look at the HSC ranking... D:

Does it make a difference whether it's a Catholic or Public school much? As in for resources and teachers.
But-
I'll try my best either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)