• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Arts/Law question (1 Viewer)

hApPy1

HSC
Hey ppl! i have an urgent question in terms of Arts/Law - how many 'majors' (not sure if thats what they r really called) can u take up in a degree.

Breaking it down- my choice would consititute of two degrees- Arts and Law- I beleive Law is pretty much set out for u topic wise and we have no say in what we learn- but in the combined Arts degree- i am interested in English, History, psychology, philosophy, linguistics......basically i want to know how many 'majors' or 'minors' i can do.

Do i have any idea what im talkin about? If anyone knows- plz let me know if im ive got anythin right here- and if so...would u be able to clear up that question or the many misunderstandings i have...

....yes, i should have looked into this earlier i realise- stupid HSC majors....

ps. Any arts/law students plz show urself- if u dont mind- just so i know who i should talk to in future.

Thanx peeps :)

suz

HSC
hey there....

Um i'm not too sure myself but im guessin u couldn do more than a double major, i mean considerin u would still have ur law degree that is pretty hectic anyway!!!!
I myself have one major and a double minor, so that way u can sort of do subjects from say three main areas throughout the main part of ur arts degree. The workload for law is pretty big not to mention that u r restricted in terms of credit points dedicated to arts
Basically from the way I organised my degree, I studied three different areas in first year n then i have two (history and politics) in second and third year
Sorry if this isn makin any sense lol mayb some1 else could help me out here!!!
Anyway if u have any specific questions feel free to post, there r a few of us arts/law students here happy to help!!!
Good luck with everything...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It's either one of these:

1 Major
1 Major and 1 Minor
1 Major and 2 Minors
2 Majors

santaslayer

HSC
2 majors are only available for UoW students.
most other unis won't allow a double major if your degree is combined with law.

hApPy1

HSC
Well thanx heaps everyone! u answered it in better terms than i could question! i confuse myself alot.

But yeah- i went to the info night yesterday n spoke to sum dude there who was helpful---------bascially what i learnt is that a combined degree (Arts/Law) are two independant degrees that do not correlate- content-wise

but yes- im learnin sumthin everyday- im just having sum trouble deciding what to put as my nine preferences! especially with what uni i should goto....i mean, unsw and syd are notorious for their prestige and all- 99.60 uai!!!

tho wollongong is 91 (plus i get an extra 3 points)

there is bias on which uni u should go to no matter what- but degree-wise ...does it really make a difference in teh end what uni u went to? i mean, they say employers only look at the degree not the uni....does going to UNSW not influence employers at all?

sorry guys- kinda driffting off topic- just want t know whether or not its a waste of space to put

Uni of Syd -Arts/Law 99.60

OR

UNSW- Arts/Law 99.15

as first two prefernces- i go well at skool (90's usually) but dunno if ill get 99.00

HELP! and thanx for ur help so far :)

heidi_kak

HSC
hApPy1 said:
sorry guys- kinda driffting off topic- just want t know whether or not its a waste of space to put

Uni of Syd -Arts/Law 99.60

OR

UNSW- Arts/Law 99.15

as first two prefernces- i go well at skool (90's usually) but dunno if ill get 99.00

HELP! and thanx for ur help so far :)
It's not a waste of space. you can always change it when you get your UAI anyway.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Sydney Uni and Uni of NSW have the prestige for sure but UOW is actually a very good law school, Ive done one of my placements at the District Court in Sydney and when I was asked what law school I came from everyone seemed to be very approving, one barrister even said that the graduates coming through are very impressive and its certainly building a name.

As far as Arts/Law goes, I started off doing it last year (Im now just doing straight law and will finish the theory part of my degree next year and the year after will do my practical training), you're basically best off doing a few different subjects in first year to get a taste of what they're really like (I did history and politics cos thats what I loved at school but got to uni and hated them) and then choose a major and if you like, a couple of minors. Theres room to do it, but the only rule is that you must have done a major. The rest is up to you.

Keep working hard and theres a very real chance you'll get into whatever law school you want!

santaslayer

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Sydney Uni and Uni of NSW have the prestige for sure but UOW is actually a very good law school, Ive done one of my placements at the District Court in Sydney and when I was asked what law school I came from everyone seemed to be very approving, one barrister even said that the graduates coming through are very impressive and its certainly building a name.

As far as Arts/Law goes, I started off doing it last year (Im now just doing straight law and will finish the theory part of my degree next year and the year after will do my practical training), you're basically best off doing a few different subjects in first year to get a taste of what they're really like (I did history and politics cos thats what I loved at school but got to uni and hated them) and then choose a major and if you like, a couple of minors. Theres room to do it, but the only rule is that you must have done a major. The rest is up to you.

Keep working hard and theres a very real chance you'll get into whatever law school you want!
whoa...

ur're REALLY far ahead...thats impressive.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Nah I haven't finished it Ive abandoned it hehe. They've introduced a straight law course so I dropped arts, I only did like 3 arts subjects last year and none this year. This semester Im doing Public B, Advocacy, Evidence and Indigenous Legal Systems (elective).

santaslayer

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Nah I haven't finished it Ive abandoned it hehe. They've introduced a straight law course so I dropped arts, I only did like 3 arts subjects last year and none this year. This semester Im doing Public B, Advocacy, Evidence and Indigenous Legal Systems (elective).
I hope Ms 12 hires me once I graduate.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
santaslayer said:
I hope Ms 12 hires me once I graduate.
I hope someone hires me if I ever graduate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)