• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Art Teachers best Advice- I got nothing (1 Viewer)

dollarfifty

HSC
Hey Yall,

Just wondering if anyone has actually learnt anything or received any good advice from their art teacher for their major work or the theory or whatever, I mean my art teachers real good and got her doctorate and all but she just doesnt seem to know how to teach the subject, or follow the syllabus! Can anyone help with actual advice, tips, and things I may need to know to get by. :confused:

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
haha! sounds a lot like my art teachers. Both of them in fact! They're good but they simply can't teach.

advice they gave us (based on their opinions which doesn't make the following points a fact.):

For HSC papers:
-Do Section 2 first
-at least 4 weeks before the HSC exam, do practice essays based on past HSC papers. Memorised key points for at least 3 of the essay questions for the reason that (according to them) the essays each year are somewhat similar just rephrased.
-Only do The "Practice" essays on section 2 if you have done some extended reading.
-Also study a bit of history and study the eras and major events that happened then. (quite important)
-As long as you understand the four frames and the conceptual framework with good luck you'd be fine.
-Good english bullcrapping skills does majority of the deal.

For prac:
-keep it simple and avoid the cliché.

-peace.​

dollarfifty

HSC
Lol

Thanks, surprisingly that actually helped! I am aiming for art express and its hard to know whether i am on the right track, my art teacher basically sits and eats in our lessons, oh and is sneaking off to have this relationship with the school cleaner in our lessons! Lol. its so hard to get good advice these days. thanks again. if u think of anything else that would be awesome! :D and if i get a skerick or semble of some advice worth repeating i will be sure to bring it up. And just another question do most people hand in their BOW with an artists statement? because according to my teacher there is no point and they limit what the markers could possibly perceive from our work, because they can 'read into it so much more than what we could merely attempt to portray'... apparently. i have written one but whats the general consensus on that??

Trillium

HSC
I think it's good to include an artists statement... you don't have to say "this is what it is/ about" you can just go on about how your artists practice developed and matured and stuff.
*shrugs*
Our art teachers are cool- they give advice that's usually conflicting and let us work as we will. As for general, non-work-specific advice... Make sure your work shows an artists practice... something consistent. And try to suggest either depth or texture, i suppose.

dollarfifty

HSC
Trillium said:
I think it's good to include an artists statement... you don't have to say "this is what it is/ about" you can just go on about how your artists practice developed and matured and stuff.
*shrugs*
Our art teachers are cool- they give advice that's usually conflicting and let us work as we will. As for general, non-work-specific advice... Make sure your work shows an artists practice... something consistent. And try to suggest either depth or texture, i suppose.
Thanks very much that was good advice but please keep it all coming! :D

The Cruel Sea

HSC
considering concept is one of the two criterions assessed for the prac mark i think a statement is almost necessary if you want your concept to be clear. The inclusion of a statement would allow the markers to see your concept the way you want it to be shown, then, having an indication of what to look for in your work, they can assess the success of its representation. Sure it is frustrating having to explain your artwork but for the sake of the bureaucratics of the HSC i think we just have to drop the pretensious "artsy-fartsy ohh i am such the ambiguous enigma/post-modern genius/hack" and just fullfill the criteria, the HSC is really quite trivial. Do well now and you can be promote yourself as the cutting edge psuedo intellectual after you get your HSC behind you. I study art through OTEN so i dont really interact with a teacher on a regular basis, this is just my opinion, agree, disagree do what you like, but i think common sense is persuasion enough to submit a statement with the work.

Daniel

HSC
N/A
My art teacher used to be second in charge of marking at the BOW marking centre, and he advises against the use of artists statements for the majority of students.

The problem is, as soon as you submit a statement it completely limits the various ways your artwork is able to be interpretted by the markers. It dictates how they are to see the work.

The outcome you are being marked against for conceptual resolution is as follows-
Demonstrates an articulation of ideas and concepts that are elaborated, reiterated, subtle and sustained coherently in the form(s) of the work.
Meanings make significant references and register on a number of levels

Can an artwork truly register on a number of levels if you're telling them the exact level in which it is to be viewed on (and henceforth closing the doors to personal interpretation) ?

Remember that the artists statements you see at ArtExpress are written after marking - when students are selected statements are requested to go along with their work. These statements do not accompany the work while it is being marked. (So don't go thinking all the works that did well were handed in with statements)

Also, students tend to think that the statement will just be viewed as a small thing on the side, but it is actually taken very seriously by the markers. And so statements that ramble, or are not very clear or articulate could in fact take away from the work.

However, if you feel your work is VERY complicated and could not possibly be interpretted without a statement, and you are a talented writer, it might be a good idea to write one. But of course - your work is supposed to stand for itself, and so if your work is that complicated you feel it absolutely needs a statement, you may need to work at going back and refining your ideas over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

dollarfifty

HSC
etc. etc. etc. said:
My art teacher used to be second in charge of marking at the BOW marking centre, and he advises against the use of artists statements for the majority of students.

The problem is, as soon as you submit a statement it completely limits the various ways your artwork is able to be interpretted by the markers. It dictates how they are to see the work.

The outcome you are being marked against for conceptual resolution is as follows-
Demonstrates an articulation of ideas and concepts that are elaborated, reiterated, subtle and sustained coherently in the form(s) of the work.
Meanings make significant references and register on a number of levels

Can an artwork truly register on a number of levels if you're telling them the exact level in which it is to be viewed on (and henceforth closing the doors to personal interpretation) ?

Remember that the artists statements you see at ArtExpress are written after marking - when students are selected statements are requested to go along with their work. These statements do not accompany the work while it is being marked. (So don't go thinking all the works that did well were handed in with statements)

Also, students tend to think that the statement will just be viewed as a small thing on the side, but it is actually taken very seriously by the markers. And so statements that ramble, or are not very clear or articulate could in fact take away from the work.

However, if you feel your work is VERY complicated and could not possibly be interpretted without a statement, and you are a talented writer, it might be a good idea to write one. But of course - your work is supposed to stand for itself, and so if your work is that complicated you feel it absolutely needs a statement, you may need to work at going back and refining your ideas over the next few weeks.

Wowza Thanks Very Much! Very helpful. Thanks guys. I didnt know about the art express thing, so that was great to know.

dollarfifty

HSC
Hey etc...etc...etc your'e way nice! :) Plus i checked out your urban photos and mixed media collages! They're great. Im curious as i did photography (was top in the class but dropped it as it wasnt a UAI subject why?! why?! why?! stupid me!) anywho, cough cough... ahem... and am wondering about what lense (fisheye?) you use and other techniques you adopt f-stop shutter speed and all. tell me everything lol. You seems to have a style all of your own its beautiful, your photos look sometimes nostalgic, sometimes sterile and sometimes brigh and gaudyy! Its great! :) lol. Anyway in terms of colour is it the camera or in the printing that you are achieving such intensity? I am sucha rookie lol but i am eager to learn. :D

HSC
N/A
Hey there Dollarfifty, sorry about the late reply - this thread seemed to slip right past me!

To answer your questions - at the moment I use two digital cameras (although both are currently on the blink!) one is a basic compact Sony Cybershot, with a standard 3x optical zoom lens, the other is a digital SLR, Canon EOS 300D and I have two lenses for that which I alternate between - an 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6 (very standard pack lens) which is good for slightly wider angle shots, and a 28-200mm telephoto (f 3.8-5.6) which I mostly use because it's quite versatile. I don't use any fisheyes or fancy lenses - they're both very basic and meet my needs really.

As far as actual picture taking goes there aren't really any techniques I use with the camera - I alternate between using Manual settings when I'm in a certain area for a fixed amount of time, and Auto settings (no flash!) when I'm walking through areas quickly that are sometimes shadowed or sometimes in light. It's the same with focus, I alternate between manual and auto depending on how lazy I'm feeling and whether there's anything special I'm actually looking for. Because most of the surfaces I take are flat, I usually just employ auto focus, and occasionally manual if it's not quite right. But if I'm looking for something with more depth of field and a not so flat perspective, I will always use manual.

The actual 'look' of my work comes about through the actual way I use the area, and then post-processing in Photoshop. I don't really do anything fancy with the camera itself. I like to look for interesting textures and good natural light, move around for a minute thinking and considering composition. At the moment I'm enjoying taking photos through translucent surfaces, like the piece up on my page 'In Transition'.

Colour plays a major role in what captures my eye in the first place, and then how I use Photoshop. Once again I don't do anything overly fancy, I like the photos to remain in a 'photo state', because if you work them too much it's not a true photograph anymore, and is heading more into manipulation/digital art area (which is all well and good, but I like to stay in the photo state.) All I do is increase the contrast to bring out the intensities of the colours and textures, increase or decrease brightness depending on the 'feel' I'm after, and every now and again I'll do colour selections and fix colours up manually - because depending on the lighting situation of the original area, colours don't always come out great. For instance a white wall in complete shadow will look purple/violetish - and I like to tone that down by decreasing contrast and saturation of that tone, and playing with the colour balance until it looks more natural and how the wall would have look had it not been shadowed.

In some photographs (like 'Distanced', a recent one on my page), I like to employ a slightly more complex technique I call 'Digital Cross Processing', which is basically playing with the photos curves and colour balance to bring about a similar look to that cross processing film does.

All in all I think the original photo has to be a strong one though, and so that's what gets my most attention. The actual act of selecting and composing.

You are right about the different moods in the work.... that's something I like to try and work with. I like to make some works feel cold and distant, very sterile and lacking a human element. And then I like to make things feel very warm and personal, very contemplative. The original photo will always give off some kind of feel itself, and it's usually the general feeling I got from the area it was taken - then I feel my job is to communicate that feeling to my audience. This is sometimes a real challenge considering the nature of my subject matter - tiny sections of city walls! But if you can pump the feeling of a whole alley in to such a tiny section, I think that's a really cool thing.

I guess the best advice I can give is to keep experimenting, just keep on shooting. After a while you will start to realise what it is you really like, and that's when it gets really exciting, as you can start to develop your own style and really take the time to explore a particular subject manner from many different angles (both technically and conceptually).

Anyway, I hope that answers your questions! Thanks so much for the compliments and taking the time to offer me some feedback, I appreciate it very much so. Good luck with your photographic endeavors! :)

RosyCheeks

HSC
dollarfifty said:
Hey Yall,

Just wondering if anyone has actually learnt anything or received any good advice from their art teacher for their major work or the theory or whatever, I mean my art teachers real good and got her doctorate and all but she just doesnt seem to know how to teach the subject, or follow the syllabus! Can anyone help with actual advice, tips, and things I may need to know to get by. :confused:
you think that is bad...? my drama teacher started... and i say STARTED... teaching us one of our texts (thats out of 4 of them) 1 week before the end of school forever!!! that was a week ago!! and we only spent max four lessons on anouther one. with those two combined we are supposed to write an essay on them. she also barely taught us nething on a beautiful life.. wat do you think of that...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)