• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are textbooks necessary for: ACST101, ECON111, BUSL100 & STAT170?? (1 Viewer)

Judyy-

HSC
The textbook fees aren't exactly cheap and I was wondering if I could cut back on costs by only buying those which were absolutely necessary. Also, if you could just give a brief overview of what to expect in these classes too? Thanks in advance!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
This is what the orientation and enrollment is for...
Enrolment and orientation don't tell you anything at all about the specifics of units...?

OP, can't help you much as i haven't done those units. Some books may be marked 'recommended' instead of 'text' on your text book list, you don't really need to buy the 'recommended' ones.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
ACST101 and ECON111, yes in my opinion (although people have mentioned that the lecture notes are very good for ACST and could perhaps replace the books).

Back when I did STAT170 (before they fixed it up), you didn't need the book but you did require a course reader. Not sure how it works now.

I haven't done BUSL100 so unfortunately I can't help you there.

My advice would be to attend the first lecture if you're unsure. You should be able to get an idea as to whether you actually require the book from there.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
For ACST101, the small book "Mathematics of Finance" is worthwile it provides good study questions. However the big book "Financial Instruments and Markets" (forgot the exact name) isn't really necessary at all because the elements lecture notes are all that you really need. I literally did not use that textbook when i did ACST101 last year.

For BUSL100 - absolutely yes. You will need it for the end of year open-book exam. (well it's more than just open book they will let you take lecture notes and articles as well :) we spent the last 2 weeks highlighting our textbooks for the material that will be in the exam)

For ECON111 you will also need the textbook, i wouldn't have survived without it.

For STAT170... you don't really need it but it is not useless I just studied mostly on MathXL.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)